Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 is bone stock. I want to remove the catalectic converter for heat and if I get a performance bump than that's good also. So, remove the OEM muffler and replace it with aftermarket or just gut the catalectic converter on the OEM muffler. I'm tired of searching. I don't want loud this thing is loud enough I want lower temps.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Gut your existing muffler, all you get is a tone change and way less heat. If you do a slip on it gets louder.

·
Registered
2016 wildcat sport xt
85 Posts
I pulled mine drilled it a ton and dug it out with small crow bar and hammer. Really didnt get any louder to me. Took about an hour one evening felt like it pepped it up a little too as well as less heat. Still gets hot but not as hot as it did.

Reactions: vindex1963

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a both a gutted and stock muffler for my '15. I like the tone of the gutted, but it's much louder than the non-gutted muffler. Too loud for my area, when Forest Service and DNR folks are concerned. You will get a little more power, lower temps and a nicer tone with the gutted muffler, if you can put up with the extra noise.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will get a little more power, lower temps and a nicer tone with the gutted muffler, if you can put up with the extra noise.
Extra noise is what I want to avoid, if it's slight that's fine. Lowered heat is perfect.

Reactions: Td84

·
Registered
39 Posts
Extra noise is what I want to avoid, if it's slight that's fine. Lowered heat is perfect.
Maybe the Speedwerx Q6 exhaust would work. They claim slightly louder than stock with a deeper tone, less heat and more power. I have no experience with their stuff, but others generally rate it as good.

Reactions: Td84 and vindex1963

·
Registered
2016 wildcat sport xt
85 Posts
Emptypockets does your 15 have the upgraded header? I have a 16 sport and i know they went a different route on ours and i didnt notice much of a difference at all in loudness it is a little less tinny maybe a bit deaper but was not very noticeable for me. But i always thought the exhaust was a bit loud on my machine from time of purchase.vindex if it were me i would gut it see what you think and worse case senario you can always go aftermarket but everyones machines are different on my 16 sport xt i truly didnt get much difference in sound. But ours may be a bit louder than a 15 to start with, not sure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Emptypockets does your 15 have the upgraded header? I have a 16 sport and i know they went a different route on ours and i didnt notice much of a difference at all in loudness it is a little less tinny maybe a bit deaper but was not very noticeable for me. But i always thought the exhaust was a bit loud on my machine from time of purchase.vindex if it were me i would gut it see what you think and worse case senario you can always go aftermarket but everyones machines are different on my 16 sport xt i truly didnt get much difference in sound. But ours may be a bit louder than a 15 to start with, not sure.
I'll gut mine and see what it sounds like.
I have a 5/8"X12" masonry drill ready to go.

Reactions: BillyDGoat

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure about the upgraded header. As far as I know, it's the stock '15, but I wasn't told much about the machine when I bought it.

My gutted muffler is completely hollow, not just drilled. If you look into the inlet, you can see the spark arrestor on the outlet, and there's literally nothing inside. It's probably louder than some that are just drilled.

Reactions: Sak kitty

·
Registered
782 Posts
I wrapped my wife's header with DEI exhaust wrap and that significantly cut down on the heat in the trunk on her machine. I plan to wrap mine this winter. Just another thought if you don't want to drill just a yet.

·
Registered
2016 wildcat sport xt
85 Posts
Drilling multiple times will help break it apart, then you will need to dig it out. I used small crow bar and hammer but once it is busted up u will be able to get it all out. Be sure to wear gloves because the cat will cut you up pieces are very sharp. I think you will be happy with it. Exhaust wrap will help also. I dont think you will mind the change in tone on our machine as they are a bit loud already, but was not noticeable to me. Be sure to blast a ll the little crap outta there before you put it back on. Blasting with air and shaking the small bits out took me about as long as digging the peices out through the small inlet.

Reactions: Sak kitty

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drilling multiple times will help break it apart, then you will need to dig it out. I used small crow bar and hammer but once it is busted up u will be able to get it all out. Be sure to wear gloves because the cat will cut you up pieces are very sharp. I think you will be happy with it. Exhaust wrap will help also. I dont think you will mind the change in tone on our machine as they are a bit loud already, but was not noticeable to me. Be sure to blast a ll the little crap outta there before you put it back on. Blasting with air and shaking the small bits out took me about as long as digging the peices out through the small inlet.
Are the pipes leading to the muffler stainless? I have header wrap so I'll also wrap them if they're stainless.

·
Registered
2016 wildcat sport xt
85 Posts
Mine are not stainless, they are coated i believe. I have about 1300 miles on mine and it is discolored a good bit from high heat and riding conditions. The cat was in till about 1000 miles on my machine. How many miles are on your machine now? There is a heat shield at the cab and a heat bearier material, i removed the bed to make it easier and added some material as well as wrapping. By doing that and removing the cat it dropped the heat a lot, noticeable difference! Still gets warm but no where near as hot as before. Gut it, wrap the header where heat shield is and enjoy less heat and little more pep. I did this because the firewall behind the seat was getting uncomfortably hot and concerning me, but there seemed to be a little power benifit as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine are not stainless, they are coated i believe. I have about 1300 miles on mine and it is discolored a good bit from high heat and riding conditions. The cat was in till about 1000 miles on my machine. How many miles are on your machine now? There is a heat shield at the cab and a heat bearier material, i removed the bed to make it easier and added some material as well as wrapping. By doing that and removing the cat it dropped the heat a lot, noticeable difference! Still gets warm but no where near as hot as before. Gut it, wrap the header where heat shield is and enjoy less heat and little more pep. I did this because the firewall behind the seat was getting uncomfortably hot and concerning me, but there seemed to be a little power benifit as well.
1500 miles 85 hours.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
No stainless in the exhaust system.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Catalectic converter is gone, one thing I didn't expect is the annoying loud raspy exhaust sound is gone now it's just a deep hum, that alone makes it worth it.

Reactions: Td84 and Sak kitty

·
Registered
2016 wildcat sport xt
85 Posts
Good deal glad you are happy with it! It wasnt much louder at all to me, just a little deeper tone. I agree with the cat in it was almost like a loud buzzing that drove me nuts. The best part is when you get some good riding in and it is a bit cooler in the cab, especially when it hot as all get out in the summer.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I gutted mine as well after I tried a aftermarket slip-on, what a mistake that was.
The gutted stock muffler now has a nicer tone to it, doesn't sound like a sewing machine sound as it did before.
Doesn't seem any louder to me as the stock muffler is loud to begin with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm amazed that gutting it would mellow the sound and make it better, that just never happens, until now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe the Speedwerx Q6 exhaust would work. They claim slightly louder than stock with a deeper tone, less heat and more power. I have no experience with their stuff, but others generally rate it as good.
I have a Speedwerks Q6 muffler on my 2018 Wildcat X ! Very little sound increase ! Actually sounds better got rid of the metal tinnie sound ! Love it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts