Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like every time I go out ridding for more then 30 min I rip a belt. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm on 29.5 terminators and just basic trail riding ... Very little mudding. Also my gas peddle is very hard. Any mechanics in the Houston area?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
It sounds like your clutch is out of alignment for it to be ripping belts that fast. And I have no clue about the gas peddle

·
Administrator
27,673 Posts
The belt thing could be a couple different things, alignment, operator driving style, elements. Gas peddle, could be a kink/bend in the throttle cable. I have seen that before. Are you getting 100% throttle reading on the gauge?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Did you do any clutching or are you totally stock running those tires? Year of 'Cat? Type of Clutch? Any mods? Blower? Temp Gauge?

it is shredding under load or exploding when you're off the gas?

Shooting from the hip here; if you are driving in high, at low speeds, with large tires and no clutch upgrades, with consistent foot in the gas and the belt goes when you let off and looks like seaweed when you pull the cover...you are overheating the belt and blowing it. Get a blower to keep it cool and change your driving style to "hard on, get outta the gas, hard on, get outta the gas" haha good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing that's been changed is the is the springs and bushings. I just ordered a new set of 24 gram weights. But when I do take the cover off it's usually chunked. I don't think it's the way I drive it for that reason. I'm scared to get crazy on it b cuz of the belt problem. Am I doing something else wrong!?

·
Administrator
27,673 Posts
How are you driving it? A steady speed, or giving it gas, giving it brakes, and repeating? SXS' s don't like that steady one speed deal, it will heat up a belt fairly quickly. It might be an alignment problem. Have you ever taken the secondary off? Were the shim/shims there? Did you put them back?

·
Registered
269 Posts
have you taken the cover off immediately after popping a belt? if you're blowing it by overheating it, you wont be able to touch anything in there. Wet Clutch?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't but maybe the previous owner did. I think it might be the alignment. But yes drive it at a steady speed��

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
have you taken the cover off immediately after popping a belt? if you're blowing it by overheating it, you wont be able to touch anything in there. Wet Clutch?
No I haven't usually I have to pull it back. But yes wet clutch. It's a 2012

·
Administrator
27,673 Posts
I haven't but maybe the previous owner did. I think it might be the alignment. But yes drive it at a steady speed��
Driving at a steady speed is a sure way to build up heat in the clutch which will transfer to the belt. Some will disagree, and that's fine, but I always recommend driving a SXS like a 2 stroke dirt bike. On the gas, off the gas, on the gas, on the brakes, never just a steady speed. The clutch and the secondary during a steady speed don't really get the chance to expand and contract and as such heat the belt. But if you are the second owner, maybe the first did some clutch work, and might have forgot to put the shims on behind the secondary. You might want to check that. Also it's been mentioned, but look into a clutch blower. You can either buy one, UTV Inc. Makes one, or buy the pieces yourself for less. Do a search, and you will see quite a few threads on the subject. Good luck, let us know what you figure out.

·
Registered
269 Posts
No I haven't usually I have to pull it back. But yes wet clutch. It's a 2012
Put one tool in your glove box with an extra belt. takes about 20-30 minutes to change on the trail. No need to "pull it back". oh and dont forget the needlenose, you will need those to get the pieces out if the clutch is smoking hot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Put one tool in your glove box with an extra belt. takes about 20-30 minutes to change on the trail. No need to "pull it back". oh and dont forget the needlenose, you will need those to get the pieces out if the clutch is smoking hot.
Gotta get good at fixing it. It sux having to pay for it

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
How fast do you trail ride? Anything below about 35 and you should be running in Low gear with those tires on there. If you are running in low, then there is something going on with the clutch itself.........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts