Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced upper aarm ball joints with the gold body black stem ones from ebay....dont buy these. One snapped and other was bent over ready to go, only about 120 miles on them.
First ball joint is original, second is junk Ebay gold body black stem, third and forth are 4130 American Star. The original and American Star are almost identical in construction.
Ball joint stem at thinnest point on second junk one is 9.97mm. Original one is 11.42mm and 4130 American Star is at 11.58mm.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am changing mine this weekend. I bought (ALL BALLS RACING) ball joints. I hope they are quality ones.

The all balls ball joints look like the junk ones I'm warning about.... the junk ones i bought came from atvpartsconnection and looked like the all balls. Since you bought them, pull the boot and check but I wouldn't use them if they are the junk ones. American Star 4130 ball joints are almost identical to the original AC ball joints and have the pivot range necessary.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
^^ Keep us updated on how they work out if you would :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
The all balls ball joints look like the junk ones I'm warning about.... the junk ones i bought came from atvpartsconnection and looked like the all balls. Since you bought them, pull the boot and check but I wouldn't use them if they are the junk ones. American Star 4130 ball joints are almost identical to the original AC ball joints and have the pivot range necessary.
Thank you for the heads up. I pulled the boot back and they are the GARBAGE type. They look just like the bent Chinese ones in your picture. I am send back. Got mine from Summit Racing.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

·
Registered
285 Posts
I bought factory ones from Rocky Mountain and pushed it pretty hard last ride. They seem to be good. Remember to use green loctite on install

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought factory ones from Rocky Mountain and pushed it pretty hard last ride. They seem to be good. Remember to use green loctite on install
I used red loctite...if balljoint fits a little loose, here's what I did to a couple of ball joint boss's to get the tight interference fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
^^ Keep us updated on how they work out if you would :cool:
Got the deed done, I bought the American Star 4130 and they look much better that the All Balls Racing (Chinese) ball joints. Upper's were easy.. Lower's were a lot more difficult. Tough to get past the axel. I have a couple questions for you experts out there. I had a couple of them that just fell in the hole. So I did a little center punch knurling. First one I did I had trouble pressing the new one in and did not like pressing very hard on the stem. I put a socket on the boot and screwed it up pretty bad. What is the right way or tool to use?

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
First one I did I had trouble pressing the new one in and did not like pressing very hard on the stem. I put a socket on the boot and screwed it up pretty bad. What is the right way or tool to use?
Remove the boot / press in / re-install the boot

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
That is what I did on the second one. getting that spring ring back on is all but impossible without the proper tool.
RSX, where did you get that needle for your grease gun?
For those "ring types" use some piston ring expanding pliers or expand the ring with a fixed object on one side / finger on the other then use needle nose vise grips to hold it open while you slide it over the boot.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I have always heard and read that oem were the best. I have an 18 4x and have not found a need to replace them yet. Currently I am down with a chewed up rear diff. Ring gear is all jacked up......all the bearings look fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts