Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH OF THE WILDCAT ROLL CAGES:

Jonathan Perkey actually managed to flip a wildcat, not side-to-side, but end-to-end. Climbing a hill, he hit a large rock and that sent his front end up and over! This Wildcat landed on its top then rolled until it got to the bottom of the hill. Jonathan is safe because he was in a Wildcat with the HSLA steel roll cage. Here is what the Roll cage looks like now. He says it's barely bent... It's hard to see a bend at all.

Garry Griffith Cycle - Chattanooga, TN Dealer/authority on motorcycle/ATV Sales, Parts, Service Garry Griffith Cycle Chattanooga, TN 423-867-0423

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Yeah and before it came out so many internet jockeys were saying the cage would crush right in if it ever rolled because of the way the front of the cage is built. WRONG!

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I always wanted the top to be flat

That rounded deal at the top creates an "airfoil" effect (wing lift). This causes the wind to acclerate in ones face. Especially with a 1/4 windshield on. (puts a lot of strain on my skinny little pencil neck:rofl:)
ScreenShot04339.jpg
I don't know if I should take her out and roll her or get up there with a hammer and beat down the hump.

Well maybe I should get off my dead butt and build a nice low flat cage like Wildcat Willie's...

Come to think of it...the 'Willie cage' is so long and flat that instead of rolling end over end I bet if would just slide on the top all the way to the bottom of the hill...now that would be fun!

·
Official Site Vendor
181 Posts
Funny comment but your wing is upside down for the "accelerated air" to be in your face.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Rock hopper are those 15" rims

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Yep, 15" rims (Vision rims from Discount tire) 33" Baja Pro, bias ply tires from Mickey Thompson. Light weight but stiff enough to bang over rocks at 3 or 4 psi with no bounce.

Regarding the wind in the face acceleration - the top a a wing makes the air travel further - the effect creates a bit of a vacuum under the wing -- that void must be filled. (and a bit of a venturi effect makes it turbulent) I've experimented with different windshield, top combinations and find that either a full windshield with at top or no windshield and no top create the least turbulance in the face.

In my attempts to keep my goggles and hat from being torn off I've done a lot of thrashing on the design. I don't like wearing a helmet on a hot day but it's still the best way to get along with the blast.

My 'full winter enclosure' works well to keep the wind off my tender face but it gets like a sauna in there real quick.
ScreenShot06681.jpg ScreenShot06680.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah... You gotta think how much force and weight came down directly on the top of that cage. It's crazy that it held up that well!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"...now that would be fun!"

... especially if the cage you built decided to bend even more when it hit... your head scraping down the hill... AAAAHHHH

·
Registered
594 Posts
Cages

Yea this is good to hear that about the cage. I know where I ride its just a matter of time and I will roll the cat, I am sure this will happen quite a bit to me. I have set my winch up to move to where ever I need to on the vehicular to get the cat back on its wheels. Next thing I am building a guard around the winch to make sure it survives

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey OEM, Check out what one of my customers did, Terry Wilt. He even added some fender protection... voided the warranty on the frame I'm sure, but Either way lol.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the rest of the machine? I'm curious as to how the rest of it held up to that rough of a rollover.

·
Registered
594 Posts
From end mod

Hey OEM, Check out what one of my customers did, Terry Wilt. He even added some fender protection... voided the warranty on the frame I'm sure, but Either way lol.

Thats the best looking front end mod I have seen yet and the most functional . Every bumper I have seen untill this has been useless.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The rest of it held up very well. He had a bent lateral link and a very slightly bent rear trailing arm. The rest is just cosmetic. Scratches and dings. Plastic is surprisingly in tact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The rest of it held up very well. He had a bent lateral link and a very slightly bent rear trailing arm. The rest is just cosmetic. Scratches and dings. Plastic is surprisingly in tact.
Yea , it didnt hurt it to bad considering how hard it rolled... Now the question is will i have it payed off before we can get the parts from Arctic Cat to fix it lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
We should be good, Jonathan ;) . Whatever we can't get OEM, maybe we can find aftermarket.
Well i should be getting the pro armour doors with the next week or so and everything else we'll be doing should be oem. just cant wait to get it back so we can build the bumpers and stuff for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's gonna be sweet! I'll take some pictures while it's here, but you gotta send us some pics so we can add it to our "Wildcat Customers and customizations" album on Facebook.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts