Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody. New here, New to ATVs/UTVs. Just got myself a 2014 Trail.

I live in West Virginia, our trails consist pretty much of Hills, Ruts, and Mud Holes. On my first ride I noticed how easily this Trail will scrape or high-center in these Ruts if you slide into them. I scraped on a lot of rocks. Instantly sank into a mud hole that didn't have a path around it. It really wasn't very much fun. I realize a lot of it is driver inexperience, but there is no doubt this lady needs more ground clearance.

I have $2,000 I'm willing to spend on Winch / Wheels / Tires / Lift / Spacers. I was hoping you guys would help me pick the optimal sizes to go with; to make it capable, but not extreme-monster-gumbo-swamper.

IMG_0395.JPG

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Welcome to the forum, someone will have some good advice for you!

Reactions: wvhillbilly

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I got over 600 miles on HMT trails there, love WV! I got a Viper max 3000 winch off MLS as first mod. I recommend a better skid also, made my own so saved big there. I run 27" Kenda Bear claw HTR 8 ply tires, on stock rims. The Trails springs are pretty weak and sag and keep sagging over time. Got Racer Tech dual rate springs which made a great ride improvement and keeps me at 12" GC….can go more but the 12" is working fine…..Bandit springs will probably do about the same and half the cost though so look into them. With your stock rims you can run up to 28" tires, but for the Kenda's in 28" you will need 14" rims, with 14" rims you can go even taller…..however remember the taller you get the tippier you will be……and much over 28" you may need to do some clutch mods…someone better experienced can help you there. Those kenda HTR tires are a great all round tire and one of the lightest weight and affordable tire you can get imho. Recommend harnesses also….I got them because of HMT trails and big hilsl we climb, gotta keep my wife safe as possible. You will want mud flares also…..the list of needs never stops!!! Enjoy the Trail and read as much as you can here, especially ALL the sticky's at the top of the page…...

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
I'm sure Hollywood will chime in here shortly, but being new to the sport, I noticed you don't have harnesses on your machine. You will want to look into installing those, because if you flip it and injure yourself or worse, the other items won't matter much. Not trying to scare you, just want you to be safe and be able to enjoy riding for many years to come. Enjoy your new Trail and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
ditto to all the above and welcome to the forum...stay safe and enjoy your ride...you can read some folks signatures below their entries and see what people are using on their machines...a lot to choose from...we're picking up our second trail the first part of march...can't wait...

Reactions: dragongunner

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
I like the looks of the tires you had installed on your new machine. I'll bet you can't wait to get her out on the trails. It would be like looking at a present under the Christmas tree and not being able to play with it. I don't know how you do it Dean, it would be shear torture for me. LOL!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recommend harnesses also….
I noticed you don't have harnesses on your machine. You will want to look into installing those
Noted, I will start reading about these and add a harness to my first order then.

From reading posts around here; I have decided on 14" Wheels, local UTV shop has STI HD3's that look really good. I *think* I want 9" wide in front and 11" in rear tires. I'm still unsure about optimal Tire Height, if I want a Lift Kit, Wheel Spacers.
Dragonrunner says he's doing fine with 12" of ground clearance, maybe I will try to just aim for a setup like his?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
28" tires are the minimum you should consider for ground clearance.
Zilla's are a very good all around tire with 1-1/8" tread depth to pull you thru some moderate mud & is still a very light flexable tire that rides well & is reasonably priced.
You can crank the spring preload quite a bit & there are some pics of home made lift kits that don't use a simple spring spacer, if you search the forum.
If you crank the springs a lot or add a lift, 1-1/2" wheel spacers will bring you back to 50" width.
Unless you like to get real mudy certainly consider fender flares.
A Power Steering unit will make it a complete pleasure to drive.
Enjoy

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
I like the looks of the tires you had installed on your new machine. I'll bet you can't wait to get her out on the trails. It would be like looking at a present under the Christmas tree and not being able to play with it. I don't know how you do it Dean, it would be shear torture for me. LOL!!
simple for us darcy...we're in florida and the machine is ours but the 2 year factory warranty doesn't start running until 2/29...and i'll be back 3/1...livable but still get antsy about wanting it close...

Reactions: dspete05

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Noted, I will start reading about these and add a harness to my first order then.

From reading posts around here; I have decided on 14" Wheels, local UTV shop has STI HD3's that look really good. I *think* I want 9" wide in front and 11" in rear tires. I'm still unsure about optimal Tire Height, if I want a Lift Kit, Wheel Spacers.
Dragonrunner says he's doing fine with 12" of ground clearance, maybe I will try to just aim for a setup like his?
If I ever get new rims and tires wear out….long time coming for that…I most likely go to 14" rims and 28" tires. Think thats a great combo. Also remember not all tire brands are not always truthful about tire height. Some will say 28" and are really only 26.5" tall so do some research. The kenda's I mentioned seem to be true to size, my 27" are right at 27" tall. I bet if you check your Trail right now front and back at belly skid you got only 9" GC. Crank those stockers up, I ran mine close to 11" but like I said they won't stay there long but make a difference while they do.
You might try 14" rims and 28" tires, some better spring and crank it to 12.5" GC or more and go try it out…..you can get a lift kit later if thats not enough. Or go bigger tire….

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay. How does this sound to get this girl up off the ground a bit.. 14" STI HD3 wheels, with 28x9"s front, 28x11's rear. Maybe the ITP Blackwater Evolution? Better Bandit springs to perk it up a bit as dragongunner suggested. 2" wheel spacers all around.

Any better recommendations? I really have no idea what I'm doing, so I'd like to make sure I am going in the right direction before I have the guy at the UTV shop start ordering me stuff.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Its really very specific to your driving area and style. If you don't have unlimited funds, think about it as long as you can stand. I would keep driving with your current set up till you get a feel for your choice set up.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride. I would suggest 28" tires on 14" rims with 9" in the front and 11" on the rear, then change the springs over to Bandits. This will put you in the 12"-14" area of ground clearance depending on how stiff you want your ride. If you do not have 50" restrictions, then add wheel spacers also. You should still have some cash left over for other goodies. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride. I would suggest 28" tires on 14" rims with 9" in the front and 11" on the rear, then change the springs over to Bandits. This will put you in the 12"-14" area of ground clearance depending on how stiff you want your ride. If you do not have 50" restrictions, then add wheel spacers also. You should still have some cash left over for other goodies. Good luck and keep us updated.
Do you have any regrets with the 27" kendas?

·
Registered
339 Posts
No, they work great. I think tho 28's are perfect happy medium between stock and 32's which are about the biggest a trail can handle. Also by going with 14" rims you have a larger choice in tires. With the 28's, clutching is not mandatory but it can help. I went with the 27's because I did not want to spend the money on new rims as I had other accessories to buy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a Highlifter 2" lift in the rear and just the shocks cranked up in the front, with 27x9 and 27x11 ITP 589s on OEM wheels I have 13"s of GC. I've been running this for almost a year and I haven't noticed any spring sag. I also have 1.5" spacers on the rear and 2" spacers on the front and I am right at 50" wide. I went with a Harbor Freight 3500# winch, it works fine a little slow and noisy but who cares for the money I saved.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Okay. How does this sound to get this girl up off the ground a bit.. 14" STI HD3 wheels, with 28x9"s front, 28x11's rear. Maybe the ITP Blackwater Evolution? Better Bandit springs to perk it up a bit as dragongunner suggested. 2" wheel spacers all around.

Any better recommendations? I really have no idea what I'm doing, so I'd like to make sure I am going in the right direction before I have the guy at the UTV shop start ordering me stuff.
Regarding spacers: they may not be necessary if you are adding aftermarket rims (offset is different). Our Trail has a 2" Super ATV lift with Elka Stage 4 shocks, and am running ITP Mega Mayhems 28x9x14 / 28x11x14 tires on ITP SS316 Black Ops wheels. With 13" of ground clearance, the machine is 50.5" wide.
Harness bar and harnesses have already been mentioned. If you ride a lot of mud/water you may want to snorkel the rig, and add a decent 3000-3500# winch. Fender flares will keep a good portion of mud off of you. I believe the factory clutching is good, but can be made better. A slightly stiffer primary spring along with Speedwerx's secondary spring helps. The stock suspension springs suck, at least go with a spring upgrade.

·
Registered
229 Posts
29.5" swamplites on mine,10" wide all four. No clutch kit and it turns them just fine. I use low when low is needed, and high when running roads or open fields and trails. I pull a arcticcat speed point cultivator with mine now and it pulls hard enough it ripped my reciever off. I had to reinforce it to the frame with some extra metal. Never smoked the belt and i only notice a slight tire rub when turning hard as far as the steering wheel will let me. I dont have spacers on the front though,but im thinking about a lift so i may be getting some. If i had spacers it wouldnt rub. I suggest At least a 3000lb winch. These things are heavy and mud dont make it any easier to pull them out. I pretty much agree with all thats been said about shocks too.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a Highlifter 2" lift in the rear and just the shocks cranked up in the front, with 27x9 and 27x11 ITP 589s on OEM wheels I have 13"s of GC. I've been running this for almost a year and I haven't noticed any spring sag. I also have 1.5" spacers on the rear and 2" spacers on the front and I am right at 50" wide. I went with a Harbor Freight 3500# winch, it works fine a little slow and noisy but who cares for the money I saved.
Did you need an adapter plate to mount the winch and was it a Badlands model?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts