Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting here so go easy on me!

We bought a 2014 Wildcat 4x 8 months ago. Thought it was a good first side by side to get into because it only had 200 miles on it and the price was right. A few month in I was riding in the desert when my stock muffler started falling apart. Extended warranty would not cover it so I purchased a Speedwerx L2 muffler and Power Commander to ensure it didn't run lean. At that point the unit had about 700 hours on it. Last weekend we had our first chance to head out to the desert for a ride more than just cruising around the farm. Unit had about 900 miles on it. Everything was fine till we got on a good road and picked up speed. The L2 blew right off the machine and threw the core into a bush starting a fire. Luckily we were able to put it out before it got big. The canister of the L2 pulled right off the base which is still attached to the header. Some of the bolts sheared off but a few of them stayed with the base and the canister pulled right through them. Any idea what could have caused 2 different style mufflers to have catastrophic failure like this? Seems to me like the exhaust temps are getting extremely hot and weakening the mufflers but I could be wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics... KIMG0147.jpg KIMG0148.jpg KIMG0149.jpg

More info:
Coolant temps were between 185 and 202 the entire day.
We had the Speedwerx tune for the L2 loaded into the Power Commander.
Recently installed a Dalton clutch kit
We changed the oil before any of this happened.
Besides changing the oil and adding the Power Commander we have not touched the motor.
My background is more in semi trucks and agricultural equipment, I didn't grow up around small engine stuff like the Wildcat so this is all new to me.

Any direction you all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
27,592 Posts

·
Administrator
27,592 Posts
Welcome AZmilkman, on this site nobody is going to give you a hard time, trust me. Let's go over some of this, you mean 700 miles, correct? 700 hours are almost impossible. To me, it seems like you have a very lean problem, which is producing a lot of heat. You say you have a tune, through the Power Commander. Who did it? Your temps are fine though, so it could be some type of exhaust issue. Give us anything else you can think of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, yeah I meant to say 700 miles.

We (son and I) installed the Power Commander after the stock muffler broke. It's from Speedwerx and the map in it is supposed to match the L2 muffler I installed at the same time.

I was thinking it could be running lean on the first muffler and was hoping the PC would help to solve that issue. The car was running real well up until the muffler blew up. That said we had not run it since before we put on the muffler, PC, and clutch kit so it may have been under performing for those mods and we wouldn't know it. We were also watching the coolant temps very closely because we didn't know what to expect from the new setup which is how I know it never ran hot all day.

Most of the day before the muffler failure was in slower trail riding. The failure happened both times right after or during higher speed runs.

What are some typical causes of these motors running lean? Can your exhaust get that hot without the coolant getting hot at all?

Like others on here I need to put it in neutral and give it a bit of gas to get it started.

It idles real rough on start up till it warms up.

Air filter needs to be replaced or washed. It's not caked dirty but it's not super clean.

That's all I can think of right now but I'll post anything else I remember.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Looks like the packing was baked down and clogged the exit. You need to disassemble the L2 every couple hundred miles. Remove the fiberglass packing, wire brush the core and spark screen, re-wrap the core tightly and reassemble. Moose has a good packing byt check with Speedwerx for their recommendation. Rather than spending $$ on a new muffler just rotate the base and redrill the holes in the body. Might need to weld the core back to the cap though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not familiar with this type of muffler so if this is a dumb question let me know. When the packing gets baked down does its color change? The little bit of packing I found was still white.

Also do you think there is no connection to having issues with both mufflers within a few hundred miles?

If I trade this unit in for a new one (if I can convince my wife...) I'll probably rebuild the L2. If I keep it I think I'll get the Speedwerx 2015 headers so I can put on the Q6 muffler. The L2 was way too loud for the family riding we do. I believe the 2015 headers will also allow me to add EGT and O2 sensors so I can monitor what's going on better. Also if I keep it I'll probably get the PC Auto Tune. We ride at about 1100 Ft elevation around Phoenix but plan on riding up in the mountains that can be as high as 7000 ft. so I think the auto tune would be useful.

Thanks for the input! I've learned a lot from reading through this forum!

·
Administrator
27,592 Posts
Got good news today from Speedwerx. They are going to replace the L2 muffler on warranty. Good to spend money with a company that stands behind their products.
Well that is great news, but do you still have the lean condition / problem?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I installed a Dobeck AFR+ fuel controller on my 14x. AFR is constantly displayed and easily adjusted. No problems in 32,000 km and best money that I spent on the X.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that is great news, but do you still have the lean condition / problem?
It's going in to the dealer today. Hopefully they can determine whether or not it's running lean. I really don't want to put the new muffler on just to have the same issues again. This is the dealer I purchased the unit from. I believe they used to be an AC dealer but are not anymore. I hope they have enough techs still around with AC experience.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Experience with the Power Commander is probably going to be more important than AC experience. The only thing they will need to know about the Wildcat is where to stick the O2 sensor/probe, assuming they have an AFR meter in their shop.

·
Registered
127 Posts
make sure you are using 91 octane fuel that lower grade fuel will make it run hotter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Experience with the Power Commander is probably going to be more important than AC experience. The only thing they will need to know about the Wildcat is where to stick the O2 sensor/probe, assuming they have an AFR meter in their shop.
Problem is that the first time it happened the machine was bone stock. Stock muffler and no PC. I installed the PC with Speedwerx map for the specific muffler I installed thinking it would solve any lean problem but it happened again. Makes me wonder if there is some other issue causing the problem. Is there anything other than an incorrect fuel map that could cause a lean AFR? The question seems counter intuitive but I don't know anything about these engines. Learning as I go.

Also I noticed the dealership had one other Cat sitting out back. Looked like it had the exact same problem- stock muffler looked like it got brittle and was falling apart and the bed had a big hole melted through it.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The fact that you had a muffler problem stock and then again with the PC installed suggests there was an underlying problem that continues.

Did you tune your PC map, or did you just install the map that they sent you? If your Wildcat has a problem (bad or clogged injector, low fuel pressure, etc), running the standard PC map for your muffler would not result in the correct AFR. It would just overlay the adjustment that a properly running Wildcat would need to run correctly with the new muffler, and your machine would still run lean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My thoughts exactly. I did not tune the PC map. Just loaded the one from Speedwerx. I'm worried that there is an underlying issue. We bought it in late 2018 with only 200 miles on it. It's a 2014 so it must have sat around unused for a long time. Would there be anything from sitting that long that would potentially cause it to run lean?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Fuel systems sitting for long periods often wind up with varnish building up. With that reminder as to the history of your X, I would probably send the injectors out for testing (to give you peace of mind if they are the problem), then cleaning and balancing.

Were you able to test your fuel pressure? I would do that first.

I just realized that no one has confirmed that the info in the diagnostic screen is indeed fuel level (percentage full?), not pressure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I pretty much brought it right to the dealer. I can understand the theory of the mechanical aspects of the motor but I've never been good at actually wrenching on them. Usually do more harm than good with a set of tools and a broke machine! LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts