Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. I have a trail and I think I have fried the ECU. Long story short with adead bat and on New Years Eve I hooked up a charger to jump it and go for a spin but couldn’t get it to start. It cranked then stopped and wouldn’t do anything but show the code uo155. A new battery and still same. I was told by a dealer that it was the LCD gage, which is not after $400. I bought the detailed dealer service manual and traced about everything I could think of and still can’t find the problem. Everything works with no fuel pump or cranking. The dash shows 0 volts but the battery is charged over 12 volts. My question would be has anyone had a similar problem? Also after calling a few dealers, some seem to think I could have fried the ECU. I’m in Columbus Ohio and we no longer have a dealer so I don’t want to drive a few hours, spend a ton of money for a dealer to throw parts at it until it works. Is there anyone in central Ohio with a similar model, I’m told a trail or sport within a year or two of mine, that would be willing to meet up to plug their ECU into my sxs (I’d be more than happy to pay for the trouble) just to verify it is in fact my ECU before I drive hours to buy a new one ECU and get it flashed for my cat. Any info could help, I need to get out to kill some time during this quarantine.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
I don't know how much digging around on the internet you've done, but one thing I remember seeing on some past posts and sorry, but it would take some time to find. If you remove the floor of the machine there is a splice with the power wires in the harness, I don't remember exactly where, I think it was somewhere under the tunnel between the seats, but if you strip back the tape you should be able to find it. There was a problem with corrosion in this splice and you would lose power to most everything. Maybe someone else will see your post and provide you with a link with the exact location and some pictures of it. I would start with that, plus check for corrosion or bent pins in the ECU and instrument cluster connectors. Also check the obvious like fuses and battery positive/ground connections being clean and tight. Hope this helps.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have seen all of the items you have listed and all of them have been checked in some way. When I first read about the shorted/corroded power wires I got excited because I though I had figured out the problem. But no luck. There are 3 different groups of wires but they are making good contact with no corrosion. I’m almost to a dead end. I’m going to re-check all of my work again this weekend but it’s looking more and more like I toasted the computer. It started while it was hooked up to a battery charger, if it wasn’t for that I would keep digging and be confident it was not the computer based on all of the older threads of people’s similar problems. Everyone else who has had these problems seemed to occur after getting the unit really wet or the issue popped up out of nowhere. The uo155 code says communication between computer and LCD gage is lost. As a last ditch effort I may attempt to splice the wires directly from the computer to the gages to see if i can get lucky. I was hoping I could find someone with a unit within an hour or two of me so I could plug in their computer and it would tell me immediately if that was my problem. Thanks for your insight it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Are your pins on the ECU plug good? They're really easy to bend if you're not careful.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Any updates whether you found anything yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope nothing yet sorry guys. I private messaged a few guys from the forums that live here in Ohio who both have 14 trail’s but haven’t heard anything back yet, I was hoping to pay one of them to plug in their ECU to mine just to see if it fires up. All of the wires have good continuity from the ECU to the lcd gage. The battery is good And fully charged and brand new. The prior owner had the ECU flashed from EVO so I called EVO to see if they had any way to test an ECU which they don’t. But they told me to open the ECU from the case and that I “should” see a burn mark if I toasted it. Which I did open and have no burn marks. All of the connections and pins on the ECU and the LCD gage are solid so I don’t think that is the problem. My next step is to test some of the individual items like the fuel pump, start or, regulator etc. I hope to get this done by the end of the week. I did buy an LCD gage when this problem on recommendation of the cat dealer that used to be here in Columbus but that didn’t work either. The LCD gage shouldn’t have to be programmed for a specific unit correct? I was told it’s only the ECU that is programmed to a specific unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing I did find was a dealer in Kentucky who told me that they could program and ECU and mail it to me so I don’t have to drive all they way to a dealer which is opposite of what every other dealer told me, every other dealer told me that they have to have the new ECU plugged into my cat and they they could program it. Have any of you guys had to deal with getting a new ECU and does it really have to be installed at the dealer for them to be able to hook their computer up to program the vin to the ECU.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Partial update but not exactly a good update. I spent a few more hours working on the cat and still have not isolated a problem. When I check the resistance at the diag plug between the CAN + and - wires it has 60 ohms but I can’t find anywhere what it should be. I know some vehicles have 60 ohms when the circuit is good. Also another thing I noticed was when I put the LCD gauge in diagnostic mode it shows 4 volts on battery power. I tested all of the power wires going to the gauge, even the switched power wire and they all show over 12 volts. Clearly this isn’t correct but does this give anyone a clue to what she could be doing. I am almost done screwing with it, I am close to just ordering a new computer, have it mailed to me and cross my fingers that it’s the problem.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Wish I was closer to let you try my ECU, I feel your pain.
I've been there where your only option is ordering a non returnable, expensive, electronic item only to find out that wasn't your problem!
Thanks for keeping us posted, never know, your diagnosis may help somebody else out in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts