Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so my motor has the dreaded oil leak, and am seriously considering buying a new X motor from MLS or D&P, and just wanted to get the skinny from peeps who have actually done this swap. I will be doing it in my shop by myself, so was hoping to get some info from individuals who have done this.

Some basic questions I have.

1. I know you need a new ECU and cluster or reflash your existing ECU from EVO with the X specs and use your existing cluster. Is this accurate.

2. Does the existing throttle body on the 2012 motor work with the X motor?

3. Exhaust? I have Muzzy slip-ons and love them, do the existing headers match up to the X motor?

4. Any other differences / or mods need to be done. I am just trying to get my budget in order to make the purchase. MLS has given me a pretty good price.

5. After the swap, were you happy with the decision to do the swap performance wise? My 2012 motor is tuned and the clutch is perfect, but the oil leak is getting worst, so if I can get more performance, and get rid of that leak, killing two birds with one stone.

6. What was the most difficult part of pulling / installing motor? Rear drive shaft?

I am hoping this tread will help other peeps too, as there are a lot of threads about this, but there are so many loose ends, maybe we can get it all tied down in one thread from experienced peeps.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The worst part about pulling the motor is the day and a half it takes to get everything disconnected and out of the way so you can pull the motor. Then another day and a half to put everything back on.

The motor is easy to pull. You don't have to pull the rear diff or the front driveshaft, just remove the clamp on the rear driveshaft boot that is closest to the motor and remove the 3 allen bolts holding the driveshaft to the flange at the front of the motor. Then when you pull out the motor mount bolts you can slide the motor back just enough to slip it past the front driveshaft. Once it clears the front driveshaft, just slide it forward a little and it will pop out of the rear driveshaft.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Pace offroad sale a lot of the motor from their sways plus the wires, ecu and all the extra come with the the motor. Might want to call them and see if they have any. Pace offroad (704)680-6959 eastern time 8 to 5pm.

·
Registered
467 Posts
X2. They post sometimes in the for sale adds

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I did the swap and had experience with a WCD and wanted to have more performance than that so I also bought STM clutches.
Although if you buy a new motor it is a 2015 you want the 2014 style X motor. The 2015 style has oxygen sensor and some other stuff I believe but you would need a new wiring harness at least probably ECU also.
Throttle body is the same so you are good to go.
I have always pulled rear diff back. Tried first time without and it didnt wanna go. Guess I didn't fight with it long enough..
Exhaust will work. Ive had my muzzy system on 2012, 2013.5 non X and now New X

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the swap and had experience with a WCD and wanted to have more performance than that so I also bought STM clutches.
Although if you buy a new motor it is a 2015 you want the 2014 style X motor. The 2015 style has oxygen sensor and some other stuff I believe but you would need a new wiring harness at least probably ECU also.
Throttle body is the same so you are good to go.
I have always pulled rear diff back. Tried first time without and it didnt wanna go. Guess I didn't fight with it long enough..
Exhaust will work. Ive had my muzzy system on 2012, 2013.5 non X and now New X
Thanks Patrick, that is interesting about the o2 sensor. Hmmm, I didn't think about that.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The worst part about pulling the motor is the day and a half it takes to get everything disconnected and out of the way so you can pull the motor. Then another day and a half to put everything back on.

The motor is easy to pull. You don't have to pull the rear diff or the front driveshaft, just remove the clamp on the rear driveshaft boot that is closest to the motor and remove the 3 allen bolts holding the driveshaft to the flange at the front of the motor. Then when you pull out the motor mount bolts you can slide the motor back just enough to slip it past the front driveshaft. Once it clears the front driveshaft, just slide it forward a little and it will pop out of the rear driveshaft.
Sweet Crawlr, yes the dis-assembly and re-assembly is always a pain. So, question would be if I am going to do the EVO flash to X-specs, my existing wiring harness should work (Patrick brought up a good point about the 2015 X and O2 sensors), I wonder if the EVO ecu flash accounts for that, but really, I am assuming I will be using my existing headers, and they don't have an O2 sensor, so maybe not.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pace offroad sale a lot of the motor from their sways plus the wires, ecu and all the extra come with the the motor. Might want to call them and see if they have any. Pace offroad (704)680-6959 eastern time 8 to 5pm.
Thanks Tennessee, I will probably give them a call, although I am a little concerned with getting a used motor, just don't want to have any unknown "motor" issues, but I suppose if the price was sweet-enough, it might be worth it.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Sweet Crawlr, yes the dis-assembly and re-assembly is always a pain. So, question would be if I am going to do the EVO flash to X-specs, my existing wiring harness should work (Patrick brought up a good point about the 2015 X and O2 sensors), I wonder if the EVO ecu flash accounts for that, but really, I am assuming I will be using my existing headers, and they don't have an O2 sensor, so maybe not.
They still sell new 14 style engines and it technically a 15 cause its new. That's what I just got and yes all you need is the EVO flash just tell them its a 14 X engine

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
all X engines are the same part number. The difference with the O2 is in the wire harness, but same engine part number for wildcats with and without an O2

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
all X engines are the same part number. The difference with the O2 is in the wire harness, but same engine part number for wildcats with and without an O2
So basically what that means, is if you buy a 15 x motor, and install it using your existing 12 wiring harness, it shouldn't effect anything. Thanks for the response. I am hoping we can get everything ironed out on this thread, and when I do the install at my shop, I am going to have a nice write-up with photos for the forum, so that other fools like me have a good guide, lol

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I don't think you want a 2012 ecu and wire harness on an X motor. I think you want an X ecu, harness, and guage cluster. Timing and fuel maps are different on the X from the 2012s I am pretty sure

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I was just saying the X motor is all the same part number from 2013-2015, which is 0800-181

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think you want a 2012 ecu and wire harness on an X motor. I think you want an X ecu, harness, and guage cluster. Timing and fuel maps are different on the X from the 2012s I am pretty sure
I am curious why you believe this, I am not saying you are right or wrong, but I think this is a big part of the swap, and many peeps say there is no difference, the flash just changes the timing / mapping to the same settings as a stock X ecu. Have you had any experience with this in a negative way?

I agree, they all are the 0800-181 part number. The O2 sensor goes on the exhaust, and I don't think effects anything, as the 2013 to 2015 X motors are all exactly the same.

BobbittsOnLine has new X motors Part# 0800-181 for $3,500, plus $150 shipping. That is the best price I have seen. EVO re-flash to X specs is 300 bucks, plus the cost of shipping. That should be all anybody needs from what I have gathered so-far.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Ok I must have misunderstood. I never looked anything up

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I am curious why you believe this, I am not saying you are right or wrong, but I think this is a big part of the swap, and many peeps say there is no difference, the flash just changes the timing / mapping to the same settings as a stock X ecu. Have you had any experience with this in a negative way?

I agree, they all are the 0800-181 part number. The O2 sensor goes on the exhaust, and I don't think effects anything, as the 2013 to 2015 X motors are all exactly the same.

BobbittsOnLine has new X motors Part# 0800-181 for $3,500, plus $150 shipping. That is the best price I have seen. EVO re-flash to X specs is 300 bucks, plus the cost of shipping. That should be all anybody needs from what I have gathered so-far.
That's all I did was the evo flash works awesome

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's all I did was the evo flash works awesome
Sweet Patrick, I should be pulling the trigger on this soon, and will do a good write up with pics for peeps. Do you like the x motor a lot better than your WC model? My WC motor is also tuned and I have the clutch so dialed in, it runs hard, I just don't want to go in the other direction, lol, but I can't stand oil leaks....

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Sweet Patrick, I should be pulling the trigger on this soon, and will do a good write up with pics for peeps. Do you like the x motor a lot better than your WC model? My WC motor is also tuned and I have the clutch so dialed in, it runs hard, I just don't want to go in the other direction, lol, but I can't stand oil leaks....
Yeah I like it better. I have STM clutches to put power to the ground

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Like Patrick said, remove the bracket for the rear diff and haul it back to give U clearance, much easier! Took me 3.5 hours to remove it last week and 4.5 hours to re install, never removed a seat or rear plastic and left header pipes on for removal! Not that bad , just looks intimidating!

1 - 20 of 131 Posts