Wildcat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 272 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
We rolled through there yesterday on our drive back to Montana to check out Sacora and some others in the area. It's very rough and run down. We did not have time to take pictures. Down the road toward Sturgis, about 8 miles, are several nice RV parks. They're mostly like parking lots on grass, but they're nicer. That's what is common in this part of South Dakota. We found one in particular we liked a lot for this type of trip but I'm not suggesting making a change... Just observations since some have asked and we were in the area.

How any people are expected for this trip?
Responded to your PM, but the biggest reason we are staying at this campground this time around, was because it was convenient for Thomas (OUrode12) to get us together for rides. If it turns out to be a bust for a place to stay, we can come up with a new place to stay for the following year with Thomas's help. I do like the convenience of being right off the interstate, but if we discover a better place to stay while we're out there next year, I'll try and get something set-up for us while we're there. I don't know how many people plan on coming next year, but the more the merrier. Hope you still plan on coming next year.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Thanks. We've camped in the Black Hills numerous times. We try to go every year. But, I have never ridden there so this will be exciting. Those Camp 5 trails near Sturgis look fun.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We rolled through there yesterday on our drive back to Montana to check out Sacora and some others in the area. It's very rough and run down. We did not have time to take pictures. Down the road toward Sturgis, about 8 miles, are several nice RV parks. They're mostly like parking lots on grass, but they're nicer. That's what is common in this part of South Dakota. We found one in particular we liked a lot for this type of trip but I'm not suggesting making a change... Just observations since some have asked and we were in the area.

How any people are expected for this trip?

Responded to your PM, but the biggest reason we are staying at this campground this time around, was because it was convenient for Thomas (OUrode12) to get us together for rides. If it turns out to be a bust for a place to stay, we can come up with a new place to stay for the following year with Thomas's help. I do like the convenience of being right off the interstate, but if we discover a better place to stay while we're out there next year, I'll try and get something set-up for us while we're there. I don't know how many people plan on coming next year, but the more the merrier. Hope you still plan on coming next year.
Sacora is a bit old and isn't the nicest in the area from what I remember also. You guys may want to check this one out as well, its just a couple miles from our house and a couple miles from Sacora so its still in the same general area. Elk Creek Lodge and Resort That place looks like its most likely nicer than Sacora. I drive by it every day and it always looks like a well kept area. Hell if I had amenities on our property I would setup the meet at our place! We have 19 acres that would work great, but we don't have any sort of public shower or restroom accommodations.

Thanks. We've camped in the Black Hills numerous times. We try to go every year. But, I have never ridden there so this will be exciting. Those Camp 5 trails near Sturgis look fun.
Camp 5 is a great area! Lots of fun trails there.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hopefully when Thomas gets back on here again and reads the comments about Sacora, he'll have some answers for us or a possible alternative for the following year. Myself and others have already made reservations for next year, so I'm sure it'll be fine and we can make it work this time. If we do decide to move our get together to a new place the following year, I will want to try and find an affordable place to accommodate as many people as possible. Some people come from long distances and having to spend a lot of money for accommodations may deter them from coming. I also want a place where they have RV sites and cabins, because not everyone has a toyhauler to stay in. I'm always open to any ideas anyone has, but keep in mind, I'm trying to make this as fun and affordable as I can and keep everyone in the same place. This coming year, if anyone wants to stay at a different nearby campground or motel, I will do everything I can to keep everyone in the loop for rides and any other activities that are going on. Thanks guys for your feedback about things out there, it definitely helps me trying to do this from Wisconsin. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
The main reasons we settled on the Sacora was; price was right for tents, RV's and cabins, easy in and easy out, solid ground, less than 1 mile from groceries, gas, trail-head and alcohol. Let's not forget it has cell coverage and internet, I remember that being a big deal in Nemo. To my knowledge, it doesn't reek of cat urine either.... lol, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The main reasons we settled on the Sacora was; price was right for tents, RV's and cabins, easy in and easy out, solid ground, less than 1 mile from groceries, gas, trail-head and alcohol. Let's not forget it has cell coverage and internet, I remember that being a big deal in Nemo. To my knowledge, it doesn't reek of cat urine either.... lol, lol.
That my friend is a good point!!!!! I'll NEVER forget that smell!! :yikes: :puke:

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
thinking of smells...well, not exactly but do we need to bring duct tape for the holes in the floors/walls of the cabins there?...

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
it worked!...not as funny as the kid they sent to fix the broken glass in one of the windows...he came in with a hanger that was straightened out in to a circle/loop...had about 12 duct tape rolls in various colors and widths...i must have had a dumbfounded look on my face that matched the wife's look when our eyes met when he came to the door...good god!...
where you been joe?...send our best to the mrs...

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Nemo set a rather low bar, but the people that attended last year more than made up for it. We are very much looking forward to 2019.

If there is anyone planning to attend that will be heading east more-or-less along I-90 and has time to meander a bit, PM me and I'll share our thoughts about things to do along the way. I think it will be a 3 to 4 week trip for us.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Well Pete
Book a flight. Come on over,everyone would love to have you there.
Besides there would be no doubt about who traveled the farthest.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Well I guess it is getting to be about that time for me to send off for my permits for the June trip.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
Well I guess it is getting to be about that time for me to send off for my permits for the June trip.
the 2019 permits aren't listed yet jim...online it's posted that there are a few available by calling but I've called twice without a reply from the messages I left...think the gov't shutdown has closed the office...

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Has anyone been contacted by Sacora Station to set the actual reservation?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm just trying to knock it out when a remember it.
Old brain can you process 1 thing it a time and even then it is at almost full capacity. Lol

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
Has anyone been contacted by Sacora Station to set the actual reservation?
not since last year when we made the initial contact with them...gave them name and contact info along with the dates...

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about reservations yet too, still have my original note but have not heard a word yet.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hey Roy. When I set-up things with Nancy, she told me at that time that she would just take down names and I believe phone numbers and then when it got closer, she would call for credit card payments. If you haven't called her yet, just let her know your with the Wildcat group and she'll write your name down. I believe I have all needed info in the opening part of this thread. If not, let me know and I'll get whatever you need.

41 - 60 of 272 Posts