Wildcat Forum banner

Belt explosion nightmares!

8K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  kinetikavfx 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone

I need help finding a solution to belt overheating and blowing up frequently on the wildcat, we have two units with the push turbo stage 2 at 10 psi each, there is no way to keep the belts from overheating, we race a lot this units and we need to find a way to keep the belts alive.

We tried the evp belts, stock belts, installing a fan directly on the belt case, torqueing to specs the clutches, scotchbrite clean the clutches, we also did the proper break in on the belts, etc...

Is there a reliable aftermarket solution to keep the belts from exploding?

I open to all suggestions!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Welcome kinetikavfx. If your clutch and your secondary are out of line, definitely would contribute to the heat and belt breaking. I'm thinking it has to be your machines, guys did the Baja without breaking belts.

Reactions: izom
#3 ·
Belt alignment is the first thing. You should be able to slip a business card down both sides of the belt on the primary. If one side is tight then you need to shim the secondary.

Second, a heavier secondary spring adds more clamping force to the clutch to keep the clutch from slipping. Not sure what clutch work you have with the Push turbo but it is something to consider.

What fan do you have on the clutch housing? Speed uses a stock XX radiator fan on the clutch cover right over the secondary and they have great belt life.

I saw a Supercharged XX blow a belt while running hard in some heavy sand whoops, and then blow another one on the road a little while later. It turns out the secondary sheave got bent when the first belt broke and then the new belt had no chance. We changed the secondary sheave and no more problems.

Also you probably know to never try to build boost while on the brake for a launch. This will hour-glass a belt instantly.

Last, give us some info, details, pics, opinions, about the Push turbo. There's not much info out there and some of us are considering it.

#4 ·
The push turbo kit is very improvised, I would not recomend it, it does provide decent power but Idk how long will it last, it uses a dinojet power commander v and a display from them too, the turbo unit itself appears to be a a garret Chinese knock off (te turbo unit has no branding at all) , the water to air intercooler has a very small water pump imo, the intercooler radiator itself it's too small also, whe installed Hess aftermarket rear mounted radiators, and Andrew from LaRue performance recommended me to replace the intercooler radiator for the original wildcat radiator for better air intake temperatures.

I will check the clutch alignment, I haven't check that.

#9 ·
I was checking the shop manual and they use a clutch aligning bar, that literally looks like a stick but there is no very much information or tips on how to use it, anyone here has any info on that tool? Can it be replicated somehow?

#14 ·
He did say it was just his opinion. I have seen troubling things about Push in recent months, more so about their customer service/support, but still. It looks like Ken is struggling a bit.

#17 ·
Please explain your setup. Primary spring, primary weights, secondary spring and helix. If your setup is off it will create mega heat and no belt will last. Is there belt chalking on the clutch faces and if so where at. Alignment is important but so are all the parts in the system. Are you getting proper air to them to help cool the secondary? Lots to look at.

#18 ·
I have a Sport 700 with push Turbo 10 PSI , i have over 2000 miles on this setup . clutching is more PIA than putting system on . Too much clutch spring creates heat , running 100/155 primary and 66 gram primary weight. 2016 sport secondary clutch with improved helix, 160/205 secondary spring. engagement is around 2200. i drive on street to Silver Lake Sand Dunes 90% of the time , i do some woods driving 2 x A year. I have A 3' bilge blower and holes in cover with frog SKINZ . one85* day i went out with stock cover ,no blower, belt temp went over 180*. I got my AZZ home carefully and took that cover back off. If you run mud ??? but for sand and street vents in cover are the answer In my opinion . Hope this helps you a bit. I have run stiffer primary for playing in sand , RUNS HOTTER WITH MORE SPRING Preasure

#19 ·
I picked up a new Push stage 1 recently from a 3rd party, at a discount. I was talking to Ken about it before the purchase. The plan was to upgrade it to stage 2. However, after I picked it up, I was never able to reach Ken again, going on two weeks now. I tried calling, emailing and texting- no luck. He said he was putting pricing together for a stand alone ecu flash that didn't need the power commander gear. The idea was to buy his flash, sensors and engine kit. But I just can't reach him.

I'm having my local shop finish the install- I dropped the turbo in and took it up to them. We are just doing the stage one until this is all sorted out. I've been talking to Larue about creating a hybrid, using his electronics and other gear. He said he has maps for the push turbo.

I mention all this because there may be some concern with Push at the moment. I'll be ok either way. I just wonder what happened?

In any event, I'll be happy to provide feedback on the clutch when I get to that point. But I believe Larue may be the one to reach out to.

#20 ·
I saw someone else report this recent "disappearance".. when they finally got a hold of him after he got back he told them they shouldn't be upset because he wasn't answering ANYONE in the time he was gone. uhh what? :pat:

#21 ·
I tried reaching Ken again today by phone. It went to voicemail and the shop line always answers as 'this user's mailbox isn't set up'. Again, this is all strange to me. I did confirm that Push is releasing an ECU flash using the Precision EFI tool, after talking to the folks at Precision. However, I can`t reach Push to purchase a flash or anything else. My shop is telling me they have no interest working with Push if they can't be reached? I think it is time to move to plan B. It is now closing in on a month of where is Waldo. He fell off the grid, on my account, on aprox. the 24th of September. I had talked to him on the 23rd and followed up on the 24th, when the no response started. I wish Push well- I hope nothing bad happened. But there are too many question to follow this track, at this point.

#25 ·
I saw Ken was down at Windrock with the Wildcat Riders group over the end of last week and weekend so it doesn't seem as if anything bad happened, other than his customer service lol.

#23 ·
We have learned that it is not just getting more cool fresh air into the housing. It is also making it easier to move that heated air out of the clutch housing. We modified a stock back cover and made our own exit to allow for this. May be something else for you to try.

Auto part Engine Machine Metal

Nate
Alba Racing

#24 ·
We have learned that it is not just getting more cool fresh air into the housing. It is also making it easier to move that heated air out of the clutch housing. We modified a stock back cover and made our own exit to allow for this. May be something else for you to try.

View attachment 244039

Nate
Alba Racing
That looks like a good idea, I might try something like that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.