Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo... I ordered a 3D printer that will be arriving in the next few weeks hopefully. I've been learning about 3D drawing and design and have been making a pile of random around the shop and house stuff but have been leaning more towards parts and accessories lately. I drew up my first part for the Wildcat yesterday and was looking for some more ideas. The part is a 1" Ram Mount ball for the roll cage since I can't seem to find a bar clamp style, only the strap type. Does anybody have some more ideas of what I could design? Something you've been looking for that isn't available yet? I'm more or less looking for some challenges to get better at making stuff like this and who knows, if one or two work out, I'd be happy to make some for you guys. The cost to print one of these ram mounts should be only a few bucks worth of material.

Roll_Cage_Ram_Mount.jpg

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Sooooo... I ordered a 3D printer that will be arriving in the next few weeks hopefully. I've been learning about 3D drawing and design and have been making a pile of random around the shop and house stuff but have been leaning more towards parts and accessories lately. I drew up my first part for the Wildcat yesterday and was looking for some more ideas. The part is a 1" Ram Mount ball for the roll cage since I can't seem to find a bar clamp style, only the strap type. Does anybody have some more ideas of what I could design? Something you've been looking for that isn't available yet? I'm more or less looking for some challenges to get better at making stuff like this and who knows, if one or two work out, I'd be happy to make some for you guys. The cost to print one of these ram mounts should be only a few bucks worth of material.

View attachment 31665
Whats the lifeline like out of the material ?

One of our main companies we work with produces parts on a 3d printer for Prototyping after they had an issue with a supplier releasing info before the patient was finalized, They said though that the life of their parts vs the parts we make is drasically less, They use them as a pour in mold and can only get 20-30 parts out of the parts 3d printed where the parts we machined they could get thousands of pulls of of it.

If you have questions or need help getting something designed let me know , I work with Solidworks Daily and am pretty handy with it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't intend on injection molding the parts after a prototype is made. My plan at this point was to make a few things out of ABS or a filament similar to the plastic used in gopro mounts and bolt them to the roll cage. This is purely educational because I like to tinker and I have no plans to produce these other than to share a few with those who are interested. I think if they are printed with a heavy infill (nearly solid) they should hold up fairly well for at least a few years. From all the reading I've been doing it sounds like PLA (the standard basic print material) is good for about a year exposed to the weather but is technically biodegradable which makes me think it will weaken over time. I figure even if I get a year out of a mount or a clamp of some kind on the cat, its worth it to print another one for 2-3 dollars. I have my doubts it will be effective for any heavier stuff but to hold my GPS or something it should be alright I think.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you haven't, jump on Thingaverse.
I sent my son a 3D printer for Xmas and he's already selling parts.
He made parts for quivers that are big sellers, he made a carbon fiber bow and needed finishing touches. So he printed them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah, I've been all through that "thingiverse" site for the past couple weeks. There are literally endless amounts of things on there. I may try a few but I prefer the challenge and satisfaction of making my own parts from idea to in my hands.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I don't intend on injection molding the parts after a prototype is made. My plan at this point was to make a few things out of ABS or a filament similar to the plastic used in gopro mounts and bolt them to the roll cage. This is purely educational because I like to tinker and I have no plans to produce these other than to share a few with those who are interested. I think if they are printed with a heavy infill (nearly solid) they should hold up fairly well for at least a few years. From all the reading I've been doing it sounds like PLA (the standard basic print material) is good for about a year exposed to the weather but is technically biodegradable which makes me think it will weaken over time. I figure even if I get a year out of a mount or a clamp of some kind on the cat, its worth it to print another one for 2-3 dollars. I have my doubts it will be effective for any heavier stuff but to hold my GPS or something it should be alright I think.
Very good point at the cost vs life deal. The molded parts I was talking about was a simple pour in so there was no injection force or pressure.

Either way I'll be interested to see how these turn out!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I personally have been looking for a skull or something cool for a shift knob. There are lots of aftermarket ones out there but I don't want to lose the position labels on top of the stock one since I let people drive my cat that don't know where they are at. Let me know if you get interested I am willing to help with funds. Also some dash trim pieces that go around the speedometer and the steering wheel that don't cost an arm and a leg like the aluminum ones do would be cool.

Reactions: Chillavilla

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both cool ideas, perhaps I'll start on a shift knob this evening and post up some pictures. I'm at work out in the bush for a few more weeks and the cat is at home... Can you measure and post the dimensions of the dash trim piece and diameter of the gauge?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I will work on getting measurements this evening and post them. Sorry I didn't see your response until now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't know a lot about the materials you are using but is it durable enough to tap and thread to the post or will it need an insert of some kind??

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the ABS will be hard enough to tap but I would lean towards setting a nut, or something deeper, like a redi-rod coupler (basically an 1 1/2" long nut) into the knob to be more solid and you can use the stock jam nut on the bottom so it can be tight facing any direction. Do you know what size the threads are as well? I've only had my X a few weeks now and wanna say it looked to be about a 3/8 thread but I haven't had a need to check yet.

I found this skull design online and just added the raised lettering for the gear pattern. I liked the long teeth, kinda reminded me of the arctic cat logo.
Skull front.jpg Skull rear.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It should only take a couple of hours to print. That being said I'm still waiting for my new printer to show up and I'm at work in the bush for a few weeks yet. As soon as I get some printed they'll be posted up on here.

Reactions: Tn32268

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I think the ABS will be hard enough to tap but I would lean towards setting a nut, or something deeper, like a redi-rod coupler (basically an 1 1/2" long nut) into the knob to be more solid and you can use the stock jam nut on the bottom so it can be tight facing any direction. Do you know what size the threads are as well? I've only had my X a few weeks now and wanna say it looked to be about a 3/8 thread but I haven't had a need to check yet.

I found this skull design online and just added the raised lettering for the gear pattern. I liked the long teeth, kinda reminded me of the arctic cat logo.
View attachment 31797 View attachment 31798
Check into threaded inserts - you can get some from mcmaster.com that have 3 or 4 prongs you drive into the material to prevent it from turning , that way you can snug it up use a jam nut and not have to worry about the threads cracking and coming loose.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very cool. Exactly what I've been looking for. I have taken all the measurements for the dash pieces and will get them drawn cleaner so you can understand them. The shaft going into the shift knob measures 7/16 I believe. This was using the tape measure method as most my tools are at work. I will also try to get time tomorrow to remove my shift knob and take the jam nut to the hardware store to verify the thread. Thanks for your time and efforts designing that!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally got around to working on this and have something to show for it. I started with the skull shift knob and it turned out pretty good. I think I'll make it a little bit bigger and maybe raise the letters for the shift pattern a bit more so they don't blend in so much. They are actually easy to read but the camera makes it hard to see. I'm not going to mount it on the cat until its perfect and I get the printer dialed in a bit more for stronger materials. This is made from PLA which is fairly hard and therefore a bit brittle. I haven't done any cleanup or sanded off the strings but that should only take a few minutes once I'm happy with it.

Thoughts? More ideas?
Skull Back.jpg skull front.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very Cool. Keep me updated. Still interested in purchasing one when you get it dialed in.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The letters need to be turned around. If the skull is facing you as you sit in the seat, the letters will be upside down.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a good point, I was thinking I'd face it forward so my fingers rest in the eye sockets for good grip with gloves on. Easy enough to turn around for other preferences.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts