Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my 2016 Wildcat X in April from a local dealership. I pulled the air filter out yesterday to clean it and it is COVERED in a thick almost grease like oil. I am familiar with K & N type oil and PJ filter oil. This is NOT like that. Anyone have any info they can share with me on that?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Should have FOAM filter oil on it. K and n oil is for cloth styles of filters and is very thin.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it should be tacky and really sticky? I think I will buy a new filter for my own peace of mind, since I am not the original owner. That way I always have a back up as well.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes, it should be tacky. If you buy a new filter, don't forget to oil it with FOAM air filter oil. I personally like the Bel-Ray foam air filter oil as it is super tacky and doesn't run off the filter like some other's I've tried. You don't want it super thick, just enough to stay on the filter and trap the dirt.

Reactions: Sak kitty

·
Registered
605 Posts
Agreed. Bel Ray is good stuff...

Always cleaned em with Uni foam filter cleaner. Then a hot water and Dawn Soap bath.
Oil, PJ1 Super Tacky
Ran this forever, still do on the KTM.
Figured it would work on the Cats, and it did.
FWIW...

C-ya!

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!! I stopped by the dealership where I bought my cat and one of their employees told me to soak the filter in 91 octane gasoline. One of their techs said to used Dawn Dish soap with no mention of gasoline. The tech also told me to use FFT Oil so I bought a bottle of that. I will use the DAWN and the UNI Foam Cleaner and follow up with the FFT Oil. My guess is gasoline might be a bit too harsh for the style of filter.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thank you!! I stopped by the dealership where I bought my cat and one of their employees told me to soak the filter in 91 octane gasoline. One of their techs said to used Dawn Dish soap with no mention of gasoline. The tech also told me to use FFT Oil so I bought a bottle of that. I will use the DAWN and the UNI Foam Cleaner and follow up with the FFT Oil. My guess is gasoline might be a bit too harsh for the style of filter.
You are correct. I've always heard not to use gas as it can eventually dissolve the glue and your filter will come apart. I've been using kerosene, but I'm thinking about switching to Zep Purple degreaser as it's not as strong (odor wise) and it's cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts