Wildcat Forum banner

181 - 200 of 272 Posts

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I hope everything is Ok. You and Dannie will be missed and we will also see you next year.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I still had alot of fun drove all around custer state park and you guys need to drive and see needles hiway and drive up to the buffalo and the wild mules just stop at the gate and get a pass

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
We're home and doing fine. Each issue individually might have been okay to deal with on the road, but collectively it just felt like turning around was the best move.

First night out: DISH satellite didn't work. 4 hours (over two days) of tech support chats and calls got me nowhere. As did replacing the LNB on a hunch and buying a 50' coax to eliminate everything on the RV except a $7 hub/switch. The receiver works fine now that we are home, so it seems very likely it was the $7 switch. A new one arrives tomorrow.

When we arrived at the second stop (Horseshoe Bend campground northeast of Lovell, WY), the bedroom slide mechanism broke. Motor runs, slide doesn't move. The slide mechanism failing is a two edged problem: it is a worm gear drive, and the design relies on the worm gear to hold the slide shut (you can't drive a worm gear from the planetary (??) gear that the worm drives). So now it won't open, and it won't stay closed if you go around a righthanded corner too fast.

The next morning we headed up to see the Pryor Mountain wild horses. About half-way up, we ran into a small band of bighorn sheep. When we stopped to take pics, I noticed the Wildcat was leaking oil. No oil on the dipstick, and we're about 12 miles up in the hills. We had also experienced something like vapor lock. When the going got tough, and the trail to the horses has some very steep and very rugged sections, the 'cat would die for a second, catch, die again, etc until it cleaned up. I think it was heat related, therefore the vapor lock psuedo-diagnosis.

Back to the oil issue - we got back to the RV okay, but when we made the last minute change from bringing the Wildcat on our truck to bringing it in our trailer, I forgot to put oil in the trailer. I had a gallon of oil for the diesel, so in theory I could put that oil in the Wildcat, drive into Lovell and pray that the only auto parts store in this town of ~ 2,000 would somehow have reason to stock V Twin Mobil1 or the equivalent. I didn't want to risk wear to the trans by running a standard oil any longer than necessary. But then I would have to buy an oil drain pan, find someway to dispose of the diesel oil, etc. And the leak is somewhere on the front cylinder, which requires removing a good deal of the plastic.

All of that is what drove me to make the decision to turn around. Then as we got ready to leave the next morning the concrete parking log gets caught between the rear wheels and the hydraulic jacks - the air suspension on the motorhome had not raised up far enough to clear the parking log when I pulled forward. It took both of us and some creative jacking to get the concrete log out of the way and back in place.

To add insult to injury, we are rolling west on I-90 when Dannie sees this from the Pryor Mountain Wild Mustang facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/498371643575809/photos/pcb.2407559315990356/2407549432658011/?type=3&theater
"Titan" was born on the day that we were going to spend up on the mountain!

I think we're going to attend to our issues and turn around and head out for a Montana trip. We are thinking we didn't move far enough east when we left Seattle!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can cook up 8-10 lbs of the garlic sausage again this year for another meat dish for he pot luck. We added cheese and jalapeños to this year’s batch, but not much heat at all.
Maria and I ran a few of the trails last weekend and most of the puddles have dried up nicely. Some good rust on the Centennial Trial coming up from Dalton Lake which makes the ride a bit more fun......lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live about 30 miles from Piedmont so I won't be camping but was wondering if there is a general meeting area? I would like to meet you travelers and see all the mods you guys have done to your ditch pickles. How about a swap meet for selling/trading parts?

Local advise:
-8 ply tires advised (sharp slicing rocks here).
-Do NOT go mudding on the trails. I am a member of a local off-road club and that seems to be one of our bigger problems. Our "soil" is garbage and does not regrow vegetation and gets scarred easily. Stay on the trail and go slow through any obstacle. I love off-trailing as much as the next guy but we have been working for years to get the trails that we have.
-Keep in mind that trails are just opening up because a brutal spring with late heavy snow that knocked down thousands of trees across the trails. Lots of guys bring along chainsaws (and fill out volunteer forms for helping the under funded trail system).

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I lost a Rocker front tire (8 ply) to those sharp slicing rocks last year.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I live about 30 miles from Piedmont so I won't be camping but was wondering if there is a general meeting area? I would like to meet you travelers and see all the mods you guys have done to your ditch pickles. How about a swap meet for selling/trading parts?

Local advise:
-Do NOT go mudding on the trails. I am a member of a local off-road club and that seems to be one of our bigger problems. Our "soil" is garbage and does not regrow vegetation and gets scarred easily. Stay on the trail and go slow through any obstacle. I love off-trailing as much as the next guy but we have been working for years to get the trails that we have.
-Keep in mind that trails are just opening up because a brutal spring with late heavy snow that knocked down thousands of trees across the trails. Lots of guys bring along chainsaws (and fill out volunteer forms for helping the under funded trail system).
Do we need to fill out a form to help clear trees? If we do, where do we get them. Been asking on different sites lately and no answers. Will like to bring my chainsaw along to help out if we can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do we need to fill out a form to help clear trees? If we do, where do we get them. Been asking on different sites lately and no answers. Will like to bring my chainsaw along to help out if we can.
No you certainly do not have to fill out a form to help with downed trees, but our club does just so we can help the forest service with logging volunteer hours. Below is a recent email from one of our club honchos and I will attach the referenced (simple) form. Look up "Off Road Riders Association" on Facebook or you can forward any sheets to me and I will assist you if I can.

All Hands,

Most of the trails are starting to open, if you are out doing some riding, please help me out with passing on information, take good notes as for the trail numbers that you traveled and know they are open and passable, if you find a spot with a lot of tree blockage or a nasty mud hole, send me a picture and GPS coordinates.

I attached a tracking sheet, have everybody in your group sign, except the minors (less then 18) try to be as accurate as possible with the hours and send me a copy of the sheet by email, I need these tracking sheets for our file and record keeping.

Thanks everybody! Happy Riding!

Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
If we come across a trail with tree blockage, can we assume that if we trim the blockage we will not be getting into trouble with the Forest Service? I can't do much with my 20v 12" saw but I learned that a 9" D-saw is the pits on an 8" log while riding in the Big Horns here in Wyoming.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Correct, as I understand. I think the FS will thank you. Just don't get hurt (du). I have cut a lot of trees with my little folding saw I keep in my camelback/storage but I think the best route is the new cordless electric saws.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
thanks for replying, was going to bring my gas one but thinking of looking for the 20v one today.. have plenty of batteries that I will have with on the buggy already..

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you have any questions about clearing trees from the trails or digging any drainage for mud holes (thank you!) or even if you just come up on something that requires more attention, please get any GPS coordinates and/or trail location and you can send it to our guy from our club:

Dave Hague @ [email protected]

FYI he is super helpful and is a great guy.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Local advise:
Nice to have you aboard, come join our clowder. The Sacora Campground off I-90 is the general meeting place for those camping, RV'ing and coming from out of town. The Big D truckstop down the road is a good place to park your truck and trailer if you're trailering your rig. We'll be starting our days from the Piedmont Trailhead. Some members are already here.

The weather forecast is looking a little wet for our clowder, so I can only reiterate what Orvsr4me has said about "TREAD LIGHTLY"

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Any onsite reports from Piedmont from early attendees? Verlla & I will be heading that direction in the morning, it has been raining here in Lusk the past couple days.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Hi Roy
Mark and Mike went riding yesterday.
They said it was a little muddy.
Today Everyone was playing tourist and taking care of business.
We are planning on going out around 9:00 for a ride and I think they are planning on a night ride .
What time are you coming in?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Us newbies from Nebraska will be heading out today after work. We plan on being at the Sacora campground thursday morning. I did manage to get our temporary passes to ride on the roads. Just have to pick up the forest sticker when we get there. Looking forward to meeting everyone. I saw that there is a potluck friday night. I plan on doing pulled pork. Hope that's ok. This is our first big Wildcat group adventure. Plus first ever trip to the Black Hills. Getting kinda excited.....can you tell?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
We're looking forward to meeting everyone.
Making new friends,seeing old friends, riding,andtalking smack around the campfire.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
We should be there around check in time at 2pm or sooner depending on the road construction. Glad you folks are having some fun, looking forward to getting started on our share.

·
Registered
150 Posts
As of this morning (wed), looks like Thur - Sat will only be scattered with 20% chance of rain. Quick evening shower yesterday, but it was nice, kept the dust in control. Evenings will be quite cool around 50deg. unusual for this time of year.

181 - 200 of 272 Posts