Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wildcat with a starter gear that busted the case. Cannot find anyone to repair it. I need a crankcase or sell the machine. It only has 1100 miles. Cryptic Suspension front and rear. Beadlock wheels. Roof. Trunk. Nice machine. Help. Make offer?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The case is made up of 3 pieces that are assembled and then machined as a set. With no new cases available, 1000 and X owners are at the point where they may need to try substituting one of the matched pieces with a part from a different set.

Idaho Rigging in Priest River, ID replaced the case on a friend's '16 last month (my buddy got lucky and found someone that had bought a case and never used it). The piece you need was not the one that was damaged.
  1. I don't know what they might have done with the parts.
  2. It might be a long-shot that it would work (~half of each cylinder sits on the left-hand case piece and half sits on the right-hand piece).
  3. It would be a lot of wrenching to even get to the point where you could see how well the new mix of parts would work.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
597 Posts
mbrandt1402 would know about the wrenching on these
So would A LOT of those, old, OG Members here.
Can’t really say I miss it much though!

C-ya!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in Macon Ga. The casting that holds the gear in place that turns the crankshaft broke off the case. It is a clean break and I think impossible to weld back in and get the gear meshing perfect.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Pull the motor, drain the oil, and take off the stator cover. Bring the motor to a good aluminum welder and have the boss rebuilt/reinforced. Block all openings in the case to prevent metal/dirt from getting in. Use a dremel to carefully open up the boss so you can barely fit the gear shaft (use longer shaft 58mm 0829-031). You need to open up the boss deeper to fit the longer shaft. Trial-fit the stator cover with the shaft in place to make sure the boss is deep enough. Put some JB Weld into the repaired boss.. Put some anti-seize onto the entire gear shaft and seat it into the case boss (without the gear on it). Wipe off excess JB Weld. Seat the stator cover on (no gasket) and lightly bolt it down. Wait a full day and remove the stator cover. The shaft should be tight. Put on the gear/starter and stator cover (with gasket). Good to go!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts