Wildcat Forum banner

2023 Wildcat XX Black Hills Edition

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  izom 
#1 ·
So AC/Textron releases the Black Hills Edition. Should that have been named the Black Hills Forest Road Edition?

I get it, we love the Black Hills and expect to only run Forest Roads, as the actual ATV trails are limited to 62". And I also understand that the limited ATV trails are only 1/4 of the available riding. But there is a reason that the rental shops mostly rent sub 62" trailable SXS. As their renters would be racking up tickets trying to run the actual ATV trails.

The last time we were out there, the LEO's were ramping up their game. It used to be it was a law that was hardly enforced. But even the rip up to the Nemo flag is 62" or less.

#2 ·
dont know what areas you ride down in the Hills, but, we havent ran out of areas yet that have good "trails" for the 64" + rigs.. those trails have always been marked as 62" or less all the years weve been riding there.. Nemo area is pretty much for the smaller rigs/4 wheelers.. been there done that, on to better places now..

#4 ·
Agree, we had no loss of places to ride for sure, and are headed back at the end of September to do it again. I just found it ironic, that they refer to it as a trail machine in the marketing. I'm just glad they did not use the term trail, as it would give the impression that they made it narrower like the old trail models.

#5 ·
By the pictures I am seeing, I don't believe there is anything different about the transaxle other than having a lower gear ratio. This is also referenced on their website when saying: "This new transaxle has 40% reduced low gear ratio, making it stronger and more durable"

This wording makes me believe that they are using the lower gear ratio as the sales pitch that the gearbox is now "different and stronger". There is some truth that having a lower gear ratio can help some parts of the transaxle be a little stronger when climbing, specifically in low gear, as the torque loads are not as severe through the gearbox compared to trying to push through a taller gear ratio, but there are many other factors that are causing these gearboxes and diffs to fail.

Bottom line is that I think I will still be plenty busy with prepping and repairing these transaxles and diffs.

#7 ·
#8 ·
...at least they are doin something...but offering just one chassis and one motor is still not much...dont forget- polaris has still 6 different trail models- with 900 or 1000cc to choose 50 or 60 wide- and their under 20 k !!

Wildcat XX Black Hills Edition | Arctic Cat (txtsv.com)

Trail Riding Side-by-Sides (SxS) | Polaris RZR

btw biff you are up there - near plant? dont you have any insider information whats goin on with arctic cat future??
Seems like everyone I know, "knows someone" at the plant. But there are only a few that are privey to the direction of development. It does confuse folks when they see all the shipping crates from so many different mfgs in the lot though. Those photos get quite a bit of attention and start rumor mills when posted.

A buddy I ride with has a RZR trail 1000. It's a sweet machine for the tight spots. I think it's hard for woods guys to imagine the wide open spaces of the dunes and launching 72"+ machines as much as it is hard for the dune guys to understand us whacking our mirrors in daily on the sub 64" machines. It's why most brands offer both.

AC/Textron is doing it's best to survive in powersports. And limiting their line up to what is selling is doing that for them. I am quite active in the sled forums as well. And the market is crazy for Yamaha/AC with their sled lines. But it is good press for them to release their 2024 sled chassis at Haydays in a couple weeks. I hope they have the Black Hills edition on display. As they get plenty of attention on MFG row at Haydays.

The bigger buzz are the larger AC/Textron dealers taking on Kawasaki, or another competing brand so that they have a full line up of ATV/SXS/UTV's as well as Dirt Bikes. That makes the AC loyal shudder just a bit. It does make the customers question the Yamaha/AC agreement and longevity. We will see with every year of releases in dirt and snow. It's good to see this XX come with another year. As AC has limited it's Yamaha based sled line with the 7000/Viper series shrinking.

#12 ·
...i dont think it takes much to "tighten up" the machine to 60" ??! - but who knows how big this market is and if its worth it- at least we must be happy that there must be someone sitting and thinking bout improvement etc.....so in general i see this model in a positive way ;-)

what pics you where talkin of biff !? ;- ())

#13 ·
what pics you where talkin of biff !? ;- ())
The ones posted on Hardcore Sledder of the plant in TRF with AC, Yamaha, Lynx and SkiDoo crates in the lot. Of course the 120/200 line come out of TRF, so they are crated up to be shipped from there. As well as the Yamaha models. So in the sled world that starts the rumor mill running.

The latest has been comparison photos of the 2024 new chassis next to a new Doo. They are very similar and folks were speculating that they were a Doo design. WTF, how different can you make a machine with a track and two skis. (smile)

#20 ·
-They all come out of the AC plant in TRF. They are packaged in the brand they are headed to, but are all identical other than color and graphics.-

...wow thats crazy- good for the plant- lot of work ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.