Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2013 1/2 rear axle problems

Soo first off I have 150 miles on my machine so far... Brought it to the dealer cause he offered a free first oil change on the motor and both the front and rear diff... Dealer called said it was done, so I picked it up and brought it to my work and was rippin up and down the long gravel driveway and giving co workers a ride and such. And I let my boss drive it and I was passenger, pulled up to a small hill... Maybe 10ft high and at a 45deg angle and went half way up and rolled back down... Back on flat ground the machine was acting like how a pickup truck does when in 4x4 on pavement while turning... The jumping affect maybe you call it... I knew something wasn't rite but my boss didn't and after we parked I took it down the driveway by myself and now it won't go any faster than 55mph while hitting the rev limiter and does the 4x4 jumping while goin from a dead stop till about 10 mph then goes away. Took it back to dealer now with 153 miles on it and still being the same day and he says its my limited slip that went out in the rear diff... Which don't make sense to me,,, also said the limited slip slipping was causing it not to go faster than 50 mph... To me if the limited slip wasn't working it would be a one wheel wonder.. I could be wrong but that's what I know, anyway the dealer says everything is covered under warranty and I'll keep all posted if I hear anything else from the dealer... Anyone have any similar situations? Or know what could be goin on here besides what the dealer is telling me?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
The more popular the WC gets the more intertaining the post get.....Like TX said find a new dealer!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to buy one in minnesota and save a couple grand in the process... But I had issues with a 2013 AC 1100 turbo sled that I bought in minnesota and me living 8 hours from where I bought it I wanted this time to buy local in case I did have problems with the WC, with the sled I blew 8 belts in 900 miles.. $1,000 dollars in belts and no updates in site I didn't want to pay to fix what I knew needed to be fixed by arctic cat,,, soo I traded the 1100T in for the WC.. along with my 2010 crossfire 800, the dealer gave me a hard time about fixing my 1100t under warranty because I had not bought it from him and bought in MN. Anyway now that I bought from him he completely changed his costumer services towards me... And I told him I'm goin to freak out if the WC is goin to give me problems every 100 miles like my 1100 and the belt blowing, he guarantees that it won't... And I think my dealer is the only one now within 100miles where I live since the smaller dealers are not carrying contracts with AC anymore.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Maybe the term limited slip is being confused with spike load damper?
I know
What the spike load dampner sounds like cause I watched the video on the forum to maybe see if that's what it was.... It's nothing like that, there is a slow clicking sound as you slowly accelerate coming from the rear end.. and a feeling like the WC is lurching forward like a truck in 4wd turning on asphalt. And then goes away after 10 to 15 mph. Also the spike load damper wouldn't cause it it top out at 55mph while bouncing off the rev limiter. At least I wouldn't think it would? You think it could be a belt issue? Like the belt rolled itself? Also feels like the clutch is engaging and disengaged till it hits the 15mph mark, also when the dealer drove it into the shop the whole motor was shaking or wobling back an fourth... Maybe a broken motor mount? Idk I'm sure the dealer will figure it out, I just wanted to see if anyone on here had the same problem, also those 150 where all gravel road miles cruzin at 70-75 the whole time with maybe 10 miles of the 150 were Drivin in ditches with 2ft of snow

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
dropped a weight on its side in the primary. my 2 cents

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ya, IDK.... sounds like a pretty obvious problem so you'd think the dealer will get it sorted out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I talked to the dealer today and he says arctic cat is sending him a new spike load dampner and he says that my belt was twisted and that the belt had a bunch bunch of flat spots... I don't know how you get flat spots cruzin at 70 mph but maybe from the SLD going bad perhaps... Idk to me the click sound it was makin sounded nothing like the clicks I heard on the vid I watched on this site. If it not the SLD then he said its in the tranny and if its in the tranny he's going to push AC for a new motor to be put in my WC.... Next week he gets the parts so I'll let ya know if it fixed the prob or not

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
So this is the new one with the team clutch? Sounds like your boss was slipping the belt while trying to climb the hill. Kinda like riding the clutch on a stick shift. That's the advantage of the wet clutch, it slips at slow speed to prevent the belt from slipping. You can't ride the engagement of the clutch with the new style, it will burn the belt. Either go or don't go, no in between. I'm sure the spike load dampener is fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So this is the new one with the team clutch? Sounds like your boss was slipping the belt while trying to climb the hill. Kinda like riding the clutch on a stick shift. That's the advantage of the wet clutch, it slips at slow speed to prevent the belt from slipping. You can't ride the engagement of the clutch with the new style, it will burn the belt. Either go or don't go, no in between. I'm sure the spike load dampener is fine.
yes I'm sure everyone wants to believe that my boss was slipping the belt and he wasn't... He was at speed before and during climbing the hill, no stop and go, and yes this is the WC with the new team clutches

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
"Maybe 10ft high and at a 45deg angle and went half way up and rolled back down..."

You said right here that he stopped on the hill. Doesn't get any more 'stop and go' than that. That's where the belt got a flat spot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Maybe 10ft high and at a 45deg angle and went half way up and rolled back down..."

You said right here that he stopped on the hill. Doesn't get any more 'stop and go' than that. That's where the belt got a flat spot.
He stopped and went backwards not forward, and not like he went half way up and came to a stop and was still on the throttle, and the the dealer said spots on the belt where it was burned not just one spot...

·
Registered
986 Posts
I know
What the spike load dampner sounds like cause I watched the video on the forum to maybe see if that's what it was.... It's nothing like that, there is a slow clicking sound as you slowly accelerate coming from the rear end.. and a feeling like the WC is lurching forward like a truck in 4wd turning on asphalt. And then goes away after 10 to 15 mph. Also the spike load damper wouldn't cause it it top out at 55mph while bouncing off the rev limiter. At least I wouldn't think it would? You think it could be a belt issue? Like the belt rolled itself? Also feels like the clutch is engaging and disengaged till it hits the 15mph mark, also when the dealer drove it into the shop the whole motor was shaking or wobling back an fourth... Maybe a broken motor mount? Idk I'm sure the dealer will figure it out, I just wanted to see if anyone on here had the same problem, also those 150 where all gravel road miles cruzin at 70-75 the whole time with maybe 10 miles of the 150 were Drivin in ditches with 2ft of snow
I have seen exactly this same behavior on a 4 seater. They drove it for a demo doing some climbing and things in the woods. After that it would lurch forward at low rpm in a very jerky jumpy fashion, and the whole motor would shake like it wasn't connected to the frame anymore. It also made some gnarly noises while it was doing this. Once you revved it up a bit, it acted normal. Now you have peaked my curiosity. This dealer thought he had burned some flat spots on the belt, but I doubted that based on the extreme out of balance looking shake of the engine and the sound. Please keep us posted what the fix is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have seen exactly this same behavior on a 4 seater. They drove it for a demo doing some climbing and things in the woods. After that it would lurch forward at low rpm in a very jerky jumpy fashion, and the whole motor would shake like it wasn't connected to the frame anymore. It also made some gnarly noises while it was doing this. Once you revved it up a bit, it acted normal. Now you have peaked my curiosity. This dealer thought he had burned some flat spots on the belt, but I doubted that based on the extreme out of balance looking shake of the engine and the sound. Please keep us posted what the fix is.
YES!!!! Exactly what I'm trying to say.. you know exactly what I'm talking about because you just described exactly what the WC was doing and thanks for that... Sounds like the 4 seater has all the same symptoms but do you know if it had the 55mph bouncing off the rev limiter symptoms? If you find any more info on the 4seater let me know and I'll do the same when I find any new info from my dealer or when its done and I put some more miles on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also Redflametech how many miles were on the demo when it happened? Does this demo have the New team clutches? What year and model is the demo?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Any update on your problem?
YES!!! Matter fact I picked it up yesterday and put about 30 miles on it tonight, turned out that all the dealer did was throw a new belt on and put a new spike load dampner in the rear diff.... It's weird how it was the SLD that was bad because it made no clicking noise like its known to do... All it did was slip... So Idk its all good now and even the dealer was shocked at first that all it was was the SLD, took it out tonight in the mud and snow and went 75 down the road and cruised up and down main street of velva a couple time and that's bout it, all is good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire here is the pic of the aftermath of drivin around breaking in the pos SLD

1 - 20 of 42 Posts