Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased this on Monday with 80 miles on it. Checked oil and just barely below recommended range and figure to change oil anyway. Question on oil filter. Is there anything special about it or can I use a FRAM, STP, etc. from auto parts store?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've been using the OE, but plan to cut one open soon to compare to the Wix. A lot of guys run the Wix. There's 2 different model numbers, one for a tall filter and one for a short filter.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Use what name brand your comfortable with, most brands have 2 or 3 grades of filters. Usually more expensive buys you more filter media inside the filter. In the Napa gold line of filters for the trail/sport the short one filters to a smaller micron of "chunk" where as the tall one holds a little more oil. At 80 miles I would just service all 3 fluids, that way all the assembly crap gets out and the metals from break in are out. 3 qts 0-40 synthetic oil, new filter, 41oz bottle Arctic cat synthetic transaxle fluid, and I think about 6-8oz of synthetic 80-90 gear case oil. Then you know where you stand on your new machine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help. I found a crossover STP through Autozone. Sak Kitty you gave me another question to ask about. 0w-40 was mentioned in oil type but nobody carries that around here. I was told that was special recommended for Arctic Cat. Could I use 5w-30/40? Much difference except winter weight rating.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Mobil 1 makes a 0-40 synthetic that's available most places. I stick to what manufactures say for a weight rating because oil galleys vary in size from manufacturer to manufacture so I just go with their recommendations but you could consult the owners manual to see if they list the other weights at your temperature s.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mobil 1 makes a 0-40 synthetic that's available most places. I stick to what manufactures say for a weight rating because oil galleys vary in size from manufacturer to manufacture so I just go with their recommendations but you could consult the owners manual to see if they list the other weights at your temperature s.
Owners manual says any arctic cat acx synthetic oil, my dealer recommends 15w-50 unless using in winter which I don’t, as that’s what sleds are for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts