Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have .7 mile on my Cat now. Yes, that's not a typo - less than a mile. When I backed it out of the garage today, I found this on the ground:
Wildcat bolt.jpg

A quick glance around the vehicle, I located several similar bolts that obviously belonged to the body. Okay, not anything to worry about. Off I went down the road to burnish these horrific brakes. Thats when I heard the faint sound of 'klink, klang, thud'. Luckily I was only at 10 mph and low RPM or I would not have heard anything. I got out of the Cat and looked at around the asphalt and found another identical body bolt. I decided to taker her home and do a full inspection to find the location of these bolts. I spent about an hour tightening every bolt on the rig. I would estimate about 7 loose bolts and 4 missing bolts. When I say loose, I am talking about 1/10th threaded area. Not good. I finished my inspection at the hood. I mentioned in another thread that my hood was flopping around on my first trip around the block. Well, this would be where the dropped bolts came from:

Wildcar hood.jpg Wildcat hood 2.jpg

I'm not surprised. Why? Because these are the hardest bolts to reach. I had to sidewinder my hand & arm through the side of the rig to try to re-thread & fully tighten them down. One was missing entirely, so I stole the same bolt from the bottom skid since they take a similar bolt. It's sad to me that the easy to access bolts on the hood were all secured properly but the hard-to-reach bolts were only started. Is this speculation on my part? No. Remeber that I said this rig has only .7 mile on it? It's not like it had time to 'work itself loose'. These bolts were just overlooked. As mentioned, there were several others that were loose as well. All belonged to the body, somewhere. I get to drive to the dealer to order more bolts.

As for the vehicle; I like it. It has good power and fun accelleration. Could it use more? Of course, but I am not about to buy an XP over the Cat based on power. I think it has fun power from my limited time in it. Stacked up against a Polaris, maybe I'll change my mind. But I don't ride with friends much, so it has enough delivery for me to enjoy. The finish work, however is very disappointing. It's either laziness or bad oversight. Mine was unit 4030. That's 4000 other units that they had to 'practice on' & polish their QC before getting to mine. I will comapare this to the old GM & Ford QC. It was common to find a loose part or two back in the 80's, but the Japanese imports were tight. It forced the domestic manufaturers to improve their finish quality to compete.

Let me put this another way: If I found 7 loose body mounting points on a Honda Civic straight off the showroom floor, I would take it back for a refund. Unfair comparison? A 2012 Honda Civic costs $1000 LESS than an Arctic Cat Wildcat. Why should I accept any less quality control on an OHV that costs more??

Maybe this is a vent more than a critique. I do like what I've experience so far. I do think this rig is going to be a ton of fun. But COME ON A/C, wake up your quality control managers. The consumer should not be forced to do your job before they head out to enjoy their purchase.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
As far as we can tell they started at least at 303500 maybe higher for regular production, so thats only 530 of them not 4000 of them. Not that it makes it any better that yours was not perfect, just clearing that part up.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
RPM, We picked up my sons Cat yesterday and trailered it home. I noticed in the mirror of the truck that the hood appeared to be loose and flapping in the wind. We inspected it today and found the corner bolts missing at the cowl end. The other bolts all were tight. He will have to get a bolt from the dealer too.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I had an opportunity to eye one of these up close and drive it in the dunes. I'll save the driving report for another thread, but I did notice some quality oversights and flat out design flaws.
The fuel level bounces around, kinda annoying.
The nets rattle - seriously? Can't invest $2 in o-rings our something?
The doors rub to the point it takes the paint of when you open them.
The steering wheel must have been installed on a Monday, because it is clocked at least an hour off from center. Had to spend the whole weekend driving straight with a wheel turning right.
The rear shock coil carriers between the two springs are too big and can slip/have slipped past the adjustable bump stops. Wtf is all I have to say about that.
.The glove box pops open.
The exhaust heats up the cargo bay to the point it is too hot to touch.
Some of this stuff its truly inexcusable. Most of it is fixable but it shouldn't be up to the consumer to do after spending $17k+

·
Registered
153 Posts
I spend so much money on dune toys, trucks and toy haulers that I almost forget how much these things cost. When you pointed out that a Honda Civic is $1000 less than the WC it really made me think about the cost of these things...and to your point, the quality for what you buy. You are so right, regardless of Polaris, CanAm or Arctic Cat, when you pay as much as we do for these things....they should have the same QC as the Honda Civic you mentioned. I know my Commander had missing bolts and loose stuff too... I know there were a few Commanders that were actually missing the nut in the u-joint in the drive shaft. Good times... lol

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
LOL if Arctic Cat sold 183,000 Wildcats per year like Honda does Civics (2011 sales) then there would be more content in it too. Thats with 2011 being a very poor year for sales, Honda sold 260,000 Civics in 2010. They sell as many Civics (and far more in a good year) in a day as Arctic Cat has built in the last 3 months.

Volume matters. Go down and have 1 custom widget built, see what it costs you. Then ask how much 100 of them will be and then ask how much 100,000 will be. Then try to sell 1 custom widget to recover your investment, see how that works out in what you need to charge for it. The numbers get better selling 100 of them and real good at selling 100,000 of course.

It is a short sighted analysis to expect they will have the same QC as Honda does an automobile under the terms that mass production and return on investment present.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The steering wheel must have been installed on a Monday, because it is clocked at least an hour off from center. Had to spend the whole weekend driving straight with a wheel turning right.
This is 100% dealer setup. It's very easy to be a spline or two off if you just eyeball it. We test drive 'em to make sure the steering is centered.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rode @ glamis again this weekend. Noted the oil cooler line on the passenger side was twisted and kinked (it's a rubber hose). Had to remove,reroute, and untwist to get it looking right. On another note the sand was much drier,lighter made long steep hills much more difficult than last weeks wet sand. Especially with stock tires aired way down. Xp much faster at the top paddles/smoothies. Down the drags the cat pulled a length to start,lost by two in a long race

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
as far as we can tell they started at least at 303500 maybe higher for regular production, so thats only 530 of them not 4000 of them. Not that it makes it any better that yours was not perfect, just clearing that part up.
my wildcat is 959

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So Tx, let me adjust the example. How about a Hyundai Accent? They are 12 grand. How many units do they sell? Enough to expect that your hood does not fly off driving down the road?

Not sure this should turn into a debate. Either you sell a product worthy of your asking price and put controls in place to ensure quality, or you short cut and take the risk of declining reputation. As I said, I'm happy with my purchase right now. I am also not impressed with the finish. For $18,000.00 I expected better.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Both of my Prowlers had QC issues as well. Very similar to what you are dealing with. It really is a pain in the butt. And I think Chris is exactly opposite on his opinion of this situation. I would expect some oversights from a run of 260,000 units. More than a few bad units would be normal. But when AC is making maybe 1000 Wildcats a year, they should have every nut and bolt tight. This has been an annoyance for years. I guess if the wrong nut or bolt didn't get tightened, it could be more serious..........

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Doesn't california have a lemon law? Maybe you can take it back and then you can get a rino or trex

Oh yeah I forgot big red
Doesn't this site have a lemon law? Maybe we could return you and get another Jackrabbit?? Hell, I'd even rather have another TxChristopher...........

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I hear what you are saying RPM but you just can't compare such a limited production vehicle to high mass production cars. Arctic Cat couldn't even sell out all the pre-orders and they have produced about 500 in 3 months which equates to maybe 2000 total in a year. Buy anything that is that low of production and the price will seem higher than the quality. If they spent major money on more in depth quality control and better fit and finish and charged a couple thousand more to cover that cost you would then say they are out of their mind charging that much. By the way they are $16,599 not $18,000 you cannot blame them that you have to pay taxes, and they aren't seeing a dime of that extra $1400 you are blaming them for.

Your expectations are off due to the way you are comparing it to true mass production vehicles, thats all. Hyundai is producing over 600,000 cars just for North America this year.

At any rate, they can do better and they should, but even trying to compare it to a mass produced automobile is ridiculous.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts