Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so as promised we are beginning the R/D process for new products on The Wildcat. We had a chance to get it strapped down and make some baseline runs. Keep in mind that these passes were made with the stock tires and not our normal dyno tire setup. We saw 58 RWHP with the stockers. With dyno tires this should be about 62-63 RWHP for comparison. Our new rims should be in tomorrow to mount up and re-run. We will be trying both dual and single exhaust setups to see how this motor responds and gains power. Please feel free to add any input or personal requests in this testing, so I am sure that all of your needs are met. Here is the baseline dyno chart.

Nate
Alba Racing

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great news. Build some reliable performance parts and you'll have a bunch of business!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
hp numbers are there but the transmission is stuck in overdrive, it wont backshift, THAT is a loss of power. get the clutch fixed and i think the complaints will dwindle. the more i drive it, the more i like it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Have you tried blipping the throttle to let it downshift? Oh and is this a production run wildcat alba is testing or a demo?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Seems like the HP and Torque build quickly and then taper off. Would a Cam change help this, or this this just related to the clutching?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Here's a couple things I would love to know the truth about...

I read something about a compression release on the second cylinder that opens at lower rpm's to make the engine run smoother. If this is true, I'm sure it is keeping the motor from reving as quick as it could.

The other thing I read was the ignition timing on the second cylinder is retarded slightly from timing of the first cylinder, also to make the motor run smoother.

These things were from guys that race prowlers and know how to make power with them. if you could confirm that either of these things are true, it could be a way to unlock some power.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Seems like the HP and Torque build quickly and then taper off. Would a Cam change help this, or this this just related to the clutching?
Thats a typical dyno graph from a CVT. Peak HP is pretty reliable but the rest of the graph pretty much just shows how well the clutch is working. In another thread, AIRDAM talked about heavily weighting the clutch to get high gear at a lower rpm and get the true power curve of the motor. Alba should try it.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would speculate that it is more clutch than cam profile, but cant say for sure yet.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a couple things I would love to know the truth about...

I read something about a compression release on the second cylinder that opens at lower rpm's to make the engine run smoother. If this is true, I'm sure it is keeping the motor from reving as quick as it could.

The other thing I read was the ignition timing on the second cylinder is retarded slightly from timing of the first cylinder, also to make the motor run smoother.

These things were from guys that race prowlers and know how to make power with them. if you could confirm that either of these things are true, it could be a way to unlock some power.
I know for a fact that there is a decompression assembly on the camshafts and that it is the limiting factor in the profiles we can run. The decompression is only in effect while the engine is slow cranking. Once the engine is running the decompression will not have an effect on engine performance. As far as timing goes we just haven't had the unit here long enough to get that deep. FYI though we have decided we need a dedicated shop unit for testing and will be picking up our new Wildcat from Bert's Megamall tomorrow!!!

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been waiting for Yosi and Vance & Hines to deliver dyno results with and without an EC box, adjusting the mixtures. I am also curious to see how much the clutch henders the performance with a pipe / EC? Will you be testing the pipe set ups, then do some clutch work and retest? There lies the real question, what is the benefit from both? I am waiting to buy one or both, just need some justification.

With that said, the user in this string stated the facts. The more you drive the cat, the better it gets. In the dirt / desert, it rocks (no pun intended). At Glamis, it was a blast for 180 miles, but does lag (stock tires) up the big dunes. There is no question it is superior to the XP, just need a clutch and pipe, then game on!

Please keep the quality info coming.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I know for a fact that there is a decompression assembly on the camshafts and that it is the limiting factor in the profiles we can run. The decompression is only in effect while the engine is slow cranking. Once the engine is running the decompression will not have an effect on engine performance. As far as timing goes we just haven't had the unit here long enough to get that deep. FYI though we have decided we need a dedicated shop unit for testing and will be picking up our new Wildcat from Bert's Megamall tomorrow!!!

Nate
Alba Racing
Hope you can swing even a better deal than I at Berts. I bought mine last Saturday

This is what I paid OTD

The break down was 16564.83 (Base Price) + 1,200 (San Bernadino Tax) 55.00 (Doc Fee) 52.00 (Lic Fee) & 7.00 (Calif tire recycle fee)

As of Saturday they still have a couple of Black & 1 green in stock for sale.

Thanks for all of the work you are doing & hope to become a Customer of yours soon.

Like others here, I am very interested what the power lost is with the current clutching system as well as the power gain a dual or single pipe & ECM setup will gain

·
Registered
986 Posts
Thanks for joining our looney bin, and thanks for the effort, can't wait to see what you get out of it. Show some gains before anyone else and you will likely get 100 orders in the first 2 weeks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
the dyno graph of these wildcats shows a larger bump at first and then the graph tapers off. this is because when you stab the throttle, the engine begins to rev and climbs in RPM. the "bump" or the tallest part of the graph is where the engine is making its peak power, which is 6850. as the RPMs climb past 6850, you see the graph taper off, that is because the engine is actually making less power up in the revs. the higher you rev this engine the less power it makes. i am unsure whether it is timing, or cams, or exhaust but one of those are the culprit to this machines lack of power up top, and when i say lack of power, i am not downing the machine. it has plenty of power, but has less power the more you rev it. keeping the RPMs down around 7000 is where peak power is, reving this machine to 7600+ is just making a bunch of noise and wont get you anywhere fast. a better set of cams and a tune will likely change that pretty drastically.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
I checked with my dealer and the front and rear coil was the same part # THE PROWLER WAS THE SAME PART # FRONT AND REAR TO. BUT THE WILDCAT AND THE PROWLER PLUGED IN, IN DIFFERENT PLACES.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guys, I started this thread to try and document what WE are testing and the results WE find. It would appear there are a lot of myths and speculations about this unit. As soon as I have some solid info it will be passed on.

Nate
Alba Racing

1 - 20 of 39 Posts