Wildcat Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Has anyone else installed this Alba Clutch Kit? I just got mine today and I am still unsure as to how much weight and where to place it on the cam arms. Is 4-2-2 tip to heel the way to go? I sure don't like the sound of 3800 engagement RPM though. Nate told me good base point is 1-1-4 heel to toe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm still working on my setup. Got a new helix and spring to try. Weights still have NO CLUE I can't really tell a difference.... magic or sumting I just don't understand

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have learned a bit from this project and I thought I would pass on some good to know info about the Alba/STM clutch kit. Upon opening the instructions right at the top it says the cams are not recommended for over 9000 RPM. As you all know our car can hit 9800 so that was concerning to me. The amount of hardware (washers, screws, O-rings) that goes on each arm is in my opinion all potential shrapnel. So I emailed Alba and they said don't worry that is just a generic instruction.... wait what?..... I also contacted STM directly and asked why they would say not recommended over 9000 and here is there direct response
"On your machine, the cam arms aren't rated to go passed 9000 rpm due to harmonics. The fasteners are good for going 8700-8900 max."

So for now I am sticking with their secondary set up and going with BD-X primary parts. More to follow I suppose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have learned a bit from this project and I thought I would pass on some good to know info about the Alba/STM clutch kit. Upon opening the instructions right at the top it says the cams are not recommended for over 9000 RPM. As you all know our car can hit 9800 so that was concerning to me. The amount of hardware (washers, screws, O-rings) that goes on each arm is in my opinion all potential shrapnel. So I emailed Alba and they said don't worry that is just a generic instruction.... wait what?..... I also contacted STM directly and asked why they would say not recommended over 9000 and here is there direct response
"On your machine, the cam arms aren't rated to go passed 9000 rpm due to harmonics. The fasteners are good for going 8700-8900 max."

So for now I am sticking with their secondary set up and going with BD-X primary parts. More to follow I suppose.
I've been running mine for 2 years with the Alba (STM) arms. My peak rpm is 9700, acceleration
Rpm is 9200. Haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
2018 72" Wildcat XX
51 Posts

Don't be concerned. I dealt with the same deal. STM has the worst backing of their products it's a shame. I have over 2500 between two clutched with their arms and no issues. The SPEED weight arms or any arms that hold magnetic weights, those are what you should be concerned with.
My car pulls 9500 RPM at 85mph on STM arms.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
DuneTrack-N,

Think of it this way: The primary controls off idle engagement and max rpm. The secondary is a load sensor and controls up shift and back shift. That's the basics, does that help?
Yes that's better then other responses I've gotten thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Wildcat XX, White/Gray
28 Posts

Good catch and I think that's a smart move. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I will never use a clutch kit that uses magnets for weights, I had one that the magnets broke apart, currently up in a box in my shop. Good weights for my grandkids pinewood derby cars

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't be concerned. I dealt with the same deal. STM has the worst backing of their products it's a shame. I have over 2500 between two clutched with their arms and no issues. The SPEED weight arms or any arms that hold magnetic weights, those are what you should be concerned with.
My car pulls 9500 RPM at 85mph on STM arms.
Well that is good to know I suppose. What primary spring to you run and what weight placement?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts