Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a 2013 Wildcat 4 on Friday 3/15 and head out to glamis that day. The dealer told me not to take it to the dunes so I avoided the dunes until after the break in period. Well I never got through the break in period. After 24 miles and 1.9 hours other unit, the clutch belt has already broke.. I spent over $200.00 in gas and drove over 450 miles to only ride the unit for less than 2 hours. I think artic cat should compensate me for this. Here I buy a brand new unit and it is already at the dealership. Anyone else have this problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
same thing

I had the same deal on a 2012 two seater and i even put two new belts on it before i gave up and headed home to drop it off at the dealer and said if it can't get any better i want my money back. belive it or not i am still on the belt they put on over a year ago and no more problems. all i know is the changed rollers

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
You went for a ride without a spare belt and tools to change it? That's not their fault. If you had the spare belt and tools with you, you might have salvaged the trip.

Reactions: RACER J and Kuneff

·
Administrator
27,995 Posts
That does suck, but that belt doesn't look right also. To me that looks like the primary, and secondary aren't lined up correctly. It has happened in the past. That's a weird wear pattern. Bring it back to your dealer, explain what happened (without screaming at him), maybe he'll see it is out of alignment, and put a new belt on. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Send me your front calipers, pads, knuckles, and brake lines and I will send you a special magic belt I have in the shop. It comes with a 5/50 warranty. Problem solved!

·
Administrator
27,995 Posts
Send me your front calipers, pads, knuckles, and brake lines and I will send you a special magic belt I have in the shop. It comes with a 5/50 warranty. Problem solved!
LOL! Still don't like that MLS price, huh?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I feel your pain!!! Same thing happened to me last year on my first trip with mine. Except it wasn't a belt, it was an axle. Happened with less than 20 miles on the Odometer.

SoCal, give the guy a break. Whether he had a spare belt or not, it breaking on his first trip is complete crap! Of course we should all have spare belts, and other parts, but that is just ridiculous!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I'm confident the reason these blow belts so much is due to heat soak. I'm sure there are clutch and belt issues that also are a cause. The wildcat is the only sxs that draws air from under the hood, less than 12" from the front cylinder and head pipe. The cvt intake on an xp is 4" tubing to an airbox that draws air from the outside.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
LOL! Still don't like that MLS price, huh?
Time will tell on that price thing, it won't be long before the parts are available to everyone and unlike some others I have patience I don't have to have it right now today. But I do suspect I will be able to buy the components cheaper.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You drove 450 miles to the sand dunes and didn't bring a extra belt? I personally don't think Arctic Cat is to blame but good luck fighting them on that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You drove 450 miles to the sand dunes and didn't bring a extra belt? I personally don't think Arctic Cat is to blame but good luck fighting them on that.
I'm kind of with you on this because I have always carried spares but where does it say in the owners manual that you should carry a spare belt due to the fact their belt life is only a couple hundred miles ? I've been through 3 belts in 365 miles so I know. Last time I did take the time to PATIENTLY break the belt in like D&P told me.. Just cruise for 15 min. then let it cool and do this 3 times. Along with doing this and the WW clutch, have not had any problems lately ? Knock on wood

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
where does it say in the owners manual that you should carry a spare belt due to the fact their belt life is only a couple hundred miles ?
It sucks that the belt broke but these things are built by man which is a known fallible creature.

With that said the manual is not there to cover every circumstance in the world or to take the blame for poor planning, I bet it doesn't say in the manual to bring extra gas for your dune trip either but if you want to make sure a 900 mile round trip has fun that lasts as long as you might like it to you have to take some things into consideration on your own.

·
Administrator
27,995 Posts
Time will tell on that price thing, it won't be long before the parts are available to everyone and unlike some others I have patience I don't have to have it right now today. But I do suspect I will be able to buy the components cheaper.
I hear ya!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts