Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info on the Z1 motor. Quality, serviceability, power? How does it sound?
I see Speed SXS or UTV is planning on putting this in the Speed XXXX and XX that they plan on producing themselves. Are these strong motors? Longevity? Thank you.

·
Administrator
27,615 Posts
The Z1 is a great engine, Greg Biffle proved that at Pace. You can check with them to see if they have any for sale. Easily makes over 300 hp. The main issue is finding one. Suzuki made them, but aren't making them anymore. "IF" you can find one in good condition, jump on it. There will be obstacles to overcome though, realize that. Different clutch, drive shafts, possibly diffs (need to hold up to the hp) are just a few of the things you'll need.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Looking for info on the Z1 motor. Quality, serviceability, power? How does it sound?
I see Speed SXS or UTV is planning on putting this in the Speed XXXX and XX that they plan on producing themselves. Are these strong motors? Longevity? Thank you.
---yesss- do it !! ;-()

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I dont think they know what motor they are using yet....and that's kinda scary considering that they have taking 2k-ish deposits. The Z1 is/was a great motor but has been out of production since 08 I think, and it would be hard to find 2k of those laying around??. If they are able to run that motor that would be a win for them because IMO it is the best 2 cylinder ever built. It is basically the center 2 cylinders out of the Hayabusa motor with larger bore and everyone know the power they make. The ONLY thing, and it is nit-picking, is that I do not like is the sound of the engine....sounds just like the old 800RZR.

I hope it all works out for them and everyone that has put money down with the promise of delivery fall of 2020....If they can deliver on all the hype then it will be an unbelievable machine!

·
Registered
138 Posts
The ONLY thing, and it is nit-picking, is that I do not like is the sound of the engine....sounds just like the old 800RZR.

I hope it all works out for them and everyone that has put money down with the promise of delivery fall of 2020....If they can deliver on all the hype then it will be an unbelievable machine!
This is accurate, it is NOT a pleasant sounding motor since its an inline twin.
The best bet if someone wanted to put one in a SxS would be to find a used snowmobile with it in. There are a ton out there, but then you have a sled chassis that you may not need/want.

Regarding Speed's engine for their SxS I read they have an engine manufacturing facility that will be building the engine and at least in that text, it said it was based off the Z1 engine.

They are shooting for the moon and its great, but it sounds like there are an awful lot of TBD items yet. Engine, Drivetrain, Shocks (claim they are building their own), etc etc

I read somewhere the rumor was they were somehow partnering with another manufacturer to have everything built in a new plant in Texas. No idea how legitimate any of this is, but there are a lot of details to be hammered out yet. They will likely learn first hand what its like to have things not make the final product due to costs, etc all the while they blamed AC for things that didnt make it.

That 4 seater looks dang sweet though, but from folks that drove the Arctic Cat 4XX prototypes they said it was the best handling machine they had ever driven so its a bummer that may never see the light of day. Its dimensions were NOT the same as the Speed 4XX.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I saw the Speedcats in Glamis over the Thanksgiving holiday. We stopped and checked them out and talked to the guys. They are not using the Z1, but will be using a motor based off the Z1 platform. Sounded like they were still trying to figure it out. I will be very impressed if they are able to deliver the 4 seaters by October of next year.

·
Vendor
182 Posts
Z1 motor has been around for years and is about the most impressive 2 cylinder motor available. It has been proven by countless shops to be capable of over 600HP. It has an incredibly strong design, great head, and insane potential. We have run one in our shop RZR900 for years and at well over 45psi of boost without even batting an eye. We are actually going to up the boost again soon and see if we can get 55-60psi to hold... :)

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I saw the Speedcats in Glamis over the Thanksgiving holiday. We stopped and checked them out and talked to the guys. They are not using the Z1, but will be using a motor based off the Z1 platform. Sounded like they were still trying to figure it out. I will be very impressed if they are able to deliver the 4 seaters by October of next year.
Impressed, or shocked???

·
Registered
162 Posts
On time delivery??? Reminds me of that song, "Now I've got heartaches by the number, troubles by the score..."

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think that Robby will contact suzuki and they will start production of that engine again and then he can have it 3rd party manufactured for him. Its an amazing engine and thats probablly what he had on his original speedcat from years ago.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I think that Robby will contact suzuki and they will start production of that engine again and then he can have it 3rd party manufactured for him. Its an amazing engine and thats probablly what he had on his original speedcat from years ago.
Don’t see that happening....think of the tooling cost to go back in time 10 years to produce that motor. He could try and “copy” it but that could be difficult also for a lot of reasons. All just my opinion so take it for what that’s worth.

The Speed test mules of the XX that where running around without plastic a few years back were all some variation of the Yami triple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,615 Posts
Don’t see that happening....think of the tooling cost to go back in time 10 years to produce that motor. He could try and “copy” it but that could be difficult also for a lot of reasons. All just my opinion so take it for what that’s worth.

The Speed test mules of the XX that where running around without plastic a few years back were all some variation of the Yami triple.

Definitely don't see it happening. Suzuki is on life support, and they won't take on any unnecessary chances on a few (under 100?) engines. If anything Gordon goes after a similar block that is readily available.

Reactions: 1HasBeen

·
Registered
162 Posts
After the Suzuki bankruptcy several years ago, it's a wonder they are even still in the powersports game. Their market share is nil. There is a rumor that is probably not worth repeating, but it goes that RG happened upon a stash of Z1s in a warehouse, whose I don't know, and that is the basis for this initial run of 250(?). First, I doubt it is true, and second who in their right mind would tool up a car based on some rummage sale engines, and then have to totally re-tool to use something else. And to just tool up another engine from scratch?? Good luck with that. It takes large manufacturers years to properly develop an engine, and reverse engineered Chinese copies of good designs, are almost always poor imitations riddled with problems. This has pipe dream written all over it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Robbie is resourceful and smart. I doubt that he is going to put himself or his company in a position of not being able to deliver. He could however purchase the rights to the engine design and then have it built. Or purchase a platform that is already in production. Possibly for another application. As an XX owner I will sit and cheer him on and provided the product lives up to the hype I will buy a couple in a year or so.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Robbie is resourceful and smart. I doubt that he is going to put himself or his company in a position of not being able to deliver. He could however purchase the rights to the engine design and then have it built. Or purchase a platform that is already in production. Possibly for another application. As an XX owner I will sit and cheer him on and provided the product lives up to the hype I will buy a couple in a year or so.
Well said and I think the same thing. I would not be surprised if he used a Kymco or like motor... the little trail/sport 700 in a 1000cc trim would be a great candidate. Actually the head on it is also basically a Zuke copy....honestly it is a great motor!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Which parallel twin Suzuki is it a copy of? So, with Kymco's founding by, and current affiliation with Honda, they used a Suzuki design?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Which parallel twin Suzuki is it a copy of? So, with Kymco's founding by, and current affiliation with Honda, they used a Suzuki design?
Not saying a copy just that the head/port design has a close resemblance of the hayabusa/Z1 design.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That z1 engine is legendary and has proven itself in snowmobiles. Anyone needing a performance 1000cc would be smart to use that platform instead of trying to design a new engine. Or maybe robby will just use the 998turbo engine thats in the sleds. That would be smart.

·
Registered
138 Posts

I dont believe this is accurate. For sure the mule they ran up on stage and around that mini course without plastic was NOT a triple. It was either a Z1 motor or a V-twin, clearly wasnt a triple and my guess is it was the 1000 vtwin from the X.
This is the vid I am talking about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts