Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new here and am in the process of aquiring a Wildcat. I have always been a fan of E-Brakes off road as it allows you to kick the ass end around in hairpin turns. Considering the 4WD system and that the cat handles better in 4WD an E-Brake is not possible without going into 2WD. Can the transfer case handle being thrown in and out of 4WD using a momentary bypass switch mounted on an E-Brake lever (Like what drag cars have on the shifter for NOS)? Also can the clutching system handle the lock up of the rear wheels?

It may not be needed but I have always used cutting brakes or E-Brakes on faster rigs with good results. I plan on racing UTV Rally Raid and will be getting the rig built at D and P Performance.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wont work , the way I understand it is only the front dif is selectable open or locked with a switch and the rear is not open so turning brakes will not work.Your stuck with the large turning radius.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wont work , the way I understand it is only the front dif is selectable open or locked with a switch and the rear is not open so turning brakes will not work.Your stuck with the large turning radius.
I agree & disagree with you on that.

You are right about having individual wheel turning breaks because of the fact that the rear end is locked, but you still could have front & rear individual breaking that would help. Having front & rear breaking would work with even the diff locked & in 4x4, but only help in turns in two wheel drive.

The Honda Pilot I used to own had individual front & rear breaking and was mounted on the steering wheel with motorcycle style breaking levers. The Honda Pilot had hardly any steering radius at all and used drifting for the most part in the corners.

With separate front & rear breaking I could use the rear breaks to help me around a corner, or if I needed to get around a rock on a tight trail, I could just lock up the front breaks, turn the wheel and hit the throttle to do a sideways rear end creep. But I am not sure how you could get this to work on the Cat because of it being a foot break.

Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cutting brakes , which seems to be what he is talking about is differential breaking on the rear brakes not isolating the front from the rear brakes .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was reffering to a E-Brake where both rear tires lock up. The rear diff has a spool in it so cutting brakes are not possible. I was talking about a way to pull it out of 4WD quickly for a "powerslide" without having to mess with the switch on the dash. I was thinking of mounting the button on the ebrake since that is what i will be grabbing to initiate the slide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts