Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wildcat is acting like it has a fuel delivery problem. It starts right up, runs normal for awhile and then randomly will cut out like it's out of gas. It only lasts a few seconds, and then it runs good again for a little ways. Very random and does it under acceleration and going downhill under compression. The service manual says to check fuel pump pressure. How do I attach a pressure gauge to the fuel pump? Is there a specific gauge and fitting to do that with? Any ideas, or input is appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the onboard diagnostic programm shows fuel pressure- no!?
According to what I can find in the service manual, the onboard diagnostic program shows the fuel level sensor, measured in ohms, but not fuel pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Redroller, you have it right as far as the diag screen.

The FSM process is to install a pressure gauge in place of an injector or injectors. You don't run the engine, you just turn on the ignition and observe fuel pressure. IIRC, it should be 42 psi or thereabouts.

My '15 developed vapor lock last year. I thought the catalytic converter was part of the issue, and those started with the '15s. Regardless, slipping some heat-shield tubing over the fuel lines fixed that for me.

I'm a bit confused that you are having issues under engine braking. The fuel injectors are either shut down or only inject enough fuel to idle the engine. What exactly is it doing?

Reactions: Redroller

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Redroller, you have it right as far as the diag screen.

The FSM process is to install a pressure gauge in place of an injector or injectors. You don't run the engine, you just turn on the ignition and observe fuel pressure. IIRC, it should be 42 psi or thereabouts.

My '15 developed vapor lock last year. I thought the catalytic converter was part of the issue, and those started with the '15s. Regardless, slipping some heat-shield tubing over the fuel lines fixed that for me.

I'm a bit confused that you are having issues under engine braking. The fuel injectors are either shut down or only inject enough fuel to idle the engine. What exactly is it doing?
Thanks for the info. I suspected vapor locking as well. Going downhill, no throttle, and then when I give it throttle, there is nothing there for a moment. Get off it then back on and it comes to life. Very random. Uphill, downhill, flat, doesn't matter. Going to check pressure, clean screen and replace fuel line and think happy thoughts!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have to chime in here on this. I've posted this issue and have been dealing with this issue for a while. Stalling up hill down hill on a black trail in wva.sobwhen I got it home I took the gas line loose from the pump on top of the tank and installed a pressure gauge to see if my pump is making the 42-44 lbs and it was but the pressure dropped off quickly. I ordered a pump and regulator kit from quantum and installed them both. I checked the pressure again and it was normal yet again but when running the gauge bounced erratically from the regulator being a piece of crap. I put the old regulator back in til my replacement shows up. Not sure what the real issue is yet. So About a half hour ago my machine wouldnt turn over. The positive battery terminal was loose. Not saying this is your issue as well but the same thing happened to me in wva a month ago and almost left me sitting in the mountains. I suggest start with the simple things first. Then move on to the painful things.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I suspected vapor locking as well. Going downhill, no throttle, and then when I give it throttle, there is nothing there for a moment. Get off it then back on and it comes to life. Very random. Uphill, downhill, flat, doesn't matter. Going to check pressure, clean screen and replace fuel line and think happy thoughts!
52 psi. too much?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Redroller, how accurate is your gauge? I would verify the gauge before swapping out the FPR, unless your machine is also showing signs of running too rich.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Redroller, how accurate is your gauge? I would verify the gauge before swapping out the FPR, unless your machine is also showing signs of running too rich.
I'd like to think the gauge is accurate. It's a brand new kit that wasn't cheap. I'm doing a static test right off the pump. It makes 50 psi but as soon as the pump turns off the pressure goes away. That doesn't seem right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts