Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ride mostly sand dunes or dry weather would it help to just remove the belt / clutch cover?

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Not a problem on the solid cranks, it just puts sand & mud in those awkward places :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a problem on the solid cranks, it just puts sand & mud in those awkward places :cool:
Black Cat so I assume the 2016 has a solid crank? And with that said do you think these is a benifit buy removing it? I see all the RZR guys remove these in the sand.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My two cents. Leave the cover on to keep the sand out of all the moving clutch parts. Remove the belt exhaust duct for better air flow.

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
I always respond to this question the same, honda odyssey never had covers. Owned it for 12 years never a clutch problem in the sand. I think the covers are more for lawsuits then keeping the sand out. Now if you go thru water or snow you need to keep belt dry. My 2012 cat has only a half cover to support shaft, no belts burned since new, only goes to sand. Have fun in your toys, see you in the dunes, Kevin.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I have not run a cover since the first year I got my X. Yes, the clutching only lasts about 3500 to 4000 miles that way, but I get at least 1000 miles of hard riding in the sometimes hot sand out of the belts. Sheaves stay cleaner as well and the belt grips better. I had removed the plastic pipes prior to getting rid of the cover and it had little affect. You will need to make a spacer to hold your air cleaner box with the cover removed. I recommend a solid aluminum piece that uses at least 3 of the stock bolts. I have seen guys that used individual spacers for each bolt have the bolts break and the air box ends up in the clutches.

·
Registered
964 Posts
There are a few older threads that cover this. Many (in dry climates) have cut and/or modified the cover to allow better cooling while still providing some protection

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I don't think you have to live in a dry climate.

I cut my cover diagonally from locating pin socket to locating pin socket, i.e. from upper left to lower right. I cleaned the cut very thoroughly and RTV'd the two halves together while installed on my spare engine. As I transferred it to the Wildcat, I was surprised at how rigid the assembly was and have no problem saying it is as waterproof as an uncut cover. I blasted through a creek crossing last month that soaked us, but the clutches stayed dry.

When we go to the dunes, I run a knife through the RTV and remove the bottom half. The primary is almost completely protected and the driven is protected from anything falling down onto it.

My bottom line on these cover cuts? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all think our own version is best!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a fan on my intake to keep the belts and clutch cool works great belts last a long time and things stay clean.. I'm sorry I would not remove the covers in the sand, sand is moving parts enemy, and belts dont dig it either. The fan j installed eliminated the heating issues in the sand and heavy loads.. and my car is a heavy ass pig.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Black Cat so I assume the 2016 has a solid crank? And with that said do you think these is a benifit buy removing it? I see all the RZR guys remove these in the sand.
Yes everything from mid 13 on is a solid crank vs the older wet clutch models, others have answered the rest of your questions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts