Baja 1k - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Baja 1k

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sand shark View Post
    They are a force in Baja. Wes Miller ain't doing to bad either for a former quad racer.

TT racing is next level money. How badass was it for Nassar and Toby to come in second place and it being Nassar's first time in baja. How about Dan McMillan buying the truck after the race. I don't know what Jesse Jones does business wise, but he sure buys and sells a lot of trucks.

I am surprise we don't see more of the Dakar bike racers at the Baja 1000
    TT racing is absolutely next level! However, it was just proven that one of the lower budget TT teams (still spending close to 6 figures in prep costs) can win the B1k also! Ampudia definitely is not spending what Menzies, McMillin's, Rob Mac, etc. are paying to be competitive.

Jesse Jones just recently sold his Aerospace Machining/Manufacturing business for big money in Arizona. His son AJ says he will probably lay low for a year, then get bored and buy something else! haha

Dan McMillin had a deal with Jesse to take that truck after the 1000 no matter the outcome of the race. Truck was personally delivered by Jesse, Toby, and Nasser to the McMillin shop Monday around lunch after the 1000. Man of his word, how cool is that!

Dan and Luke trucks are next on the Mason Motorsports fixture table. Jesse will take Dan's current spot.

Member #
    Liked
    1001 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
    Been watching Price since he came upon the Dakar scene. He is the BOMB...I am not surprised what he did in his first 540 miles in a TT in Baja.
    He is magic on a bike...but it appears he decided to look closely at his long term existence on this earth. (ie- cage)
    Too bad Fabrizio Meoni never made it there (RIP)... He was an absolute animal. I think he could pick up that big KTM with his arms and toss it.

I have always said bike (and some quad) racers make the best off road car racers. You learn to "feel" what you are doing and react instinctively instead of making a decision.
    I was probably the fastest on a bike when I hit 50...because of that second nature from experience. It took me that long for that experience because I only did it recreational. (and I rarely crashed) Pro bike guys obviously learn that much sooner with more time on the bike quicker.

Nasser is good but he ain't no Toby price.
    He made it with dinero...but he did stick to it to get as good as he is.

Big congrats to Wes Miller also...he did GREAT this year.
    Being able to react all those years on a bike or quad helps. Toby is a beast, but I don't think he is giving up the bike anytime soon. He was fun to watch a Dakar hanging in there with a messed up wrist. Felt bad for Ricky blowing a motor with the Dakar win right there.

Nassar is a great driver and I think his greatest assest is being able to drive fast, but not kill the equipement. Kinda what Andy and Bryce are able to do.

Member #
    Liked
    1001 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Built4Baja View Post
    TT racing is absolutely next level! However, it was just proven that one of the lower budget TT teams (still spending close to 6 figures in prep costs) can win the B1k also! Ampudia definitely is not spending what Menzies, McMillin's, Rob Mac, etc. are paying to be competitive.

Jesse Jones just recently sold his Aerospace Machining/Manufacturing business for big money in Arizona. His son AJ says he will probably lay low for a year, then get bored and buy something else! haha

Dan McMillin had a deal with Jesse to take that truck after the 1000 no matter the outcome of the race. Truck was personally delivered by Jesse, Toby, and Nasser to the McMillin shop Monday around lunch after the 1000. Man of his word, how cool is that!

Dan and Luke trucks are next on the Mason Motorsports fixture table. Jesse will take Dan's current spot.
    Ampudia I bet spends close to what Rob Mac and the rest spent. They run the Lucas Oil Pro2 truck along with the SCORE schedule.

My friend is a doubter of the Awd trucks. I keep telling him all the big names will be running them soon. Crazy to think a company that was making Rhino parts is now a premier truck builder.

I imagine BJ Baldwin will be building a new truck. He needs something to break his string of bad luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    670 times
    ...baja is different then dakar- so are the cars- a good dakar racer not usual a good baja racer...and opposite...

to the 4wd- more parts to break no??

and less suspension??

talkin bout bikes- think johnnycampbell was the best baja racer at a dakar at 6th! if i remember right...
    wildcat 1000 limited 2013,5

H1 650 TRV 2009

Member #
    Liked
    408 times
    Quote Originally Posted by izom View Post
    ...baja is different then dakar- so are the cars- a good dakar racer not usual a good baja racer...and opposite...

and less suspension??

talkin bout bikes- think johnnycampbell was the best baja racer at a dakar at 6th! if i remember right...

Johnny was not that fast...but really experienced, consistent ,smart and smooth...no crash...no break. How do I know he was not that fast? Cause I could keep up with him...for about 5 minutes...lol. Keeps you alive and healthy in the dez...
    izom likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    408 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Built4Baja View Post

I saw Austin on the entry list in a South Racing Can Am in Dakar...with Kellon Walch
    Will be following them along with Currie.

Member #
    Liked
    1001 times

and less suspension??

Awd that Mason Motorsports mades uses Portals and it actually has a good amount of wheel travel 27" up front. The components seem to hold up thus far, but there are more parts that could break. I think the advantages outweigh the negative.

I would think some of the top Dakar drivers could do well in Baja.

I think this year the USA has a chance to get two riders on the podium - Ricky and Short. A healthy Toby Price will be tough to beat.

The best finish for an American rider was Chris Blais with a 3rd in 2007.
    izom likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    670 times
    ..even more intersting that many dakar teams changed to 2wd buggies- like VW and peugeot !?? ;- ()
    wildcat 1000 limited 2013,5

H1 650 TRV 2009

Member #
    Liked
    1001 times
    ..even more intersting that many dakar teams changed to 2wd buggies- like VW and peugeot !?? ;- ()
    Most of the racing has turned into 80% sand dunes, so 2wd and light weight works. This years Dakar is going to be interesting now that moved it to Saudi Arabia.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links