Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the size thread the tool you use to open the clutch to change the belt. I have either lost mine or it did not have one ne the tool kit.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
5/16" NF (24 pitch) w/ threaded area approx 2.5" long.

Reactions: lonniewrights

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your are right but I need to see how it's going to be out on the trail, I bought a bolt the correct size and have opened the sheave but dang it's tight between the clutch and housing. The gap is not as wide as the belt.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I carry a cordless impact with on the trail. Easier to take outer sheave off on the trail

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got the belt changed and let me say, Textron this is a poor design for sure. All they had to do was add an extra half in to the housing and this would be a easy job. The belt an the gap are exactly the same size and it's near impossible to line the belt and the gap up even. On the trail after dark or in bad weather changing the belt with out taking the outer section off would really @$%#. Now for new brake pads while I wait on my steering rack to get here.🤪

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Pulling the outer sheave of the secondary definitely makes changing the belt a breeze, but if you don't get the bolt torqued properly, it can loosen and destroy the splines in the sheave. BTDT. The secondary clutch freewheels in Park, so getting it properly torqued isn't easy without a strap wrench.

Also, the cupped belleville washer on the retaining bolt is supposed to keep constant torque, but on the two XXs I've looked at, both had flattened out significantly.

Doing the belt the seemingly easy way isn't without peril.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your are right but I need to see how it's going to be out on the trail, I bought a bolt the correct size and have opened the sheave but dang it's tight between the clutch and housing. The gap is not as wide as the belt.
Pack a wood dowel or hammer handle with you to jam between the sheave and the housing. Still a pain, but doable. I've never had a belt failure in 3K miles

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, I got the belt changed and let me say, Textron this is a poor design for sure. All they had to do was add an extra half in to the housing and this would be a easy job. The belt an the gap are exactly the same size and it's near impossible to line the belt and the gap up even. On the trail after dark or in bad weather changing the belt with out taking the outer section off would really @$%#. Now for new brake pads while I wait on my steering rack to get here.🤪
What belt did you go with and why?

·
Registered
2020 Wildcat XX
7 Posts
A whole house water filter wrench fits over the outer secondary sheave and engages the raised fins perfectly thus enabling you to torque to 60ftlbs with relative ease. Lock the wrench handle against the axle and stabilize in place while torqueing/removing the fastening center bolt.
The Speed secondary clutch lock will prevent bolt from backing out caused by clutch engaging/disengaging.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What belt did you go with and why?
I went with OEM, lots of after market belts out there but I have not heard much good things about them. I wanted to have a spare belt so just got a new one and will keep the old one for a spare. Never know when one is gonna blow up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts