Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the car wash to clean up the cat today. Wasn't that dirty, just a little mud from the deer lease. Didn't spray directly on the speedometer, just brushed across it. I don't like to spray directly on it. Anyway, after I got home to unload it I noticed nothing lit up on the gauge, speedo, tach, hour meter, nothing. 4 wheel drive switch right below it still works fine. Anyone else ever have this happen or have any ideas what I should check first? I'm electrically challenged to say the least so any input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
ive not had that happen to me, did you check all your fuses?, maybe let it dry out a little and try it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Went out in the garage and turned the key on just to see and now everything is working. I swear I haven't been drinking. LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'm reviving this thread because when I thought everything was working I was wrong. When you start it the gauge lights up and the speedo and tach work fine. That's what made me think everything was fine, but it's not. I can no longer change anything on the display when pushing the two buttons at the bottom of the gauge. I've tried just pushing one and then the other, and I've held both down for 5 seconds or longer and nothing happens. Right now the hours are dhiwing but I can't get it to show the miles.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Check the connections for water.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the connections for water.
I had the console and hood off yesterday and took the plug off the back of the gauge and sprayed electric contact cleaner in it and in the back of the gauge where it plugged in. Then I blew it out with the air compressor and put it back. It was dry when I took it apart though.

·
Administrator
27,972 Posts
Sometimes those gauges just get weird, like a ghost fault. Try disconnecting the battery, and unplug the ECU, under the passenger seat, use a little dielectric grease, plug it back in, connect the battery, see if that clears, and the gauge works.

Reactions: ALE 5six1

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sometimes those gauges just get weird, like a ghost fault. Try disconnecting the battery, and unplug the ECU, under the passenger seat, use a little dielectric grease, plug it back in, connect the battery, see if that clears, and the gauge works.
i'll try that today. thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Disconnected battery and ecm for about 15-20 minutes, then reconnected everything and still no go. Any suggestions other than buying a new gauge?

·
Administrator
27,972 Posts
Disconnected battery and ecm for about 15-20 minutes, then reconnected everything and still no go. Any suggestions other than buying a new gauge?
I don't think it's the gauge, but I don't have anything. Thought the battery thing would clear it.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
The smartass in me wants to say dont look at it but thats not really much help. Sounds like you may have to bite the bullet and get a gauge. May also want to take a look at the connection at the ecu, possible for water an/or corrosion to cause issues on that end.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I disconnected the battery and ecm it all looked good. I sprayed contact cleaner in the connector on the gauge just to make sure there wasn't any trash in there. I may try disconnecting it all one more time and let it sit like that overnight and then see if that changes anything. Think it would help to put any dialectic grease in the connections when plugging it back in? I'm considering selling or trading this thing so I want everything working like it should.

·
Administrator
27,972 Posts
When I disconnected the battery and ecm it all looked good. I sprayed contact cleaner in the connector on the gauge just to make sure there wasn't any trash in there. I may try disconnecting it all one more time and let it sit like that overnight and then see if that changes anything. Think it would help to put any dialectic grease in the connections when plugging it back in? I'm considering selling or trading this thing so I want everything working like it should.
Yes, I mentioned that before. Dielectric grease will not only seal, it forms a better connection. Why you getting rid of it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally got this thinking I could use it on the deer lease and occasionally take it out just for a play day here and there. Got off the lease this year and I still haven't taken it out to play yet. If I get a weekend with good weather I'm jumping on the Harley instead. It has less than 20 hours on it and I've had it a little over a year. Would rather trade it for a ranger xp or a viking than sell it. I could use one of those around the house to work with.

·
Administrator
27,972 Posts
Lease? How did you get a lease? Never heard of that?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's private property that you lease the hunting rights to. In this case it was a timber company. Common practice around here. A lot of people don't like hunting in national forest land, so they opt for a hunting club that has leased land from an individual or a company. That way you know who you're hunting around and where everyone is.

·
Administrator
27,972 Posts
It's private property that you lease the hunting rights to. In this case it was a timber company. Common practice around here. A lot of people don't like hunting in national forest land, so they opt for a hunting club that has leased land from an individual or a company. That way you know who you're hunting around and where everyone is.
LOL! I thought you meant you were leasing the Wildcat.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Id trade it on something you will use and let the dealer worry about it.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
The springs on the gauge female pins are of a "lesser quality" than they should be, try slightly twisting the pins on the gauge to improve the contact pressure. The same holds true to the contacts in the fuse block.

http://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/issues-resolutions/10657-fuse-block-pins.html

1 - 20 of 31 Posts