Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty much beating a dead horse with this topic, but I'm going to try and get another conversation started out there about it. My question, is there anything special that others are doing to get more longevity out of the dreaded bevel gear in the secondary drive terrain? Is there an upgraded gear that has the adequate heat treat to prevent premature break down of the gear, or is this just going to be a consistent required 1500 mile repair? I really doubt that my leisurely driving trails and a 3 times to the dunes has abused the drive terrain to the point of failure. I have a 2016 Wildcat 4X that has 2800 miles on it but for the last 1000 it has been making “the noise” and I finally scoped my oil fill plug and discovered where my noise was coming from. The dealers that I talk with are very unaware of the issue and seem to know nothing about it. Hopefully there is someone out there that has had some luck with something other than buying something else.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
This is little more than speculation, but I believe the Arctic Cat engine oil has an additive package aimed at protecting the transaxle and bevel gears. If you've been running anything else, you might reconsider since those gears run in engine oil.

The closest situation that I've run across is from my roadracing background. Some of the front runners in Formula Ford would run Mobil1 engine oil in their Hewland transaxle for the slight power advantage. They paid for that with frequent Hewland rebuilds, where guys running proper lube might go 5 or 6 years and not touch it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have run Arctic Cat/Textron oil that they recommend to avoid any premature failures. Paying over 50 dollars s for a 2 1/2 quart oil change, I thought would make difference. Now I get to pull the engine... So while I'm at this point I'm trying to find what the best way forward is from here. Even if I have to pay extra to have it re heat treated or cryo treatment done.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
I once thought about getting gears made but couldn't get enough people interested. Had to have a certain number made to be worth while.

Reactions: Black Cat

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
OEM oil on both machine with bevel failures, now it's Rottela T6 (wet clutch compatible)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I once thought about getting gears made but couldn't get enough people interested. Had to have a certain number made to be worth while.

Did you try asking members on any social media? I have found more info on bevel gear issues on facebook than on this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
He has, which is why I didn't bother to mention cryo treating the gears.

I participate in the Facebook group from time to time. It is great for socializing, but I rarely see any tech knowledge on display compared to this site.

Reactions: Hollywood

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Are the additives to make a wet clutch diff the same ones that keep gears alive? I frankly don't know. I thought the stuff that made an oil friendly to wet clutches was more akin to the additives you put in gear oil to make a clutch-type limited slip function, and might not offer any help to things like bevel gears, which I kind of lump (right or wrong) into the ring and pinion category as far as what lube they need for best longevity.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
My understanding is that the posi additive for gear oil is to make the clutches slip if they are grabby had that problem in my 67 corvette until I added it. Clutches would chatter and grab if turning at slow speed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts