Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, this is my first post although I have been reading many of your posts for the past few months since I've had my cat. I bought this 2013 (wet clutch) wildcat 1000 about 10 months ago. It only had 1800 miles when I bought it and ran perfectly up until about 2500 miles when it blew the clutch seal. I replaced the seal and adjusted the valves and got it all back together and it was great, better than ever. I brought it out for a test ride of about 5 miles and it was great only stopped because it got dark. Well 2 days later I took it out for another spin and it was great. I pulled over just to let my buddy know how good it felt. When I started it back up this is what it sounded like and it was very weak when I pushed the gas pedal so I towed it back to the truck. I pulled the belt cover off but everything was tight in there and now I've turned to this forum for some suggestions. If there's any other info you might need let me know and I'll post it as soon as I can.

And NO Wildcats dont just sound like this!

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Can you determine where the sound is coming from? Listen through a length of garden hose and move around the engine until it sounds louder.

Since you adjusted the valves recently, I would probably start there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I opened up one of the valve covers and found smal mangled up piece of hard plastic. Looks like chewing gum. I'm having a hell of a time trying to post pics.

·
Premium Member
8,032 Posts
I opened up one of the valve covers and found smal mangled up piece of hard plastic. Looks like chewing gum. I'm having a hell of a time trying to post pics.
might be a limitation of the site...believe you have to have so many posts...not sure if the number is 5 posts or not...keep trying as you make more posts on this thread...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
might be a limitation of the site...believe you have to have so many posts...not sure if the number is 5 posts or not...keep trying as you make more posts on this thread...
I tried again when I had a better connection at hom not sure if that's it but they loaded right up this time

This is under the rear top end exhaust valve cover.

Auto part Engine Automotive fuel system Vehicle Auto part Automotive fuel system Fuel line Engine Automotive engine part

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
The color of the plastic is close to that of the timing chain guides.

Looks like you pulled it out of the rear cylinder. I think my next move would be to pull the magneto/stator cover off, since the timing chain might be capable of lifting debris from that area into the top of the cylinder. Plus, the clearance between the flywheel and the stator is small enough to grind plastic parts down.

I have to say that I'm surprised that the plastic debris looks like it was melted and not ground up. That takes some real heat - nylons melt somewhere above 400f.

IIRC, the timing chain guides are put in place before the cylinder head is installed on top of the cylinder. If the blob is from a guide or guides, it won't be a quick and dirty repair if my memory is accurate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My coolant system wasnt burped properly and had an air bubble, so it overheated and melted my cam chain guide on the rear cylinder. But after replacing the guides I rode about 60 miles and the front cylinder broke and bent my crank. Im having the motor rebuilt now

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am sorry to revive a dead post, I am having the same sound on my 13 trv 1000. I tore the engine down replaced every bearing possible in the case. The crank bearings have no play they are in great condition. replaced the timing chains and the guides, rebuilt the valve system (left the cams they looked good still) fired the bike up and the exact same noise as before and it sounds exactly like the noise your wildcat is making. any news as to what is causing that.
My one bearing is good, I removed to make sure that was not the issue. pulled the engine again to make sure my valves and timing was not out of spec. I am at my wits end on this. any input would be great! thanks in advance and sorry again for reviving a old post!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am sorry to revive a dead post, I am having the same sound on my 13 trv 1000. I tore the engine down replaced every bearing possible in the case. The crank bearings have no play they are in great condition. replaced the timing chains and the guides, rebuilt the valve system (left the cams they looked good still) fired the bike up and the exact same noise as before and it sounds exactly like the noise your wildcat is making. any news as to what is causing that.
My one bearing is good, I removed to make sure that was not the issue. pulled the engine again to make sure my valves and timing was not out of spec. I am at my wits end on this. any input would be great! thanks in advance and sorry again for reviving a old post!
Did you ever find your noise?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find your noise?
I rebuilt the engine, cams, chains pistons, rings, cylinders, elk bearings in the engine. Still makes a noise. I am at wits end so I guess I’ll put a louder pipe on it. There is nothing mechanically wrong with the motor, before or after.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts