Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Belt explosion nightmares!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Belt explosion nightmares!

Hi everyone

I need help finding a solution to belt overheating and blowing up frequently on the wildcat, we have two units with the push turbo stage 2 at 10 psi each, there is no way to keep the belts from overheating, we race a lot this units and we need to find a way to keep the belts alive.

We tried the evp belts, stock belts, installing a fan directly on the belt case, torqueing to specs the clutches, scotchbrite clean the clutches, we also did the proper break in on the belts, etc...

Is there a reliable aftermarket solution to keep the belts from exploding?

I open to all suggestions!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kinetikavfx; 10-13-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9033 times
    Welcome kinetikavfx. If your clutch and your secondary are out of line, definitely would contribute to the heat and belt breaking. I'm thinking it has to be your machines, guys did the Baja without breaking belts.
    izom likes this.
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms & A Arms, 12 mm Stud Kit
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    EVO Bullet Muffler & Reflash
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    803 times
    Belt alignment is the first thing. You should be able to slip a business card down both sides of the belt on the primary. If one side is tight then you need to shim the secondary.

Second, a heavier secondary spring adds more clamping force to the clutch to keep the clutch from slipping. Not sure what clutch work you have with the Push turbo but it is something to consider.

What fan do you have on the clutch housing? Speed uses a stock XX radiator fan on the clutch cover right over the secondary and they have great belt life.

I saw a Supercharged XX blow a belt while running hard in some heavy sand whoops, and then blow another one on the road a little while later. It turns out the secondary sheave got bent when the first belt broke and then the new belt had no chance. We changed the secondary sheave and no more problems.

Also you probably know to never try to build boost while on the brake for a launch. This will hour-glass a belt instantly.

Last, give us some info, details, pics, opinions, about the Push turbo. There's not much info out there and some of us are considering it.
    Jbl likes this.
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Got a RZR XPT..hauls ass, rides great, handles terrible, sucks in the whoops

Now....Speed XX #32

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The push turbo kit is very improvised, I would not recomend it, it does provide decent power but Idk how long will it last, it uses a dinojet power commander v and a display from them too, the turbo unit itself appears to be a a garret Chinese knock off (te turbo unit has no branding at all) , the water to air intercooler has a very small water pump imo, the intercooler radiator itself it's too small also, whe installed Hess aftermarket rear mounted radiators, and Andrew from LaRue performance recommended me to replace the intercooler radiator for the original wildcat radiator for better air intake temperatures.

I will check the clutch alignment, I haven't check that.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Also, whe are using the push turbo branded Helix, but it makes no difference at all, the units still have the stock springs on the secondary.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The fan that we are using is an spare one from the Hess radiator kit, very powerful, it helps a little, but just a little, not a good solution.

Member #
    Liked
    291 times
    Find a good CVT tuner and have them help you. Many good suggestions here but it is better to defer to a good tuner.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverlost View Post
    Find a good CVT tuner and have them help you. Many good suggestions here but it is better to defer to a good tuner.
    I live in Ecuador, we don't have someone that is an expert tuning cvt's

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I was checking the shop manual and they use a clutch aligning bar, that literally looks like a stick but there is no very much information or tips on how to use it, anyone here has any info on that tool? Can it be replicated somehow?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAWLR View Post
    Belt alignment is the first thing. You should be able to slip a business card down both sides of the belt on the primary. If one side is tight then you need to shim the secondary.

Second, a heavier secondary spring adds more clamping force to the clutch to keep the clutch from slipping. Not sure what clutch work you have with the Push turbo but it is something to consider.

What fan do you have on the clutch housing? Speed uses a stock XX radiator fan on the clutch cover right over the secondary and they have great belt life.

I saw a Supercharged XX blow a belt while running hard in some heavy sand whoops, and then blow another one on the road a little while later. It turns out the secondary sheave got bent when the first belt broke and then the new belt had no chance. We changed the secondary sheave and no more problems.

Also you probably know to never try to build boost while on the brake for a launch. This will hour-glass a belt instantly.

Last, give us some info, details, pics, opinions, about the Push turbo. There's not much info out there and some of us are considering it.
    Here are some pictures of the push turbo install, the bov is a Chinese toy, and the turbo appears to be a garret copy, we also use the secondary Helix and spring from them.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    122 times
    wow,,,,,, i have had noithing but good luck with my stage 2 push kit .i thought we are talking clutching not bashing products

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gaser View Post
    wow,,,,,, i have had noithing but good luck with my stage 2 push kit .i thought we are talking clutching not bashing products
    I do not own the cars, I'm just working on them, someone asked what do I think about the kit, that is just my opinion, not trying to offend anyone, just my opinion like I said.

Mark7 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    122 times
    Sounds like to me it’s just your two cents worth or your opinion and you know what they say about opinions

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    519 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gaser View Post
    Sounds like to me it’s just your two cents worth or your opinion and you know what they say about opinions
    He did say it was just his opinion. I have seen troubling things about Push in recent months, more so about their customer service/support, but still. It looks like Ken is struggling a bit.
    2016 Wildcat X
    SidexSideAudio System
    Dragonfire Harness Bar
    PRP Harnesses
    AC Rock Sliders
    AC Soft Top
    Bad Dawg Box
    Highlifter Radius Rods
    D & P Performance Tie Rods
    AJ's Tub Guards
    30X10X14 Carnivores
    12MM Studs
    EMP Side Mirrors
    Much much more to come..

Started emptying my wallet with a 2014 Trail.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark7 View Post
    He did say it was just his opinion. I have seen troubling things about Push in recent months, more so about their customer service/support, but still. It looks like Ken is struggling a bit.
    Well I'm just comparing the push turbo quality and setup to what I know, I installed a couple of stage 3 and 4 from evp on some canam maverick and the quality of evp is far superior.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links