Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if thats a dumb question or not, but I'm looking for a either a 30" or 40" light bar with the combo pattern. Just wondering if its worth pay 3x more for a rigid light bar over brand x for hundreds less.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Depends on what kind of riding you do. If you are going to drive 80+ mph across TX at night or be in competition, I would definitely say Ridgid, Baja Designs or Heritic. Otherwise, if you are just cruising, you can save TONS of dough by buying either Tribal Whips, Totron, or many others on the market that are very good and excellent lumens/$$ spent. Before anyone jumps my sh!t about those brands, I currently own and run:

Rigid
Baja Designs
Vision X
Totron
Tribal Whips

Between my Teryx, Jeep JKU, and my Exmark I play with lots of different brands of lights as a hobby. Across all the listed lights above, I have yet to have a single failure from any of those brands. Buy one that mounts easily the way you want to mount it (end mounts, slide rail or bar clamps) and one that you would feel comfortable buying and not think about why you spent that much money.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I bought a cheap 30" light bar from brightlightsoffroad. They are a supporting vendor. It was less than $200. I am very happy with it. For my trail riding and duning at night, it is all I need. If something happens to it, I can replace it 2 more times for the price of a Rigid. The Rigid lights are great quality, I just couldn't see opening my wallet than far...........

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I run exploration outfitters 30 inch dual row light bar up front and a 20 inch in the back both work fantastic, and way less than a rigid

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
It's a tricky question; I just recently swapped my lights out for Rigid and couldn't be happier. Are there better values out there? Absolutely. Were the Rigids worth it for me? Absolutely. Would I spend the money again? Absolutely. They have far exceeded my expectations in every way and the cost was never really a deciding factor. We had already decided to purchase, then happened to find them at a Jeep show for about 30% off. After using them this weekend, I can honestly say I still would have been happy with them even at full retail price. My mild disappointment in my previous lights was the only thing that made me hesitant to try the Rigids, but they certainly did not disappoint!

Beyond the cost/value issue...it's extremely important to consider the application. I don't mean to add any complication to your decision, but I too was initially set on a combo bar and the Rigid Rep talked me out of it after discussing how and where I ride. In the end, at his recommendation, I went with a full spot bar and two dually D2s in the wheel wells and I have to say he was right on the money. I was initially overwhelmed by the brands, price differences, combinations of beams, light patterns, and powers that are available. It was extremely helpful talking with someone who had real world experience with a wide variety of vehicles and different applications.

Realistically, you can slap any bar on there and get more light than stock, which is definitely a good thing, but with some careful planning and thoughtful advice, you can put together a killer system that meets your expectations for performance and cost. Ultimately you have to make that decision...good luck! :cool: <--- Because I have to wear my shades at night now!

·
Registered
731 Posts
bblitz is on the money..I had a 30 inch less exspensive brand on my kawi teryx and went riding one night with a few buds they had 20 inch rigids and there was a noticable difference so I bought a rigid 30 inch for the teryx and man total day light I had an issue with that light when I called rigid he said whats your shipping address I said why he said I am sending you a brand new light do I need to over night it to you... I was floored. He said just send the old one back so we can look into any possible probs. So I bought a 40 inch rigid combo flood spot and put the d-2's in the fender wheels on my X. I am sold on rigid

·
Registered
543 Posts
I run a set of rigid Dually's flood and a ANZO 20" light bar it all spot.
You could get a good light bar for cheaper trailworthey fab sale some good lights at a good price

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The thing with Rigid, is they will almost always replace or fix your light for free if something happens to it, they will hook you up if you roll your rig and mess up the light too. I've got a 20" bar that was acting up and they wanted it back regardless if I got it working, they where going to send me a brand new one no questions asked, just to find out what was wrong with it. That right there is worth the extra $$ to me.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I've been happy with my Totron 30" .. it's serviceable in case light was ever to go out. I could not justify the price for rigid, just me though, no question rigid is great lights, 2nd to none, but your going to pay top $$ for it as well.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I guess my riding style is a little unique for my location. I'm in SE Texas where everybody loves to mud. I'm not one of them. However, I don't always have the luxury of picking the time to ride when there's a drought. So I do get muddy occasionally. That's why I'm not too hot about putting dually lights in the wheel wells. The place I ride closes at six, so I can't ride at night during the summer. Now, here's my twist. I have family in southern California and we go to glamis twice a year. Trying to figure out what would be best for me. I'm thinking about putting a 10" spot on the front bumper, and a 40" combo on top of the cage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I run a 20" Rigid and love it. had a RZR-S riding infront of me one night about 100 yards up. He eventually just turned off his headlights and was using the light from my 20" bar. The 30's are awesome and the 40's are ridiculous. Could only imagine what the 50's shine like. Yes, they are expensive. BUt, like everyone else here who owns them; they are worth the money. As testament by others, Rigid is awesome about fixing/replacing their stuff at no cost. Yeah, you could buy 2 or 3 other lights for one rigid at retail, but that Rigid is covered for life, and its MADE IN THE USA!!!

·
Registered
808 Posts
We are a Rigid Industries dealer.... These lights offer a Lifetime Warranty and Superior Light!

Are they worth it?? I guess that all depends on what you expect to get for the money you spend. There are other lights out there that will do the job just fine for less, but do I believe they are equal quality? No. As long as you know what your buying you should be happy with your purchase.

We have 20" SR-Series and D2's in stock. We are making another order currently. PM for details....

Chris
Devious PowerSports

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I run a 20" Rigid and love it. had a RZR-S riding infront of me one night about 100 yards up. He eventually just turned off his headlights and was using the light from my 20" bar. The 30's are awesome and the 40's are ridiculous. Could only imagine what the 50's shine like. Yes, they are expensive. BUt, like everyone else here who owns them; they are worth the money. As testament by others, Rigid is awesome about fixing/replacing their stuff at no cost. Yeah, you could buy 2 or 3 other lights for one rigid at retail, but that Rigid is covered for life, and its MADE IN THE USA!!!

"MADE IN THE USA!!!" It is my understanding that parts are made in China and assembled in the USA. Granted there are a lot of American Companys that insist on high quality parts from China and I will assumme for argument sake Rigid is one of them. I am still not sold on them being worth 4 times the cost of other offereing's out there!

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
That would have been a fun commercial to make!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't think I really need a bullet proof light that can still somewhat work if I cut it in half. Not for the price their asking anyways.

·
Registered
177 Posts
now you know why they are so expensive. They need to cover the cost of all the ones they beat up to show how tough they are. I can guarantee my Tribal Whips 45" bar has taken shots harder that the baseball bat, it took a shot so hard last summer from a huge limb that it ripped the mount bolts through the roof and kept on shinning. It was definitely pointed the wrong way but still shinning! Totally not the lights fault, Kawasaki should have put a warning label on my Teryx "objects over trail appear higher than what they are when looking through beer googles".

·
Registered
396 Posts
There are only two reasons why any company can keep their prices high like Rigid does, and still stay in business

1. reason is, you are the only one who makes or carries a particular product and have no competition or make a propitiatory product (Like Apple)

2. Or you make a superior product and even though there are cheaper versions available, people end up buying your product even after buying a cheaper brand.

Yes they are more expensive, but the lights do put out on the average, more Lumins, they somewhat bullet proof and made well, which makes them more reliable & they stand behind their product 100% And all of that cost more to do

And yes, you may be able to buy 2 or 3 to 1, but it only takes ounce to be stranded in the dark without the proper lights to know why people do gravitate to Rigid

Reactions: clane
1 - 17 of 17 Posts