Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start, After reading all the Cat sand reports I have read on the form I was truly expecting the worse. Not knowing exactly what to do with tires I had Dave @ Fullerton Sand Sport hook me up with some 12" spun alu Douglas wheels he had made to fit the Cat mounted some eight paddle 26" tall Scats a Very light combo and stock fronts. Just a note I have been dunning @ Glamis for fifteen years with everything two wheelers, under powered four seat Funco to 600HP chevy powered cars!

First morning headed toward the hill from Gecko started with some small rolling dunes every thing good, Maybe to much power for the paddle combo? running in two wheel drive and having way to much fun we headed into the big bowls went every ever we wanted with the only problem being at steepest part on the top I was blowing out the paddles causing the back to slide out before transitioning into the next Bowl. FIX run the big bowls in four wheel drive 10 times better what a blast to drive.

Sat at the hill for a while until I got tired of answering questions about the Cat, Just before leaving saw two RZR's that had just started up the hill they were almost through the whoops when I started into the
whoops the 800 was struggling about half hill and the cat walk right past him and we passed the 900 briskly about thirty yards before the top, don't know anything about the two RZR's other then after going over the top they were quite a way behind me!!!

I will say learn to drive this Machine before you start bagging on it! one of the hardest things to do is back out of the gas for a split second to let the clutch shift down and this will keep your wheel speed at the top!!!

All thing said I have been in the desert and the dunes and I am A very happy Camper. NO PROBLEMS.

I did hear of another cat that was at glamis that blew two belts with very few miles on it (Rumor)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice! Wish I would have seen you out there...Went out with stock tires -Here's my report:

Took my Wildcat out to Glamis for the first time this weekend...This is the first side-by-side I've owned and as such I can't really compare it to the others out there, but I can at least give my opinion on the toy. I do however have a long travel busa car, so I can compare the wildcat to it - at least in regards to suspension and dune-ability.

To me, the Wildcat is like a Cadillac - It's just so smooth through whoops and effortless to drive, I can't describe it any other way. I had the most fun taking it on the little tight whooped up trails on the outskirts of the dunes and around the smaller roller dunes just north of Gecko RD. It did fine in the larger dunes, but I just feel the side-by-sides aren't really in their element in the middle of the larger dunes. I noticed in the larger dunes I can't just go anywhere like I can in my sandcar, I have to pick my lines more carefully and make sure I get a nice run at the steeper sections. Don't get me wrong, it will make it up everything even if I don't pick the best line, but I've never been one to ride full throttle the whole time in anything I own - 1/2 to 3/4 with and occasional full here and there...Basically it's a little more challenging in a side-by-side in the larger dunes, but I actually enjoy that aspect - Makes it more like an adventure.

Again, I can't compare it to the RZR or other sxs's, but all in all I am very happy with my new toy. It rides and handles awesome and things will only get better with time - Sand tires, clutch work, engine mods, etc.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sounds promising!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O forgot to mention that is was just my wife, myself and the Cat most of the trip, a lil nerve racking after hearing all the problems in Glamis! but we did have a good size cooler if anything was to go wrong. HA HA

·
Registered
124 Posts
Before I start, After reading all the Cat sand reports I have read on the form I was truly expecting the worse. Not knowing exactly what to do with tires I had Dave @ Fullerton Sand Sport hook me up with some 12" spun alu Douglas wheels he had made to fit the Cat mounted some eight paddle 26" tall Scats a Very light combo and stock fronts. Just a note I have been dunning @ Glamis for fifteen years with everything two wheelers, under powered four seat Funco to 600HP chevy powered cars!

First morning headed toward the hill from Gecko started with some small rolling dunes every thing good, Maybe to much power for the paddle combo? running in two wheel drive and having way to much fun we headed into the big bowls went every ever we wanted with the only problem being at steepest part on the top I was blowing out the paddles causing the back to slide out before transitioning into the next Bowl. FIX run the big bowls in four wheel drive 10 times better what a blast to drive.

Sat at the hill for a while until I got tired of answering questions about the Cat, Just before leaving saw two RZR's that had just started up the hill they were almost through the whoops when I started into the
whoops the 800 was struggling about half hill and the cat walk right past him and we passed the 900 briskly about thirty yards before the top, don't know anything about the two RZR's other then after going over the top they were quite a way behind me!!!

I will say learn to drive this Machine before you start bagging on it! one of the hardest things to do is back out of the gas for a split second to let the clutch shift down and this will keep your wheel speed at the top!!!

All thing said I have been in the desert and the dunes and I am A very happy Camper. NO PROBLEMS.

I did hear of another cat that was at glamis that blew two belts with very few miles on it (Rumor)
So are you saying it's best to let off the gas a little before you start to bog down on the hill and then hit the gas again?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree you 100%, I was very happy with the way mine ran in the dunes on Presidents

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just saying learn how the car works and then drive it to its potential, and yes it is hard to let of when someone is rolling next to you but yes let the clutch do its job!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'll have to try that out.

Another tactic is to always start the race before the big whoops, preferably the biggest whoops around. As you hit them at full speed, the XP will have to slow down to about 15 mph to get through them. By the time you are halfway up the hill, he's now 15 lengths behind you. As you carry your momentum up the hill, he only catches up by about 5 lengths, and you beat him by an easy 10 lengths.

Why? Because in the real world, SUSPENSION matters more than HP.

LMAO

·
Vendor
508 Posts
Just saying learn how the car works and then drive it to its potential, and yes it is hard to let of when someone is rolling next to you but yes let the clutch do its job!
Makes perfect sense, my wife has a big 4x4 quad that I've ridden in the dunes before and I always felt tapping the brake was almost like a downshift, I guess it was...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts