Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I backed my wildcat into my driveway and everything was great. A couple of weeks later it won't start. It cranks great but won't even try to fire. I've narrowed it down to no fuel delivery. I took out the rear cylinder spark plug and shot a bit of starter fluid into the cylinder, replaced the plug and it started and ran for a couple of seconds. The fuel pump acts normal, I.E. it runs for a few seconds the shuts off. The gas tank is full. There are no diagnostic codes, and the TPS (new a couple of hundred miles ago) reads as it should in the diagnostic screen. The EFI fuse is good. Is there anything else besides the ECU or the injectors that could cause this problem? I would appreciate any help!

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
The fuel pressure should be around 42 PSI, IIRC. There is no return system from the injectors, so after turning on the ignition long enough for the fuel pump to run and shut down, you should get a nice burst of fuel when you disconnect the hose at the pump outlet or at one of the fuel injectors. The proper test is to rig up a gauge and check the pressure with the ignition on, but w/o the engine running. The idle air valve on the throttle body hums for a second or two when you turn on the ignition. It can be mistaken for the fuel pump spinning up.

If you have good fuel pressure, the problem is almost certainly electrical. The injectors are powered (via the ECM) at all times and are "fired" by the ECM switching the ground circuit. I don't know if the injectors get 12v or 5v (like the engine sensors), but you can probe the injector electrical connectors and confirm if they are getting a signal from the ECM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuel pressure should be around 42 PSI, IIRC. There is no return system from the injectors, so after turning on the ignition long enough for the fuel pump to run and shut down, you should get a nice burst of fuel when you disconnect the hose at the pump outlet or at one of the fuel injectors. The proper test is to rig up a gauge and check the pressure with the ignition on, but w/o the engine running. The idle air valve on the throttle body hums for a second or two when you turn on the ignition. It can be mistaken for the fuel pump spinning up.

If you have good fuel pressure, the problem is almost certainly electrical. The injectors are powered (via the ECM) at all times and are "fired" by the ECM switching the ground circuit. I don't know if the injectors get 12v or 5v (like the engine sensors), but you can probe the injector electrical connectors and confirm if they are getting a signal from the ECM.
Thanks, much appreciated! I'll check the fuel pressure and injector signals. I'm quite sure the sound is the pump as I can feel vibrations when it runs, but that doesn't mean it's building the proper pressure. I'll post the results after I have a chance to check.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts