Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please help my coolant levels keep dropping and there is a strong smell of coolant inside while i drive so i checked by the impeller and noticed a drip by one of the bolts keeping the casing the the impeller is mounted to there is only 1200 kms so if any body else has this problem please help the closest dealer is 3 hours away well the most reliable dealer there is one an hour away but not sure they no what there doing lol here are some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
I just had a similar issue with one of my trails. First thing I would do is wash away the dirt. Then start it and watch where the leak is actually coming from. Also check the hose clamps to make sure they're tight and make sure all those bolts are at or near torqued (it's not high, only like 11 ft/lbs IIRC and this is soft aluminum so be careful here. you can start at 7 -8 ft/ lbs and increase from there). Get the service manual from country cat as it defines the exact spec.

It could be the o-ring on the impeller cover. If it's that, you're lucky. It could also be the mechanical seal. This is a more involved job as you have to remove the exhaust and magneto cover and drain all oil as well as coolant. Replacing the mechanical seal is not hard, just time consuming to do. It would help if you have a press to get the new one in as well.

Start by watching and identifying exactly where it's leaking from.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hmm, that picture is a little small, but it does look like it's coming from that bolt. Have you verified it's not running down from somewhere else? It doesn't make sense to be coming from that bolt as there's no coolant behind there. That's a magneto cover bolt and the only thing behind there should be oil. Your pics don't even look like coolant mixed with oil, just coolant.

Here's the schematics I'm looking at:

Can you clean the whole bottom of the case there, run it and check and send a bigger pic? The only thing I can think of is there's a channel in the cover right there to that bolt, but that doesn't make sense as that's the purpose of the weep hole to the rear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just took it for a 45 min ride the coolant level stayed the same and looked in the same spot witn no leqks

·
Registered
677 Posts
Does it always leak or only when cold? When my trail was leaking it only did it when cold. Once it warmed up it didn't leak any more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just checked again and nothing but dont understand y it smells so strong with coolant

·
Registered
677 Posts
What is "it"? Just in general or are you smelling a specific spot?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While driving you can smell it in the cab i got a roof and windshield its smells like its coming from the motor

·
Registered
677 Posts
Check all your coolant line hose clamps. After I first bought my machine, I had a coolant leak and it ended up being a loose hose clamp. I know several others here, myself included, have replaced the OE hose clamps with better ones as the stock ones seem cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried tightening all the hoses but i may have missed one is there any joins between the motor and the front running along the skid

·
Registered
677 Posts
There's one up high by the thermostat. Look around part 20 in this schematic:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
There's two clamps right ahead of the firewall were the hard pipe from the motor switchs to rubber, mine leaked there till I tightened the clamps, smell was strong in the cabin with very little actual leakage.
Check all your clamps I found quite a few that weren't much more than snug!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts