Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Participated in the Arctic Cat Wildcat demo at Speedworld today (event continues Dec 4th from 9-3). Attendees can either drive or ride (must be 21 and bring your driver license). You get to do 5 laps on a mini LOORRS type course inside the circle track - a few jumps, corners and a section of offset whoops. The stock Walker Evans sprung suspension and power steering were terrific. Ergonomics and seating were very good for my 5' 8" size. After adjusting the steering wheel height and pressing the shifter into high gear it was right foot to the floor for a quick but very fun drive. The Wildcat was comfortable and predictable. Don't be afraid to ask for a 2nd turn in the while you're there. Grab your helmet, goggles and gloves and take a drive in one if you have a chance. Dave and Rick from Copper State Cycles were there to answer questions. :D

CIMG0013.jpg CIMG0018.jpg CIMG0021.jpg

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Welcome To The Site Utvpros
And Thanks

·
Registered
945 Posts
Welcome to the site Utvpros!! Thanks for the vid, Stock!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I got a chance to ride it and it was very nice. I tried to open up a gap in front and then do short blasts over the jumps and whoops. Definite nose dive over the jumps and worse when you let off on the gas of course. With the way they barricaded turn 1, I'm guessing that's where the reported roll over was.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Drove two times today. Suspension was great through the woops, very tipy in the corners, needs a stiffer swaybar. Power was very gradual and not hit at all. Launched it good over the jumps and got the wave to slow it down a few times but they never booted me out. Frame and arms are beefy. Brakes need to be more biasis to the rear. Spongy feel at the brake pedal also.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Tipy Never felt that

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The roll was in turn 2 and even with the limited motor I didn't nose dive once launched nice and level each time, don't let off the gas till the back wheels leave the ground :} I think the problem with feeling tippy was that they were in 4 wheel drive, I know I am more use to spinning my rear tires around turns than I am having the fronts pull. Compared to my buddy's xp the brakes felt fine. Buddy with xp said if he had to buy over again he would have gotten a wildcat.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I echo the brake shortcomings, wasn't sure if it was unique to mine. I sensed some tipiness too. I'd like to see a video of how the outward side suspension/wheels handle hard turns. Wonder if they're rolling under.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Some tippiness is inherent with a compliant long-travel setup, I would say. If you bind it up with more swaybar, then you'll lose articulation. Always a compromise.
On Edit: I need to clarify that by saying tippiness I absolutely do not mean that it is easy to roll. I am referring to the body roll that results from a compliant long-travel setup. On our first lap in Barstow we blew a corner big time, and entered the corner all sideways and out of shape, traversing a rut in the process. You could not find a better recipe for a rollover, but the WC cruised right through with zero drama.

·
Registered
32 Posts
After driving a stock Rhino this thing felt like a rocket. All four in our party noted nose dive after the jumps but I know they gave it as much rear weight bias as they could so what the heck. I would never even consider taking our Rhino over a jump that fast. I did get up on two wheels in the turn after the whoops and got yelled at, but I was going fast having taken the whoops at full throttle!! All in all we were all very impressed. I'm going to get one.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Thanks for the drive report Giffy and glad you like the WC. Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
32 Posts
One other note... the seats are very comfortable and the seating position instills a feeling of security and confidence. It made me feel comfortable pushing it fast, maybe too confident. I will have to learn what the limits are so I don't wreck it!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Not being smug here, but if you think a Wildcat is tippy, you must not have driven too many side x sides. This is by far the least "tippy". Not trying to advertise for this guy in any way, but here is a great video of just how non "tippy" the WC is. I'm pretty sure if you pitch any other SxS this hard on flat ground and especially sliding downhill, you are going over. This is very impressive, check out 1:40-2 minutes and at 2:40.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I got a chance to ride it and it was very nice. I tried to open up a gap in front and then do short blasts over the jumps and whoops. Definite nose dive over the jumps and worse when you let off on the gas of course. With the way they barricaded turn 1, I'm guessing that's where the reported roll over was.
Side x Sides nose dive due to suspension load and unload, it has nothing to do with weight. On short or steep jump faces, the rear suspension is compressed in the transition while the front wheels are going over the lip, then the rear starts to unload and hence the rear starts passing the front. Sometimes this can be accounted for with throttle, but some jumps are just going to cause you to buck in a SxS.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I agree with much of the above. It was the jumps that were forcing the Wildcat to jump the way it was. I know a bit about jumping UTVs if you have seen my album, you would probably agree. That being said, with the right throttle, I jumped it fairly level most of the time. You guys getting on 2 wheels need to learn when to brake in a corner. You are clearly going in too deep before braking. You should brake BEFORE the corner and then accelerate through it. And as far as "tippy", really? What have you driven in the past that makes this feel "tippy"?? Now if you are referring to body roll on the suspension, then that is exactly how it should feel. Every vehicle I have been in with lots of suspension responds the same way. I guess it is a feeling that some of you are going to have to get used to. Even a dialed in long travel Rhino, RZR, or Teryx doesn't compare to this suspension. And I have driven all of the above................

·
Registered
285 Posts
Suspension set up, jump face, throttle action, speed, accel/decel, and weight distribution all play a factor in how the vehicle handles (nose dive) in jumps. Probably didn't help matters that they were being run in 4wd. I pushed it hard over the jumps as well as watched others take the jumps and most nose dived.

As far as the tipping question, those videos highlight the vehicle's center of gravity shift in sharp turns. The demo staff warned of new grooves in the track from the previous night's pickup mudding action could be enough to tip the ACs in turns. I never got up on 2 wheels but could feel some sharp turn instability. I'm sure it's solvable with a slightly wide stance and swaybar.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I still didn't feel it. I hit the second straight away jump everytime and then right on the brakes when I landed. I drifted every corner, so I never felt tippy in the least. I understand how its possible, but I didn't get that feeling. I have removed the swaybar from every UTV I have owned, so maybe I am used to it. And you cant get a much wider stance or lower center of gravity than this. I guess some of you are comparing to nothing and just stating what your ride felt like. I am comparing to other UTVs I have owned and driven, so comparatively speaking, I noticed none of what you are referring to as tippy............

·
Registered
285 Posts
No doubt there's a comfort zone we all feel but I'm pretty sure I was close to being up on 2 wheels like giffy. Spacers should be helpful.

I originally thought the track wouldn't be technical enough but it turned out to be a good demo track after all. Kudos to AC for giving us AZ folks the opportunity.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts