Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off how much boost with stock engine and still be reliable? What size turbo and all the information I can get would be helpful and much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Trail/Sport, X or XX?

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Are you prepared to do at least some tear-down on your engine? All X kits reduce the compression ratio, either with low compression pistons or with cylinder head shims.

At least one kit required non-X cams. The kit used two injectors and they could not make an X idle correctly. MCX adds two injectors in a large plenum that replaces the stock air box.

MCX uses a small Mitsubishi turbo, but they remove the tag that has the model number on it.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I ran 8lbs on a bone stock X motor with a Silber kits on e85 for 2 years. It did have a 3rd Injector that was map referenced. It used a Chinese "kpa" turbo, not sure on the size and it worked for me until I sold the machine. IMO a good cheap turbo would be a Volvo (Mitshu) tdo4-15g like the Yamaha MPI kits....have one on my Yxz and it has been rock solid for 2 years, make good power and comes on quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys I plan on using a turbo similar to one of the kits I have almost everything to do it I plan on using a pc v for fuel management. They say you can make your own maps with that system. Stock engine and some where between 5 and 8 psi of boost nothing crazy but I want reliability also. What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
e85 is a lot less likely to knock, so I suspect it was a large part of thunder45's success. Keep that in mind as you figure this out.

Reactions: thunder45

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Ok guys I plan on using a turbo similar to one of the kits I have almost everything to do it I plan on using a pc v for fuel management. They say you can make your own maps with that system. Stock engine and some where between 5 and 8 psi of boost nothing crazy but I want reliability also. What do you all think?
Run good fuel and or pull some timing and you will be fine at that boost IMHO.

Oh and keep the afr's In check of course.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
The MCX kit includes a MAP sensor converter that apparently puts a false ceiling on the MAP signal to the ECM. MCX says the stock ECM gets unhappy and throws a code when it sees boost, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
e85 is a lot less likely to knock, so I suspect it was a large part of thunder45's success. Keep that in mind as you figure this out.
Don't forget.... If you go e85, you will need new fuel lines, fuel pump and have to push way more fuel. It is less prone to detination but you need a lot more of it and it is corrosive to regular gas lines.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would think a 13g turbo off a Mitsubishi eclipse automatic would probably be more inline with what you'd want for size and boost. 13g did 200hp and would have a small enough compressor and exhaust housing to not have much lag but still have top end.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Don't forget.... If you go e85, you will need new fuel lines, fuel pump and have to push way more fuel. It is less prone to detination but you need a lot more of it and it is corrosive to regular gas lines.
Not true....all new vehicle have fuel line that are up to the task for ethanol. Almost all pump fuel from 87-91 had ethanol in it. Years back this was try though. The "push more fuel" part it correct!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts