Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When engaging 4WD the actuator works fine. Once I attempt to return to 2WD, through the switch, you can hear actuator whirl sound but it's difficult coming out of 4WD. Sometimes I have to come to a complete stop, neutral, or reverse to disengage 4WD. Once I'm finally in 2WD, the front ends makes a rattling sound coming from front differential. The LOCK button does not make any sound or go into 4W lock. I can watch the actuator when I push the lock and nothing happens. Any suggestions? I have pulled the actuator from the machine, and the 4WD actuator piston moves in and out fine, but the LOCK actuator does not work at all. TIA.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
I have been engageing and disengageing the front diff in the four wheelers and the trail for years with no ill effects. I try not to do it when the wheels are spinning or under high load conditions but when front and rear wheel speeds are the same it seems to work fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Per operators Manual:
CAUTION
Do not engage or disengage the front
differential while the vehicle is moving.
Lol ya ok, our famy has had more cat quads and sxs's than i can count and we gave never come to a complete stop to engage or dis-engage with any of them, as long as your not on the throttle you can switch away, sounds like you have an issue intetnally, something not grabbing inside

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Wildcat Trail Limited 27x9 Kanati Mongrels 2" Lift
2 Posts
brgofast: I'm having an issue of my 2016 Trail not coming out of 4 wheel as well. Switch is working, doesn't disengage unless I stop. Always engages while moving, and I always slow down and get of the throttle both ways. Did you find a fix for this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on difficulty coming out of 4 wheel drive. First because of the noise and vibration the dealer replaced the drive shaft carrier bearing. The noise was better butstill very difficult to get out of 4 wd. Then they tore into the front differential and I waited months for parts that never came so I they replaced with brand new differential. Test drove it and still had difficulty getting out of 4wd along with a lot of vibration. I was running 27x9x12 tires all away around. They replaced rims and tires off 4 wheeler and the trail performed perfectly with no vibration and easily moved from 2wd to 4wd and back even w hile in motion. Dealer said tires were problem so ordered new set of rockabilly tires 26x9x12 and 26x11x12. Now with new tires very hard to get out of 4wd!!! Any suggestions Greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Use aa tape measure to measure the actual circumference of the tires, I think you're going to find that the size is different front to back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just talked with dealer, he tried several sets of tires and still has trouble disengaging 4 wheel drive,Artic Cat mechanic said it could be the transaxle assembly($2700 replacement) but really seems like a shot in the dark. Machine has 5000 miles on it! Told dealer to put my old tires back on and old diff since nothing has changed. I guess I will just live with a 2wd expensive cat!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts