Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've decided I'm going to put Bandit springs on my 2 trails as we are constantly bottoming out right now. We're just not sure if we want the lighter springs or the heavier springs. Both machines are used mainly for slow trail riding in the trees and rocks. We usually don't see above 30mph on a ride.

Machine 1 - Wife's machine. Maybe 250 lbs or so with wife, kid, cargo (gas/ cooler).
Machine 2 - My machine. I'm about 200 lbs, plus 35 lbs for my co-pilot (son) or my bag. Some cargo <50 lbs. I may or may not have another adult with me (maybe 175 lbs) plus their 30 lb bag.

We also have larger racks on the rear that are a bit heavier than normal down bars and we are adding a spare tire to each soon. I think the racks are probably about 35 lbs each.

A lot of posts on here make it look like we should get the heavier springs. We could set the preload light if we want and crank it down when we load up with all of our camp gear (doesn't happen often, but we're looking to do more).

On the other hand, I see a lot of posts stating their ride is stiffer in the slower sections, but gets nice at speed. One poster even went back to the stock springs on the front and only used the Bandits on the rear. This has me thinking maybe we should get the lighter set. I'm not really disappointed with the ride of the stock springs, just tired of adjusting to get better ground clearance.

So, what do you guys say... light or heavy? Light on the wife's machine and heavy on mine? TIA.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I'm about 200 better half 140, sounds like our riding is very similar, trails at mostly lower speeds. We have the heavy Bandits and when I installed them I preloaded them about 1 inch on a fully extended shock, haven't touched them since. Gained a lot of ground clearance and no bottoming with plenty of spring travel. You'll be happy.

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
That's a tough call. I have the heavier spring set, because at the time I bought mine that was all they had available. In the slower stuff it can ride a little stiff, but when I went out to the Black Hills ride, I was glad I had them. If all I was going to do, was ride the types of trails we have here, I'd be good with the softer spring set. But since I've started branching out to different types of riding. I'm glad I have the heavier springs. I could soften mine up even more, but I think I've found a good happy medium. It doesn't bottom at all and it's not all that bad in the slow stuff either. If you do plan on carrying more stuff on yours, I would probably go with the heavier spring set and if your wife's isn't going to change much, the lighter ones should be fine. All I know is you'll be much happier when you get rid of the saggy old stock ones. lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put the lighter springs on mine. My buggy has about 180 lbs of aftermarket parts and gear. I am 200 lbs. The springs have served me well on the trails. Not too stiff and gained about an inch of clearance. Now have 400 miles on them and im still happy.

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
lets put it this way...think mark and darcy need to eat more food (especially darcy)...i'm larger and try to carry everything i'll never use (hopefully) on/in our trail...we didn't have the option of the light spring set when we got ours...have had the heavy springs on both of our rigs and have been very happy with the ride/handling...the oem springs would only be good for a large ballpoint pen refill...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Went with the 175/200. Seem very good overall, cranked up a bit, maybe a tad rough in some slow spots but at higher speeds still takes the holy hell situations so much better than spine adjusting oem's.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Next purchase for me for sure... Probably going to go with the lighter ones for comfort

Sent from my LG 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL. Still seems about split :) Thanks for the input guys. I called Bandit and they said if I had a custom cage that was heavier with 2 guys, tools, and spare tires or if I was wide open desert riding hitting jumps and such to go with the heavier ones. He said for the slower riding I will have a more comfortable ride with the lighter springs and I can always pre-load them a little more when I put in a bunch of cargo (which he made it sound like I might not even have to do). I'll let you know how they are once I get them installed. Now I play the waiting game. I hope they come soon 'cause I'm planning on greasing my bearings and would like to do this at the same time.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
132 Posts
I went with the heavy and sometimes wish they were even stiffer. I ride hard most of the time but haven't noticed them being too stiff at slower speeds. Have noticed they don't bottom nearly as much as the soft oem's.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I just bought lighter ones .
I do not carry a passenger or a load.
28's for tires how heavy (Preload) did you guys load them?
I ripped the top a arm mount out my trail, I have that all beefed up and fixed.
like to get the springs on while i have the shocks off.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Since bottoming out in OP thread refereed to dragging bottom, not bottoming the springs & since most speeds are under 30mph I think he'll be happy with the lighter springs.
I went with a homebuilt 2" lift in the front of mine & stock springs with 175lb Prowler springs in back.
It rides good with plenty of GC even with my 200lb & wifes 160 compressing them, personally for my driving I would not go any heavier.
If my front (145lb) stock springs finally crap out I'll replace with 175s, for now they seem to have stopped sagging & work very well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Recently installed the medium Bandit springs. Question, am I supposed to measure the clearance to the standard 10.5” front and 10” rear? Or should it be more? I know others are saying they’re gaining 1” to 2” of clearance while keeping 50” stance. Recommendations?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you, I like it when it’s that easy. Is it necessary to have the rear 0.5” higher than the front? What’s the consensus on clearance that is “safe” 11, 12 or 13 without getting too tippy?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You should be able to go 11" front & rear before the wheelbase starts to get narrower than stock.
Unless you have 50" gates to get thru, 1-1/2" spacers make them much more stable in off-camber situations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A little extra width on these machines is a great idea. Very rarely do I encounter 50” gates. Spacers ordered. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Get the heavy ones. Its not that stiff of a ride

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get the heavy ones. Its not that stiff of a ride
I ordered the Medium springs close to a year ago and just recently installed them. Definitely debated Medium or Heavy for a good while. Currently carrying 2 axels and spare tire in the rear and now thinking Heavy would have been the better choice. Haven’t taken out for a ride yet to judge, plus can always lighten the load in the rear if needed.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thought I would post a follow-up to this thread since it's been revived. I ordered the light set initially and it was not working out for me. Since the rear of the light set is the spring rate of the front on the heavy set, I contacted Bandit and they were able to send me just the rears (240) of the heavy set. I'm now running the heavy set. The suspension will not sag, but with all my extra gear I'm only getting the stock clearance. I kind of wish they had a beefier set for the rear, like 280 lbs. I checked their website and I know see they're offering a medium rate as well. Does anyone know what the rates are for their new medium set and did heavy rate stay the same or did it increase?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts