Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am new to the forum. I have had my 2013 Wildcat X for about a week. I have used it three times and have a total of 95 miles on it. Today about 5 miles into my drive I heard a bang and lost power. Further inspection showed pieces of the drive belt coming out the drive belt vent tube near the engine. I mean big chunks that make it look like it exploded in the housing.

The dealer advised me to take it easy for the first 30 miles to get let break in (when I got it). I did this the first day I got it. Admittedly miles 30 to 95 were not easy dirt road miles. I tackled a variety of terrain types at all sorts of speeds. I have not jumped it outside the air you get off whoops. I have a lot of off road experience and have a good feel for what vehicles should and should not be able to handle.

Luckily a buddy was following me in a pick-up or I would have been stranded in the desert. He towed me back to my trailer.

I am really bummed out the belt just nuked. I spoke to the dealer and they will talk to Arctic Cat Monday.

What is a real bummer is that the dealer is telling me changing the belt is not something I can do (it is easy to change belts on snowmobiles for example). They are telling me I need a massive impact gun in the 3/4 to 1 inch size (thats big) to get some nut off inside the drive belt system. This totally blows as I live about 300 miles from a dealer.

The Wildcat X is amazing offroad. My Ford Raptors can not keep up with it. But I am super-bummed a belt nuked. I have never seen a belt come apart like this.

I would suggest if you are thinking about getting a 2013 Wildcat X you hold off and see what happens with belt issues. I have found one other owners saying his belt broke at 19 miles. So I will let you all know what happens. I hope this was a one time event as I enjoyed the Wildcat a lot. Lots of fun to tear butt around in. Very disappointed this happened and that the system is engineered in such a way it is not easily fixed.

Sean

·
Registered
889 Posts
It exploded because it got too hot. Need to make sure when get the oils out of the new one when you put it in. Don't worry, once you get a good belt in there that has been dried out it wont do this any more. get it worked out and enjoy that X.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my next question - how do you change the belt in the field are at your garage. I would love to see some instructions specific to the 2013 X.

The dealer was saying you have to get one of the main nuts off and it is really hard to do. They were suggesting only a dealer can get it done.

Can some of you guys give me some more detailed info and maybe I will try it myself.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Ok not to stray from the subject, but it does have to do with belt longevity, what is the break in period on a belt for the wildcat? The high hp sleds require a 25 mile period under 3/4 throttle lower then 65mph break in period. No where in my owners manual does it say that it has a break in period for the belt.

The reason I ask is when the belts are cut they do not perfectly match the profile of the primary/secondary, so you have to wear the belt into that profile not to mention it cartelized the edges so it almost heat cycles the belt increasing longevity. I would think a similar thing is required for this unit given the hp and weight of the unit.

Reactions: Wild cat 79

·
Registered
415 Posts
lossen clamp on the ducked hose (black plastic ) then take cover off then you can see clutches clean out the belt chunks use L wrench in tool kit under driver seat. On the secondary clutch you can see where you can screw L wrench in too open secondary up after it is all clean of broken belt put new belt on the primary first then walk it around secondary it will be tight but it will go .Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
that's gotta suck, i broke 2 belts in the same day on my rzr, and got 1200 plus on another belt, poo happens.
never broken a belt on my cat yet. breakin on a belt should be done over days, not in a single 40 mile ride. 15-20 minutes, stop, park it till its TOTALLY cooled down, do this at least 4-6 times before taking it on long rides. only my opinion, no scientific proof, lol

·
Registered
388 Posts
ges
Have you changed the 2013.5 belt? My dealer also said u would have to take off the lower shock to get the cover off and get the impact to the primary nut. They also said unable to do it in the field.

By the way I took my X out for the first time to the sand dunes. Put about 45 miles on it. I did burnish the breaks the day before and that's it. I felt the clutch cover after every ride. It was hot but not so hot it caused you to instantly pull your hand away. Dealer said it is a good idea to let the X idle for 1 minute to help get the hot air out of the cover. I will get a blower, even if the clutch is fixed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ges
Have you changed the 2013.5 belt? My dealer also said u would have to take off the lower shock to get the cover off and get the impact to the primary nut. They also said unable to do it in the field.
From what I've determined, all Team clutchs on the Wildcat use a new part number belt.

Being the dealer that sold this X to Sean, we have been in communication with him yesterday via phone and serveral times today via e-mail. We have Team clutch belts in stock and will be working with Arctic Cat the first thing Monday (tomorrow) morning to assess what the issue might be.

Sean is a valued customer (the first to put a deposit on the X with us) and we are doing all we can to help with this issue and attempt to restore confidence with him and the Wildcat product. In talking with the dealer owner today, both of us were very concerned all last night (well... we did get some sleep :)) and continue to be so today. We feel for Sean and completely understand and share in his frustration.

·
Registered
388 Posts
" Team clutch belts in stock" my dealer sold me a AC belt that fits the X and WC4. Does Team have there own belt?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
anyone noticed if you belt runs really low in the secondary? on my rzr-s, the secondary had 1/4 in of belt above the secondary sheave, the cat is just below level of the top.
if someone knows if a tiny bit longer belt is available or will the sheaves close tight enough to run a longer belt higher in the secondary?? why? i think it could help produce a lower gear ratio and higher top speed and the belt could run cooler when a tiny bit hangs off top of sheaves?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had the same problem with my wildcat 4 seater. Clutch belt broke 1.9 hours and 25 miles on the unit and chunks of the belt were split out of the clutch breather hose. I have since taken it to the dealership and arctic cat has replaced the belt, but beware, they are telling me thAt they will not cover another one in the future. To me this is terrible service as this is a brand new clutch set up for AC and they do have issues with the belt. My new belt seems to be working fine. I just put another 25 miles on it and seems to be ok. I am currently in the process of adding the Atwood blower to my u into keep the belt nice and cool. I am not surgeon how to change the belt on my own yet, so if anyone knows please update us on this forum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone know if you can order the 2013 service manual online or if you can buy a digital copy for download from any site?

·
Registered
29 Posts
That was my next question - how do you change the belt in the field are at your garage. I would love to see some instructions specific to the 2013 X.

The dealer was saying you have to get one of the main nuts off and it is really hard to do. They were suggesting only a dealer can get it done.

Can some of you guys give me some more detailed info and maybe I will try it myself.

Thanks,
So I just got finished changing my 1st belt after a belt explosion at 200 miles. I am a noob and not a wrencher but I did it. Yes I had to get an electric impact wrench from Harbor Freight and Tools ($45) to take off the primary clutch. It was hard as hell because AC red loctite'd the nut. So I heated it with a $5 torch (~1 min). Then it came off. It was relatively easy to place on the new belt on the secondary clutch as long as you spread the secondary clutch with a LONG bolt from the clutch case. At least that how it is on a NON x version. Check out this vid and @2:37 he describes the spreading of the secondary clutch.

YouTube

Then I had to reposition the rocker weights because mine had all came out of their position. But you had to keep the weight cover pressed onto the weights while re bolting on the primary's nut. Again not sure if the X version is the same.

Take home message. It can be done but you have to do it once in the garage with proper tools.

I still have concerns if this had to be done in the field but I plan on buying an 18 inch breaker bar to use if I'm out.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts