Wildcat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can put all of the "SAFETY Features" you want in a SXS, but you can't make the people in it wear them........
Exactly 100% correct. But the ones that do not use the given devices or any safety device at all are the ones that will be complain/suing when they get hurt.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Exactly 100% correct. But the ones that do not use the given devices or any safety device at all are the ones that will be complain/suing when they get hurt.
X2 But True Sad Really

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
But failure to use or improper use is AC's favor in court. The 3 points offer little to no rollover restraint.

dadszr I grew up just north of you....Justus, in the hills above Clarks Summit.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
But if you rollover you are already at fault for not driving in the designed usage see user's manual
Then why the cage, if not designed to protect the occupants in the event of a rollover:p

The arguement can go many ways, but when it comes to safety why compromise. Then again I grew up without wearing helment riding my bike, didn't wear it either when I was riding my skateboard. Did not need shoulder belts or airbags in cars. All the mentioned things were to make things safer for us. I do not agree with all of them and it should be left up to individual choice. A 5 point harness can be used in various, though not appropriate or recommended, configurations. Then those of us who employ the full safety factor can rest assured that we will have a better chance of survival in the unlikely event of God forbid a rollover.

As I said previous....it would make this the ultimate in the safety department. If not equipped from the factory, it would be dumb on their part, I would install a set myself. Lawsuits are the biggest threat to the profits of all recreational companies. It would be nice to see them continue to remain on top and out of court for such an easy fix.

·
Registered
80 Posts
But failure to use or improper use is AC's favor in court. The 3 points offer little to no rollover restraint.

Yeah that is not to far from me, seems like you traveled just a little distance. You ever come back to visit?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Then why the cage, if not designed to protect the occupants in the event of a rollover:p

The arguement can go many ways, but when it comes to safety why compromise. Then again I grew up without wearing helment riding my bike, didn't wear it either when I was riding my skateboard. Did not need shoulder belts or airbags in cars. All the mentioned things were to make things safer for us. I do not agree with all of them and it should be left up to individual choice. A 5 point harness can be used in various, though not appropriate or recommended, configurations. Then those of us who employ the full safety factor can rest assured that we will have a better chance of survival in the unlikely event of God forbid a rollover.

As I said previous....it would make this the ultimate in the safety department. If not equipped from the factory, it would be dumb on their part, I would install a set myself. Lawsuits are the biggest threat to the profits of all recreational companies. It would be nice to see them continue to remain on top and out of court for such an easy fix.
I have to agree, so the company spends a few more dollars on say a 5 point harness yes that cost gets passed on to us the buyer whether its used or not, Probably pennies on the dollar.But was there and the warning labels say to use it not lawsuit, But when its not provided and some whack job goes and wipes out, gets thrown out and rolled over and kill or deformed because I don't have the right safety equipment then that million dollar law suit that the corp. lawyers settle out of court gets passed on to us along with the next one and so on. In the end by putting a 5 point harness in it will save money and keep the cost down and we as consumers get a better price. will everyone use them of course not, but its back to cover your a$$. As for having it on its skid lid, well as we all now it happens from time to time regardless of what the manufacture recommends. They know that and we know that, so you take the steps to protect everyone.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Small world...I grew up in Peckville....cut my teeth on the culm banks and silt pits of northeast PA...when did you grad high school? Lakeland I assume?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Small world...I grew up in Peckville....cut my teeth on the culm banks and silt pits of northeast PA...when did you grad high school? Lakeland I assume?
That's cool where you hiding these days?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Now you want me to date myself......Bishop O'Hara '83. My Grandmother used to live in Peckville on Keystone ave. A few houses up from the borough building. We use to pick coal from the tailings piles at the end of Keystone ave. I used to ride over the Mountain, down thru the drive in, down past Viewmont mall, then high tail it thru Dickson City heading to Carbondale, stop by see Gram, on the way thru to Eynon, then head home up thru the Wildcat, getting back up top of the mountain to the power lines, or head for Chapman lake depending on how late I was already.

I get back to Pa every couple of years. I have a teenage daughter that is very sports active so vacation time is usually travelling with her to soccer or wrestling tournaments. Yeeesss wrestling and she is pretty good at it. She is Alaska State Champ in Freestyle at 124 lbs and is ranked 6th in USGWA in the nation at 126 lb. Her soccer team is real good also, they just won the AK State Championship for U17. She got asked to play goalie as our regular goalie had a bad ATV accident over the 4th and is going to be out of sports for a while due to a head injury, unbuckled helmet, she only allowed one goal for the entire state tournament and that one went off her own player. I will let you know when I am coming that way and we can get hooked up for coffee. I am betting, depending on your age you most likely know one of my brothers or maybe a close relative.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Now you want me to date myself......Bishop O'Hara '83. My Grandmother used to live in Peckville on Keystone ave. A few houses up from the borough building. We use to pick coal from the tailings piles at the end of Keystone ave. I used to ride over the Mountain, down thru the drive in, down past Viewmont mall, then high tail it thru Dickson City heading to Carbondale, stop by see Gram, on the way thru to Eynon, then head home up thru the Wildcat, getting back up top of the mountain to the power lines, or head for Chapman lake depending on how late I was already.

I get back to Pa every couple of years. I have a teenage daughter that is very sports active so vacation time is usually travelling with her to soccer or wrestling tournaments. Yeeesss wrestling and she is pretty good at it. She is Alaska State Champ in Freestyle at 124 lbs and is ranked 6th in USGWA in the nation at 126 lb. Her soccer team is real good also, they just won the AK State Championship for U17. She got asked to play goalie as our regular goalie had a bad ATV accident over the 4th and is going to be out of sports for a while due to a head injury, unbuckled helmet, she only allowed one goal for the entire state tournament and that one went off her own player. I will let you know when I am coming that way and we can get hooked up for coffee. I am betting, depending on your age you most likely know one of my brothers or maybe a close relative.
Were the same way with the kids and sports, between football,baseball, softball and cheerleading you don't know which way to pull yourself, glad to hear your daughter is doing well in her sports, I broke out from Central Columbia in 1988 so you don't have to many on me all though I feel like it was 1948....lol But most definitely give a shout when your heading this way and if you have time we'll have a cup.

·
Registered
157 Posts

VV Class of '80 here....we still run the renegade trails up over the mountain to Montdale now and then........look fwd to having that coffee one day....would love to see Alaska some day too....you are lucky to be living in what is truly God's country.

hope your daughter is on the mend and everything turns out ok....

its a small small world afterall :cool:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Any of you PA'ers coming to Ak better look me up if coming this way. If you need help with a future trip to Ak let me know. I will steer you in the right direction and keep you away from most of the tourist traps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Any of you PA'ers coming to Ak better look me up if coming this way. If you need help with a future trip to Ak let me know. I will steer you in the right direction and keep you away from most of the tourist traps.
I keep telling the wife, someday I will go there and I will be taking the sleds with me....lol

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You Have To Be From PA:(

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well I'm not from PA but we have talked about heading up your way to do some riding. I may take you up on the offer, time will tell. Dog

21 - 40 of 42 Posts