Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at purchasing a 2014 wildcat 1000x any thing i should pay close attention to? Also wondering if passenger side gets hot like the can am ? All suggestions appreciiated first time side by side buyer !

·
Administrator
27,916 Posts
Welcome Batten99. Why a 14X? Less issues / problems if you go up about 4 years to an 18X, still the same car basically. Whenever you do get one, make sure your first mod is harnesses. Harnesses will save your life one day. Oh, and don't do doughnuts, sure way to roll over, that's why the need for harnesses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome Batten99. Why a 14X? Less issues / problems if you go up about 4 years to an 18X, still the same car basically. Whenever you do get one, make sure your first mod is harnesses. Harnesses will save your life one day. Oh, and don't do doughnuts, sure way to roll over, that's why the need for harnesses.
Going with what i can pay cash for dont want a payment on a toy. It has pro armor harness in both sides not sure if those are good or not this is new to me .

·
Administrator
27,916 Posts
Going with what i can pay cash for dont want a payment on a toy. It has pro armor harness in both sides not sure if those are good or not this is new to me .
OK, I can see the logic. Except, know that the 14X was prone to a lot of issues / problems. Do a search, and start reading up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What ive been able to find was starter , ball joints , rev limiter , and i believe neutral switch , havent found much else 🤷

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Your list is pretty complete (instead of neutral switch, it is a gear position indicator). Keep it very, very, very well tuned. The starter problem breaks the engine case, and keeping the plugs fresh and the valves adjusted correctly goes a long way toward minimizing the kick-back problem. The damage can be fixed by welding, but you really want to avoid that issue, not repair it. And there are no more new cases, so doing a weld repair on a broken starter boss is the only fix. Unless AC decides to do another casting run, busted cases is what will sideline a lot of 1000s / Xs.

PS - there are some innovative ideas about reinforcing an intact starter boss by putting a sleeve on the post that the shaft fits into. It is worth researching if you buy that machine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looking at purchasing a 2014 wildcat 1000x any thing i should pay close attention to? Also wondering if passenger side gets hot like the can am ? All suggestions appreciiated first time side by side buyer !
Do your research, repeat do your research, make sure you know everything that has been done to it including starter upgrade, if it has aftermarket larger than stock tires without a clutch kit look out, that can cause a long list of expensive problems, I bought a 2015 wild cat X three months ago with 1500 miles, so far I have spent 5K fixing it and am still waiting for parts (starter gear). Extremely disappointed will the total lack of engineering on the 1000 X, bevel gears, starter, rack and pinion, ball joints, ....do your research......

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
..the wildcat is still one of the coolest sxs out there- thats one reason we bought it- motor, radiator- all behind the cabin :)

all this horrorstories CAN happen- maybe....

i have a 13,5 with the mild cams - no starter problems etc.

and also the newer x,s 16 up? had all the updates-

and bevor you think about switchin to polaris or whatever- they all had their problems..

its for sure the harder you ride them and less maintanence kills this sxs...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Your list is pretty complete (instead of neutral switch, it is a gear position indicator). Keep it very, very, very well tuned. The starter problem breaks the engine case, and keeping the plugs fresh and the valves adjusted correctly goes a long way toward minimizing the kick-back problem. The damage can be fixed by welding, but you really want to avoid that issue, not repair it. And there are no more new cases, so doing a weld repair on a broken starter boss is the only fix. Unless AC decides to do another casting run, busted cases is what will sideline a lot of 1000s / Xs.

PS - there are some innovative ideas about reinforcing an intact starter boss by putting a sleeve on the post that the shaft fits into. It is worth researching if you buy that machine.
Yes, you do sure know what you are talking about, sidelined X 1000 here, starter case toast, and no cases to be had!! Probably drop a motor cycle engine in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts