Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my 17 trail i noticed the last few rides was hard to steer even with power steering. i jacked the front up at home and when you spin one wheel they both turn forwards or backwards together. the machine is in 2 wheel drive and they spin with the back wheels on the ground, flip the switch to 4x4 and they wont spin at all with the backs on the ground, which makes sense. put it in lock and no change. i have tried going forwards and backwards doing all the tricks for getting out of diff lock when its stuck in and nothing. both front wheels just always spin together. would that be a sign something has gone wrong inside my diff? my last trip out i had an axle come out in the front because of a boot that needed burped on a new axle, didnt notice till diff got full of water. drained the diff as soon as i got home and refilled with clean oil, not sure if that would hurt anything for the diff lock. when flipping from 2wd to 4wd and into lock and out of them you can hear the actuator going and the dash shows the right things on the display. I also had a look and the actuator is moving in and out

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i gave it a try and cant turn one wheel when one is on the ground. its really strange, with a pair of pliers i can push the actuator in and out myself to. it seems like it just wont go in enough to disengage maybe. to check it closer would i have to remove the diff and take it apart?

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Not positive on this but I had to replace an actuator on one of the atv's several years ago and it seems there were two different motions for 4 wheel engage and another for lock, sounds like your engage works but the lock is hung up. Hopefully someone with more familiarity with this operation will weigh in

·
Registered
280 Posts
Might need to pull that side cover off and clean that bore up a little. I have had to do that on more than one of these diffs. It doesnt take much and that shaft gets hung up in there and wont go back in like it should.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might need to pull that side cover off and clean that bore up a little. I have had to do that on more than one of these diffs. It doesnt take much and that shaft gets hung up in there and wont go back in like it should.
alright, ill have a closer look and see, hopefully that's all it needs!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like some dirt might have gotten in the Diff. when the water did. Causing something to get stuck. Diff. needs to be taken apart and cleaned out/inspected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts