Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 14 4x and I am curious about the issues I have read. I like to get out in the middle of nowhere and just wanted some opinions on how reliable this machine/year is.

·
Administrator
27,616 Posts
Welcome Camden, congrats. I've said this a million times on here, but it's really the luck of the draw when you buy a SXS. Some have no issues, some have nothing but issues.

Once again, maintenance is your friend. Do it, and you'll have less problems (hopefully). Don't do any, and you can get labeled either JBL jr., or Scooby jr., as neither know the word maintenance! Inside joke, but stick around, you'll see.

First, get yourself harnesses and a harness bar. Safety first, harnesses will save your life one day, count on it. Second, buy at least one, if not two extra belts. Learn how to change them in your driveway, so you'll know how out in the field. Break a belt, and you don't have one, you'll be stuck.

Back to maintenance, get in the habit of changing oil and filter (don't overfill), and front and rear diffs. The diffs especially. Minimum is a year / season. Better to do them two or more times depending on how hard you are on your machine.

Carry some tools, wrenches, screwdrivers, torx bits, duct tape, zip ties, phone, radio, etc. That should be with you along with the belts at all times. Try to ride with a buddy too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2014 4x once over.

I would like to do a full service on my machine I know how to do the oil. is there something else I need to do to freshen up the machine that I just bought. Also is there a fuel additive that y’all recommend to clean out the guts

·
Administrator
27,616 Posts
I would like to do a full service on my machine I know how to do the oil. is there something else I need to do to freshen up the machine that I just bought. Also is there a fuel additive that y’all recommend to clean out the guts
Plenty of things you can tackle. I'm not sure if you are aware, but the K&N 621 oil filter is a little longer than the stock one, so filters some more oil. AC hose clamps basically suck. Change them all out for quality hose clamps. Change both the front and rear diffs, with the diff fluid of your choice. Check brake pads for wear. How's your steering? Is it notchy? If it is, there is a felt pad that usually wads up, and should be removed. Check your trailing arm bolts. In fact, wouldn't be bad to order new ones, and nuts. Don't forget to order new belts, and do some heat cycles on them.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Lots of good stuff here.

One thing I had to learn the hard way is just how much vibration there is on these V-twins. I use blue Loctite on just about every fastener on the 'cat that doesn't already have a locknut, locking tab or a jam-nut.I have a nicely calibrated touch for tightening an oil filter enough to not leak and yet come off easily when it is time to change it. Or at least I thought I did until I got our '15 X. I had a filter loosen up and leak after about 250 miles. Fortunately I was driving on a highway and was checking my mirrors super frequently and discovered the leak when I saw smoke. I now use the K&N filters, as they have a nut incorporated into the oil filter shell. You can get it really, really tight and yet get it off with a simple wrench.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow!!!!! Y’all know ur stuff!!!! Sounds like I got a fun day ahead of me tomorrow with that checklist. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
We have over 4k miles o our 14X. 2 - 2.5k were riding alone. Not by choice but just the way our schedule worked out. The previously mentioned check lists are the bible for stress free riding. As for the oil filter I found out the filter wrench for our V6 Toyota Venza works perfect. But after reading this thread I will be getting the K&N.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
...airfilter of course- and look that it seals good and theres no leaks in the airbox....btw dont know the miles- but would do the valves - even it sucks...;- ()

1 - 9 of 9 Posts