Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post this to get everyone's thoughts. I found a 15 Wildcat for sale and decided to go take a look at it. My thoughts was to possibly purchase it since I own a 2012. As I looked at it I noticed that motor didn't look right. I'm 99% positive that it's a 2012 motor in this 2015 Wildcat.
It didn't have the newer Team clutch and it has the famous oil leak above the oil filter. Something else I noticed is that the numbers on the motor
had been ground off. The guy showed me his receipt were he bought it brand new from an Arctic Cat dealer. The date was Jan 2016 and the price was $13100 which was a good price for a brand new machine.
So I think the dealer changed the motor out from a 2015 motor to a 2012. The only reason I say this is that it's possible this motor was replaced by Arctic Cat and then the dealer resealed it, ground off any numbers so it couldn't b tracked and then put it into this unit and sold it at a lower price.
I asked this guy a lot of questions and from what I can tell he has never taken it into an Arctic Cat dealer for any type of work. He did take it to a independent repair shop to have the oil leak fixed and I really doubt they would have swapped out his motor.

So I'm just curious what everyone would do?

This person no longer lives in the state where he bought the machine.

·
Administrator
27,475 Posts
Walk away ! !! I loved my 12 and it never leaked but I would never buy a unit with ground off serial number.
X2! It's either been replaced, or stolen. A headache you don't need!

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Was it a wet clutch engine? That would tell you right there if it was a 2012 engine. Seems shady for sure with the ground off #'s. Like the others said, Run Forrest Run!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Might be the engine from my friends stolen 2012. In my state California you could never get a vehicle registered with ground off engine numbers, in fact the DMV guy would
send you to the Highway Patrol to verify the unit was or was not stolen, If stolen you would immediately be detained.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's interesting is that he has the title and the sales receipt from the dealer. Since he bought it out of state and then moved to another state it's required by law to have a Police Officer inspect the vehicle and verify the VIN to the title. I thought about calling a dealer and see if they could find anything out about it. I did record the last 8 of the VIN.

·
Administrator
27,475 Posts
What's interesting is that he has the title and the sales receipt from the dealer. Since he bought it out of state and then moved to another state it's required by law to have a Police Officer inspect the vehicle and verify the VIN to the title. I thought about calling a dealer and see if they could find anything out about it. I did record the last 8 of the VIN.
Could be a salvage title. Hopefully you are not considering this.......

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Yeah I would "Run Forest Run" away from that machine:cool:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No intentions of buying it after finding out it had the 2012 motor. Yes it's the wet clutch design. No sense in buying another one with that motor. Not worth the headache.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That is super sketchy of a dealer to do. I can't even imagine anyone doing it but I know crap like that does go on. I can check warranty claims if you pm me the vin you have.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
571 Posts
How do you know it is actually a 15 and not a 12?

Unless the frame has been changed, the VIN sticker on the drivers side frame spar has the manufacture date on it.

C-Ya!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts