Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out on a casual ride with some friends and their children my 2015 Arctic Cat Wildcat sport with only 130 hours spontaneously exploded and erupted with flames while I was driving ending with it burned completely down to frame. Seconds before the whole machine and cab were engulfed in flames I heard a loud bang and .2 of a second later it exploded with flames shooting directly into the cab past my head and up through the passenger seat. I managed to get my seat belt off and bailed out. Within 15 minutes the whole machine was burned completely down to the frame. The machine was practically brand new and had yet to see any hard driving conditions. 10 minutes prior to the machine exploding it had sat turned off for over a hour while we ate lunch.

The machine was 100% completely stock and all the fluids were fresh and at the correct levels. All factory recalls were done on the Cat as well.

Has this happen to anybody else? I'm currently in contact with Arctic Cat although I haven't heard back from them in over a week and now my loyalty and trust in the brand has dramatically changed. Considering I myself could have been badly injured or if it had happened in a heavily wooded area caused a major forest fire.

See attached pictures and youtube video.
Located in Nova Scotia, Canada
Screenshot_20210523-210506.png

Video -

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
most important thing is that you survived it unscathed...hopefully textron/arctic cat will step up for you...did you have insurance on your rig?...hopefully so...most utv's/sxs' fires i heard about or seen were po pos...good luck and there is always the attorney route...

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
I feel your pain, but a 2015 is not "practically brand-new". Rubber breaks down with age, rodents can chew on things, etc.

I'm not trying to kick you while you are down, just supplying a bit of reality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel your pain, but a 2015 is not "practically brand-new". Rubber breaks down with age, rodents can chew on things, etc.

I'm not trying to kick you while you are down, just supplying a bit of reality.
Oh I know I'm fully aware of that.... I'm just referring to the low engine hours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
most important thing is that you survived it unscathed...hopefully textron/arctic cat will step up for you...did you have insurance on your rig?...hopefully so...most utv's/sxs' fires i heard about or seen were po pos...good luck and there is always the attorney route...
po pos ??

·
Registered
25 Posts
While out on a casual ride with some friends and their children my 2015 Arctic Cat Wildcat sport with only 130 hours spontaneously exploded and erupted with flames while I was driving ending with it burned completely down to frame. Seconds before the whole machine and cab were engulfed in flames I heard a loud bang and .2 of a second later it exploded with flames shooting directly into the cab past my head and up through the passenger seat. I managed to get my seat belt off and bailed out. Within 15 minutes the whole machine was burned completely down to the frame. The machine was practically brand new and had yet to see any hard driving conditions. 10 minutes prior to the machine exploding it had sat turned off for over a hour while we ate lunch.

The machine was 100% completely stock and all the fluids were fresh and at the correct levels. All factory recalls were done on the Cat as well.

Has this happen to anybody else? I'm currently in contact with Arctic Cat although I haven't heard back from them in over a week and now my loyalty and trust in the brand has dramatically changed. Considering I myself could have been badly injured or if it had happened in a heavily wooded area caused a major forest fire.

View attachment 252954 View attachment 252956
View attachment 252953 View attachment 252954 View attachment 252955

Video -
The year of the machine doesn't matter it had low hours was stock speculation it was rodents etc not likely some sort of fuel system failure is more likely since you didn't mention you detected fuel odor prior to it exploding

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Hey, Gord - Try using some of these: ......................................... ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have plenty. If you run out, I can send more.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
sorry to hear- but as said- happens from time to time on fuel burnin machines- its not (more) an special arctic cat thing- there were problems with early models- but as seen on your picture you have the new improved exhaust shield etc.- must be som. with fuel or oil lines maybe....

for the future- carry always an fire ext. in your cab- i do on evry vehicle- except motorcycle...x

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 252954 View attachment 252956
View attachment 252953 View attachment 252954 View attachment 252955

Video -
That's a bummer. Hope it's insured.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts