Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am chasing down a leak in the primary (clutch) shaft. EVERYTHING is new, but it still leaks. I am 90% sure that I boogered the main seal last time I installed (this time I used a seal driver and a press…it’s PERFECT). BUT…while I was in there, I noticed that the little blue seal (#8) that is INSIDE the clutch cover (clutch shaft #9) does not ride *around* anything at all. It is quite a bit smaller in diameter than the nub sticking out of the clutch pack, and it does not have a double lip/spring like every other seal in the world. This leads me to believe that it seals against the FACE of the nub on the clutch pack. Is this correct? #7 in the picture is the nut that retains the clutch pack.

https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/arc/54f49ffd87a8651b2c41d810/transmission-assembly-engine-serial-no-20044790-and-up

Clutch.png

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
That little seal helps to direct the oil to the wet clutch shoes. If it wasn't there the oil would 'leak' back into the engine. It is not sealing anything on the outside of the motor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I suspected as much.

I have a followup...I understand that the clutch cover houses the outer bearing, and it CRITICAL that it remain in place while running. However, I'd like to be able to see inside, just to check leaks. Is there any reason I could not cut that cover vertically between the pulleys and NOT run the rear section? Keep in mind I live in Tucson, Az. Water crossing are NOT an issue :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thank you! I suspected as much.

I have a followup...I understand that the clutch cover houses the outer bearing, and it CRITICAL that it remain in place while running. However, I'd like to be able to see inside, just to check leaks. Is there any reason I could not cut that cover vertically between the pulleys and NOT run the rear section? Keep in mind I live in Tucson, Az. Water crossing are NOT an issue :)
Yes, you can cut the cover between the Primary/secondary, and just run the primary front half for support to the crank. You could even cut it one bolt hole closer than I did in the attached photo. May be easier to view what's going on in the Primary that way.

I ran this way on my previous 12' for over 4 years, no issue.

C-Ya!!

Attachments

Reactions: Jbl

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
When you did your main seal did you replace the O-ring #14 and what did the seal surface on the spacer #15 look like?

Here is a double lip seal part no it is a bit more robust than the OEM single lip

Nat 471950

1 - 5 of 5 Posts