Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
​Belt Issues seem to be a common problem for "duners". When AC was in Utah (Sept) testing the wildcat they were burning up belts. There test course didn't involve many hills, yet they were burning up belts, calling the factory to get more belts.
During the demo rides in Utah (Oct) 5 of the 6 Wildcats burned up belts "duning" on Friday, prior to Saturdays demo. It was like a panic situation! The sun was setting and the public was coming in the morning, machine after machine towed back and where do we get belts? The following morning the course was set so as not to attack any hills!
Now it seems as there are only a few machines out there and there still burning up belts in the sand. I was hoping after testing they would fix the problem, and really hoping after demos they would cure it. They were trying to tell everybody it was just a shim missing and not to worry!! But NO. Seems like it will be a real problem for us "duners".
How many belts burned up so far?
Whats the solution?
What is the cost?
How about the frustration of being "broke down" in a new 18K machine?

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I would think if the belts are burning up that AC should warranty them as long as they are under warranty until they figure out the problem. At least thats what they did on my M1000(snowmobile), I was blowing belts almost ever time I went. One day I blew 2 in one day. I would get the million pieces and take them back to my dealer and they would hand me a new one. Now that they changed a few things and a few more air vents, a new one will last all winter now.

So I wonder if it could be a heat problem and it needs some more air getting in there to help keep it cooler. I'll be looking at that and if there is anyway to put any kind of vents to get air to the clutches. This will be my first SxS so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
​Belt Issues seem to be a common problem for "duners". When AC was in Utah (Sept) testing the wildcat they were burning up belts. There test course didn't involve many hills, yet they were burning up belts, calling the factory to get more belts.
During the demo rides in Utah (Oct) 5 of the 6 Wildcats burned up belts "duning" on Friday, prior to Saturdays demo. It was like a panic situation! The sun was setting and the public was coming in the morning, machine after machine towed back and where do we get belts? The following morning the course was set so as not to attack any hills!
Now it seems as there are only a few machines out there and there still burning up belts in the sand. I was hoping after testing they would fix the problem, and really hoping after demos they would cure it. They were trying to tell everybody it was just a shim missing and not to worry!! But NO. Seems like it will be a real problem for us "duners".
How many belts burned up so far?
Whats the solution?
What is the cost?
How about the frustration of being "broke down" in a new 18K machine?
Can See That On The Demo Units But I Can Only Think Of One Person Posting About A Belt So Far Out Of The 1st 225
I Have Had No Problems with My Belt The 1st 50 Miles & I Beat The Heck Out Of It

Reactions: JackRabbit

·
Registered
153 Posts
I blew a bent in my Commander on my second trip out to the dunes right after I bought it. The Commander is known to have a weak link in the CVT belt department. The power and weight that the CVT has to endure is just too much in the dunes. I don't think they designed a new clutch system for the Commander, they just used the one out of their quad. I hope WC didn't do the same thing. All they had to do is go on the Commander forum and see how frustrated people were with blowing belts. Hopefully they took that info and designed a clutch setup that will handle the extra power/weight of the wildcat.

But to answer your question, its REALLY frustrating..at least from my experience with my Commander. I haven't had the issue yet with my XP but given the fact that all I do is dune, I am sure its gonna happen sooner or later. I can tell you the XP belt access is really easy. The Commander is a PITA and I am not sure about the Wildcat yet.

Oh and to add insult to injury for Commander owners, the belt that comes with the machine stock is hands down the best belt...but you cant buy a replacement! The replacement belt is a different part number and not the same quality....why on earth would they do that...just stupid. I think getting a belt replaced by warranty will be a tough sell... They can argue in so many ways how its not their fault.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Not sure that all of the first 225 are on this forum but there is quite a few. Hopefully the anomalies we have seen are just that. FoM after I steal 4nines ride I'm comin for yours!:saeek:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Can See That On The Demo Units But I Can Only Think Of One Person Posting About A Belt So Far Out Of The 1st 225
I Have Had No Problems with My Belt The 1st 50 Miles & I Beat The Heck Out Of It

The problem with driving in sand is that it's very hard to drive in, it takes a lot more hp than any other type of terrain due to how soft it is and the tires sinking in. It's really rough on drivetrains, so it's the best place to test how durable your clutches and belts are.

·
Registered
102 Posts
gearing

does anyone know what the wildcat is geared? do thet still put a tag on the front diff with the ratio? the 1000 prowler is geared 3.1 and this might be a tad high for flogging in the dunes all day,causing the belt to overheat and fail.

·
Vendor
508 Posts
Blown belts usually have to do with the loose nut behind the steering wheel. Still running the stock belt on our Commander and we've beat the heck out of it for a year and a half. Hard to explain in words, but you need to have a feel for when your abusing your belt. Maybe the easiest way to explain the feeling is riding a manual transmission up a hill a gear too high and bogging the engine, same goes for a CVT. When you load the belt like that it tears it up and you don't very often hear about belts going when driving in low gear. If you can avoid that bog down feel, your belts will last much longer.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would think if the belts are burning up that AC should warranty them as long as they are under warranty until they figure out the problem. At least thats what they did on my M1000(snowmobile), I was blowing belts almost ever time I went. One day I blew 2 in one day. I would get the million pieces and take them back to my dealer and they would hand me a new one. Now that they changed a few things and a few more air vents, a new one will last all winter now.

So I wonder if it could be a heat problem and it needs some more air getting in there to help keep it cooler. I'll be looking at that and if there is anyway to put any kind of vents to get air to the clutches. This will be my first SxS so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.
Us snow goer guys will not have the larger learning curve of those who do not mess with CVT systems all the time. I learned back in the 80's how to work these systems and would consider my self knowledgeable. The same system in UTVs.

I watch the work of Airdam and have his system in my '04 H2. I will tell you it was way better then stock ever was but it was not a 100% solution for my riding area. It still required tuning but I did stop burning belts for most of my riding. My wheeler is not just for recreation only either. It moves snow (has a Moose 60" County Plow) from Oct till Apr, hauls firewood between my properties pulling a trailer that can weigh well in excess of it's max towing capacity and it's carried a moose or two out of the woods every season since purchase. The early years I went thru about 2 belts a year. Some homemade tuning and I made almost two years or about 1000 miles on 28" Mud Bugs. Now with Airdam setup I get a little more then 2 grand on a belt before I replace, but they are done. My top speeds have dropped pretty drasitacally by then. By the end of this winter season I will have nearly 20,000 miles on my machine.

I have yet to find anyone out there that builds these machines or sells a clutch tune up kit that will work for everyone. As an owner you need to figure out what changes you need to make to make it work for you and your riding. Here in Alaska I run everything from sea level to 7/8 thousand feet, everything from mud, sand, snow, hard packed trails, rock crawling, mud bogging a couple hundred yards, deep water fording, crawling over hammocks and it could all be in the same ride.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Never had any belt issues in my Prowler 1000. I did blow the head gasket , but never a belt issue. But, it never did run the same after they replaced the head gasket. Never blew one in 3 years in my Prowler 650/720 either though...................

·
Registered
945 Posts
Never had any belt issues in my Prowler 1000. I did blow the head gasket , but never a belt issue. But, it never did run the same after they replaced the head gasket. Never blew one in 3 years in my Prowler 650/720 either though...................
With over 6,000 miles on my '06 Speedwerx big bore 700 Prowler, no belt issues and I have mine filtered on the intake side.

·
Registered
186 Posts
from my experience with RZRs on sand, the CVT will require regular maintenance and belts need to be replaced on a regular interval.
The more HP you put through it, the more often it will need maintenance.
With my turbo RZR I was replacing the belt every 500-600 miles. After 600 miles it would be ready to blow.
I had about 4,000 miles on mine with a turbo, then did an engine swap to a bigger engine and a bigger clutch with a bigger belt.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
In spirit of WOR's thread, are there replacement belts available for the WC yet? I'll be buying a couple spares immidiately. Anybody know if it's the same part # as the prowler?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i have heard belts were supposed to be taken through heat cycles when new??? i have about 800 miles on my current turbo rzr belt, i have noticed i hit the rev limiter alot lately, should i change it? sounds like the guys are burning the belts trying to keep up with the rzr. is anyone actually breakin in the belt?? or is that a myth>

1 - 20 of 46 Posts