Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have recently stumbled on this site as my SXS just started running bad and I started doing some digging around the web. I have dug through a bit of your site but did not see anything that fixed me. This looks to be a great resource for my machine and thank everyone for all their contributions. I will do my best to help goin forward also.

So.... I have 2015 wildcat sport 700, I bought it new in summer of 17' as a very left over. It does not get a ton of use, mostly round the farm and bringing the kids for rides around trails built around my house (only 360 miles and 55 hours). Mostly gets loaded to bring kids and all our junk to inlays pool through the woods. The other day I was loading it up with some wood for skating on the pond and out of no where it went from running excellent like always to running like garbage. Almost like one cylinder was not doing anything, then would run fine again the like garbage again. It staled a couple times (which it never does) then would start back up and do same thin, good one minute terrible the next. Trying to get it home it had very little power and was a struggle to get it back. Later on after it cooled, I started it again it started an immediately shut off then would not crank anymore.

Things I have done:
  • Battery is usually charged up once a month (cycle through all the battery on the toys about monthly) I recharged it and machine started right up and ran fine. Took it down the driveway and back, ~ 2000 ft, and started to run as previously described.
  • Pulled plugs, some carbon build up on threads but electrodes both looked fine, clean and re-installed. (still runs bad)
  • Checked coils and plugs for loose wires as the forum posts has pushed me towards that but all looked fine
  • Have a new battery on the way as I have seen posts about battery can cause issues if its not good
  • Have new plugs on the way as its a cheap thing to not have to have in the equation.

I have service manual and abilities to work on machine, was just looking for some direction or maybe a common smoking gun on these that I am not aware of. I am mostly a ATV and Snowmobile guy but its all fairly similar. Any help would truly be appreciated. Thank you all for the excellent forum. If i can figure it out I will try to post a video I just took of it running bad after I cleaned plugs and checked wires on coils.

-It seemed a lot warmer than I would expect for only running for about 5 min also, but not usually messing around engine so I don't have a good baseline on temp.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Make very sure your plug wires are seated well on the plugs, thats a problem many of us have had, they have to snap down securely on the spark plug, also as you've heard, low battery voltage will also cause problems. Check both ends of the plug wires to make sure they are well seated. On our Trail running an extra ground wire from battery neg to a clean frame ground resulted in better idle and performance.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
As mtgott said plug wires seem to be the culprit when this on again off again problem arises and it creates more heat as the unburnt fuel goes down the exhaust burning. The coils can act up giving spark no spark also. The coil end of the spark plug wire can un seat also.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses! As far as plug wires go they were very hard to get off of the plug side and there was a very definitive feeling when the boots were re-installed so I am guessing that side was ok. I am not Exactly sure where people, in previous posts, had a loose wire in the coil or on the coil side of the spark plug wire. Unless it was the wire it self. Coil side of plug wires seem to be firmly installed but maybe I am missing where the issue is people have.
When I first read about it I was thinking that must be it as it fits very well into issues I am having so hopefully I just missed what I should be looking at. (Only pulled access port off, maybe I should just remove bed).

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
“BAD” fuel also, could give the on again off again . Just brainstorming ideas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check your air intake? Clean the air filter? Do you store it in a barn or garage? Mice like to find a warm place and I’ve seen instances where they get in the intake and make a nest.
You can trim the wire going into the spark plug boot if it is worn from the plugs to get a better connection.
Clean fuel injectors?
TPS is in the correct range?
Have you tried syncing the EFI system?
Do any codes show up?
Just some ideas for you!

EFI system sync
Intake issues
Diagnostic mode

Arcticfrost

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as other things mentioned above,
- Gas: I had considered that. The gas I put in is always 93 with a additive/stabilizer (fuel ox) It could be on the older side but it at least gets mixed with fresh gas fairly often.

- Mice: This was what I thought the problem was from the get go the way it started. Running perfectly fine to all of a sudden garbage. Thought for sure a mouse got to a wire or had a nest somewhere. I store the machine in my garage, have never had any mice issues in the house or the garage (that I know of) So far I have not found any evidence that a mouse has caused it but I will keep looking as I am digging.

-Injectors: I have not looked at them yet, looking like I will need to pull the bed off so I will check/ clean them

-TPS: ranges as expected 0-100 with ease.

-Sync: I never did a sync because I had never had anything apart, I guess this wouldn't hurt to try.

-Codes: unfortunate no codes

-Air intake: Should have mentioned this, this was actually first thing I checked when it started running so bad. That looked fine also.

I have been on night shift since I started this post so I have not done any more physical work yet. This is my last night before off for a couple days so I will get back to messing with it. Let me know if the video shows anything of value or interest.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New battery just got here, plugs should be here today also. Planning on putting battery and plugs in then sync later this afternoon. If that doesn’t do anything I’ll start tearing it down to get a better look at everything. I’ll triple check coils also while it’s out making sure wires look good and for good spark. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Sounds a bit like mine was doing, there's a little sensor screwed down into the top of the throttle body that had a coat of dust on it, when cleaned it ran like a charm again. Good Luck
It is shown here as a #6 T-Map sensor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts