Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this machine with seller saying it had a bad knock in the engine and was not going to repair it. I got it at a great deal thinking I would be able to fix the knock easily. I am pretty sure it is a connecting rod bearing and plan to remove the engine and pull the bottom cover and see what is up. If only bearings and I can polish everything back into good shape, would a set of bearings be all that i need to stick in it? A question I have is, why would a rod bearing go bad? I can't find anything that states these engines have this problem so that makes me feel better. What reasons are known for this thing kicking a bearing like that? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

New Member,
Buster177

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know I have been thinking. Seems like a lot of identifying a problem and things to check or was checked but not a lot of follow up with what actually repaired things. I was going to give up and move on but then I thought, why be what you don't like? So I am going to update my situations in a really short blurb and hope it helps someone along the way. Hopefully more than Toyman will read and respond as he was the only one originally.
Tried to save the rod and crank with a lot of sanding/grinding and micrometer readings. Didn't work, spun same bearing first start up.
Ordered new rod and crank and connecting rod bearings. Already honed and installed new piston rings on the first trip through.
Made super sure the oil cooler and lines were full of oil before starting up and shutting off in about 5 seconds and check oil level on dipstick. added oil till it stayed slightly above full and then let it warm up. Seems fine!!!!!
Ordered adapters and put on 29 inch bighorns off of a polaris 1000. Looks great!!!!
Cleaned up and took to WV on the weekend of September 8th, black bear lodge!
Ran great on trails for about 2 hours and developed a high idle that would not let me turn through the corners. Had to shut key off to keep from being pushed off the mountain or burning my belt. Could not shift to neutral due to pressure on the gears.
Fortunately it broke down near road to Mud pit. Ran back with friend, got truck and trailer, picked it up and then jumped in with my friend and rode with him. Too disgusted to take apart there.
After high idle it developed a loping idle instead of a high idle. Checked all connections, changed plugs, still the same.
Took throttle body off and while cleaning noticed that there is a set screw for butterfly opening. There is also a cross drilled and tapped hole for a locking screw to keep that one from moving. That screw is gone. Vertical screw had vibrated down and began holding the butterfly open too much.
Set back to just touching in the bore and put new screw in to lock in place.
Put it back on the cat without the air box and filter.
re-synced the computer to the new settings and fired it up!
Idles as it should and I am ever grateful that was all it was. Gonna readjust my shift linkage where I may have been jerking on way too hard in the I need to stop panic mode.
I will try it again. I need some reliability confidence in this thing and I hope it gives me just that.
I have the springs set as soft as possible but it still seemed a little choppy on the small bumps. What tire pressure is best for the smoothest ride in a machine like this?
Thanks and I hope something in this may help someone else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts